Night terrors etc. in young children.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Night terrors etc. in young children.

Post  Ruth on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:21 am

One of my granddaughters (she's 4) is having dreadful night terrors, wakes up screaming and saying things are coming after her, she remembers nothing in the morning, but it is very stressful on my son and his wife.

Just wondered if anybody here has gone through the same with their kids, and if anyone knows how long it can last etc.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Re: Night terrors etc. in young children.

Post  Almostangela on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:47 am

With both my children. It lasted a couple of years and is harmless. Normally the body paralyses and the child sleeps on, but in night terrors, the body unparalyses for some reason and he moves around. These kids are not more tramautized than other children at all so there is no cause for alarm. This happens to thousands of well adjusted kids.

With one child, I would remove him from his room, sit him on the kitchen counter and encourage him to sip from a glass of cool tap water. That always woke him up and he had no idea why he was on the counter and went straight to bed.

The other child, this did not work. I would have to just stay with him and rub his hands and legs and cheeks, keep using a calming voice to say everything is okay sweetie and talk him out. Bring the anxiety level down by example. Then he would start yawning and I knew he was working his way down and soon asleep.

At first these scared me, but after a while, it was just a routine. I found a regular sleeps schedule and not too much excitement before bedtime usually meant less chances of night terrors. You will usually find these things happen within the first 3 hours of putting them to bed.

Good luck
Angela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth on Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:38 pm

Thankyou so much Angela, I am going to copy and paste your reply to my son and DIL if you don't mind!
I feel a little better after reading your post Smile

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  alli on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:43 am

My son had night terrors for a year when he was three or so. It was brutal as it was impossible to help him. We got incorporated into whatever he was seeing so we couldn't comfort him. He would scream and fight for about 20-30 minutes and then sleep calmly the rest of the night. Thank God he grew out of it!

There is a link between children who have night terrors and sleepwalking. So as the kids get older, watch for sleepwalking. Chris did not go through closed doors so we counted ourselves lucky with that one. Some sleepwalkers will open doors so it is something to keep in mind. Chris sleepwalked until his late teens then seemed to stop.

Alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top