migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Young Pharmacist

+4
AuntieBubbs
Paradox
HeelerLady
Almostangela
8 posters

Go down

New Young Pharmacist Empty New Young Pharmacist

Post  Almostangela Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:44 am

I have a new young pharmacist and he makes me want to reach over and HUG the stuffing out of him, he is so funny.

He is so concerned about my migraines and keeps asking silly questions that inside I am laughing cause it's so absurd. I keep telling him that I've had these for 30 years.

He asks stuff like;
Do I know what causes them?
Have I thought about food triggers?
Does my mother and grandmother have them?
Do I know how to take the triptan?
Then he explains in detail how to take a triptan
Does the triptans help?
If the triptan doesn't work in the first 4 hours to call the hospital right away.

I can't be mad because I can see that he means well

Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

New Young Pharmacist Empty Re: New Young Pharmacist

Post  HeelerLady Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:54 am

That is pretty funny. But then I get some of those same questions from those who just learned about my situation (minus the triptan stuff).

I did pick up a couple of refills recently and the pharmacist (bless them) asked if I needed refills on my "wacky meds". I laughed and said no, I'm not on them any more but I appreciated the gesture. That perhaps my brain was too fried to realize I needed a refill. Razz

Just one question - if a triptan doesn't work in 4 hours are you really supposed to go to the hospital? I've never heard that one before.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:56 am

LOL! I have one of those too!!! Part of me wants to slap him because he details every drug for me, but part of me loves him because he is soooo concerned.

Plus, he has started telling me some of his "problem" customer stories (no names of course) and he has me rolling.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:37 am

HeelerLady wrote:
Just one question - if a triptan doesn't work in 4 hours are you really supposed to go to the hospital? I've never heard that one before.

I think hospitals can give you bigger drugs, but I've never gone. The hasstle, the stress, the wait...... Personally, a migraine has never killed me and I find my ways to endure. If it is really unbearable, then certainly that is an option. Others have gone.
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:38 am

LOL if I went to the hospital every time a triptan didn't work in 4 hours, I'd be going 3 or 4 times a week!

On the opposite side of a caring young pharmacist, I had a pharmacist a couple of weeks ago who really ticked me off. I was trying to find the lowest price to refill my imitrex (I'm still trying to qualify for the Bridges to Access program with Glaxo Smith Kline Sad ) and its hard to find a pharmacy that carries the generic version that works for me for an affordable price. Example: Wal-mart's price is $85 for 9 pills, but their manufacturer is Dr. Reddy, which is, IMO, the worst version of generic imitrex you can take. It makes my migraine symptoms worse, makes me feel awful, and equates to taking poison. I hate it.
Anyway, the only pharmacy I found that carries the generic I tolerate, manufactured by BanRaxy (I think that's how you spell it) is CVS. Their price, however, is $180 for 9 pills. Outrageous. So I was talking to their pharmacist about pricing to see if they had any discounts (nope, the $180 is the discounted price) and he says "that's the best price we can offer without insurance." I thanked him and said, "ok, I'll keep looking." And then he says, "well, don't you have a way to get insurance?" in a voice I can only describe as condescendingly rude.
I was floored. I mean, how dare he? Obviously, if I had a way to "get" insurance, I would bloody well HAVE insurance!!! It just felt so discrimanatory for him to say that. So judgemental. I held my temper and just replied coldly, "not without a job, no. And with the 12% unemployment rate in this state, I'm sure I'm not the only one." And left.

About a week later, once I found a pharmacy that carries a cheaper price for imitrex generic (Costco), I transfered not just my script for imitrex, but for all my prescriptions to Costco's pharmacy. It'll save me roughly $30 a month total on the other scripts, and $50 a month on the imitrex ($160 a month on the imitrex were I to fill it at CVS instead of Wal-mart). It's more of a hassle, Costco has much more limited hours and isn't open on Sundays, but its worth it to not put up with that type of bias.
As a side note, Costco's brand of generic imitrex isn't the one I prefer, but it's not Dr. Reddy's either. Its Sun Pharmacueticals. I tried it out, and it works ok. It's not the poison that Dr. Reddy's is. It's not as great as brand imitrex, but it'll get the job done.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  hollygolightly Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:45 am

That's funny.. I am lucky if I even get the offer of a consultation with the pharmacist. They're way too busy around here to bother with that.. I guess that's what I get for using a nationwide drug store, rather than one of the small pharmacies that so desperately need business.

hollygolightly

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:11 pm

I think it's great that he's so concerned and interested in his clients. Maybe he just graduated and is still enthusiastic and fired up to help everyone. I hope he stays that way but more often than not, folks get jaded and grumpy from years of working with the public and with bureaucracy.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:46 pm

LOL Chris, I read your post so fast that at first I thought you said "folks just get fat and grumpy" Razz don't ask me how I got fat from jaded though!
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  lostinobx Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Angela,

I think it's great that you have a pharmacist who does care about you and your treatment. Although, at times, it can be a pain in the bottom. As we all know, it's not that often we run across Dr's, hospitals, Urgent Care's, nor pharmacist's who give a rats buttuty who care about us. So, this is very rare.

Hopefully, he will continue his caring and compassionate ways and I am happy that you did find that one in a million who does care. Kudos to him!!

Hugs!

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:48 am

I get annoyed with all those questions though. Almost everyone I tell about my migraines (and I'm extremely open about my situation with everyone) has some solution and asks the same questions. I know they may be concerned, but some take it too far. I'm open about my migraines because they are what I live with, and I also want to educate more people about how serious migraines really are, but I also don't need a lecture on proper eating.

I must say, though, that I've read a lot of complaints on Ronda's over the years about how most people don't treat them well when they learn about their migraines, but that has been the opposite of my experience. Just about everyone, when I say that I have a constant migraine, thinks of someone they are related to or know well who has suffered from this disease, and they are floored at the fact that I have a migraine constantly. The general response I get is horror and extreme sympathy for me. Even among the more jaded medical professionals, most seem concerned, even if they think shouldn't be taking narcotics. They think they're helping me because there really are neurologists out there who believe that narcotics are damaging to migraines; they're just mistaken. There have been a few jerks (such as the neurologist who said I should just commit suicide), but most have been understanding. And the general public even more so.
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down