migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humidity and craqzy migraine aura today..a connection?

+3
Chairish1976
HeelerLady
tinalouise
7 posters

Go down

Humidity and craqzy migraine aura today..a connection? Empty Humidity and craqzy migraine aura today..a connection?

Post  tinalouise Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:28 am

Had the worst migraine aura today in a long time. The only connection I can make is the extreme high humidity today. It seems to bring it on for me but it was so scary I was going to go to the ER if it didn't subside. It did but it took a while, longer than usual. Does anyone know if there is a connection between the weather and migraine?

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Humidity and craqzy migraine aura today..a connection? Empty Re: Humidity and craqzy migraine aura today..a connection?

Post  HeelerLady Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:28 pm

Yes and no. Depends on the person. Mine are totally driven by low pressure fronts - one hanging around and I'm miserable. A lot of people notice that weather affects them although it affects individuals differently. I also don't do so well in the heat but I think that's something else.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Humidity and craqzy migraine aura today..a connection? Empty Re: Humidity and craqzy migraine aura today..a connection?

Post  Chairish1976 Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:39 pm

I've seen a definite connection, but like the previous poster said, it's different for everyone. My trigger is hot days and especially if I let the sun get in my eyes. I usually feel at my best on cold and/or humid days, but I've heard more people that say humid stormy days trigger their migraines. I think it might have to do with the mood it puts people in also. Stormy cold days depresses a lot of people, but it cheers me up oddly enough.
Chairish1976
Chairish1976

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:05 pm

Tinalouise,

What state are you in? Hot, humid days are bad for me and that is all we get in the summer in Oklahoma. Cold, humid days are fine.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Tngirl83 Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:16 pm

Well today I had a monster of a migraine and I'm still fighting some of it I have chronic daily headaches as well. I live in eastern Tennessee and we have humid weather and today was very hot.

I have noticed my M are weather related but today min came out of nowhere. It was 97 today but I was inside at work for 12 hours but I still think heat makes mine worse along with humidity.
Tngirl83
Tngirl83

Back to top Go down

Post  tinalouise Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:25 am

I live in New York State, needless to say we are not use to these hot humid days but lately it has been brutal. Yesterday was just so bad that I think it set off my aura/headache big time. I have noticed I get them mostly on hot and humid days but I have also gotten them on colder days as well.

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:12 am

We are back in our seesaw hot/cool weather pattern again. It's driving me nuts.. not only migraines, but IBS is being a pain, and TN is flaring every few minutes. I want STABLE weather for just a couple of weeks!
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  tinalouise Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:28 pm

Is it a coincidence that my IBS was flaring up as well a couple of days before my full blown migraine with aura showed up?? It makes me wonder if the two go together somehow. I did read something about serotonin levels and IBS and also migraine headaches. I hate it, I feel as if i can't even enjoy summer sometimes and the heat and humidity was off the charts on Saturday and I think it got things rolling. I also ate bacon that morning and now I read that it also contributes to migraines because of nitrates!! Gosh what can we do that isn't bad?? BTW what is TN??

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:38 pm

IBS and Migraines are co-morbid. The neurotransmitter, serotonin is a factor in both. When the levels drop too low, your gut doesn't work right and it can trigger migraines. I almost always get IBS and migraine attacks together. Meds that increase serotonin (SSRI's) are a staple in migraine pharmacology and can help with IBS also. I've noticed my gut is much more sensitive to low serotonin levels than my head and lately they both suck.

What makes the levels drop??? I wish I knew.

TN is Trigeminal Neuralgia, very painful. Basically the big giant nerve that provides sensory information for your face, eyes, and scalp becomes hyper-sensitive to touch and other triggers. It is the nerve that hurts with migraines and the same one the dentist numbs when you get work done. It's always worse for me with a migraine attack, weather extremes and just any fricking thing will set me off.

Here's a bacon tip.. buy bacon at the butcher counter. It isn't pumped full of water and doesn't have quite the same level of nitrates. You save money in the long run because you are only paying for the bacon, not the 6 oz of water they've pumped into commercial bacon. Life is not the same without bacon!!
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  tinalouise Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:18 pm

Thanks for the info, especially about the bacon because I don't know if I could live without it either. As far as meds for serotonin levels, aren't they usually antidepressants? Your TN sounds a lot like Fibromyalgia and I see a lot of people here have that as well. Thanks again

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Most are anti-depressants as depression is also serotonin driven. Amazing how a few little neurotransmitters can cause such havoc!

I have Fibro also and TN is not quite the same. There is actually physical damage to the nerve in TN whereas Fibro is a whole body/brain dysfunction. But the same meds work on both as they are nervous system disorders. I just wish the meds didn't make me stupid, fat and tired. It's hard sometimes to tell how much is Fibro and how much is the medication.

I think I need some bacon now.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:53 am

For me it isn't necessarily high humidity, but an abrupt change of any kind. We are under a heat warning because of the high humidity and high temperatures which aren't an everyday thing in Minnesota. When the high humidity first hit a few days ago I got hit with the migraine. But as the days go by my head is getting used to it. Now if the humidity suddenly drops (which it will) I'll probably be hit again.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down