migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you deal with the constant migraine- having a rough time and need some advice

5 posters

Go down

How do you deal with the constant migraine- having a rough time and need some advice Empty How do you deal with the constant migraine- having a rough time and need some advice

Post  sailingmuffin Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:27 am

Hi All,

How do you deal with constant, daily migraines? Also, how do the rest of you deal with the realy bad ones?

I can usually survive with migraine, but it is getting harder and harder to deal with it and the fainting on a daily basis. It has also gotten a lot worse since the stimulator broke about 6 weeks ago. The only things that take pain down at all are Tylenol3, benedryl, and diazepam. If it gets really bad, an IV of Depakan helps for about a week, but I can only do that once a month. I am just at my wits end and don't know what to do.

In addition to the migraines, the fainting has also been really bad lately. I have messed up one knee pretty badly and now wear knee pads to prevent that from getting worse. This weekend, I fainted and landed on my right arm and I am afraid it may be broken. It happened on Saturday and I spoke to my internist who suggested that I ice it and take some anti-imflamatories. He said it could be sprained and to call if the swelling didn't go down. My parents also looked at it and we basically decided to take the "wait and see" approach. (It is broken it is not a large fracture} So if doesn't go down or still hurts on thursday I'll get it x-rayed. I am just so frustrated by the whole thing. There has to be an answer to this fainting thing.

On top of the head, which is really bad now, and the arm, I am also moving this week. (back to my parents because my roommate is moving home.

I am usually ok at dealing with stuff, but right now I am just overwhelmed, wiped out by pain, and I don't know what to do to stop any of it. I am really scared and frustrated and I dont know what to do anymore,

I'd love any advice.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

How do you deal with the constant migraine- having a rough time and need some advice Empty Re: How do you deal with the constant migraine- having a rough time and need some advice

Post  HeelerLady Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:56 am

SM,

I see thing have turned more than a bit stressful for you. Sad Having these darn things on a daily basis is hard. Granted I have some days that are better than others but there's always a low grade something going on. It's a waiting and seeing what I need to take to make life tolerable.

I do as much as I can to keep busy. Even if it's sitting on the couch with a laptop attempting to read and type. Lately my vision has been more affected and that's scarier. Can't leave the house as I don't feel comfortable driving but I'm also not steady on my feet when it's at it's worst.

I have my own stress situation and it's definitely made things worse. My roommate decided to move out before the end of the lease and to stop paying rent. I'm in the process of suing her and will probably have to do it at least once more as I'm sure she's not going to pay July or the part of August. I'm also looking for a roommate to replace her come mid-August. Other stress events I brought on myself and can't complain. Razz

I guess one difference is that I have drugs that work right now. I don't hesitate to take things anymore. I know that you are struggling with this but the best thing I can say is to try to keep distracted. If you have something to focus on, the pain isn't so intense (even if it's just squeezing a stress ball - you have something else to do but sit and endure).

I really hope your arm isn't broken. That would just be the icing on the cake. Sad I hate to even suggest this but would being in a wheelchair help? I just hate to hear you're falling and hurting yourself. At least until they can get things back under control a bit?

Please take care.

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

How do you deal with the constant migraine- having a rough time and need some advice Empty Re: How do you deal with the constant migraine- having a rough time and need some advice

Post  sailingmuffin Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi Becky,

Thanks so much for your kind words and advice.

I moved out of my apartment yesterday and am now living with my parents again. This is both good and bad. I know it is necessary from a safety point of view and because of the medical situation. I do not think this will be permanent though. I am going to see how things go and hopefully be able to live on my own or with a friend again. It is frustrating because I am 29 and haven't really lived here (with my parebnts} for several years- not on a full time basis. I have resided in the same city for the past four years though, but lived in the dorm and then in an apartment with a roommate. She is moving home as she is finished with school and may have some job prospects there.

I have been dealing with chronic migraines for about 12 years now. Though I am somewhat used to it, it hasn't gotten easier over the years. The fainting makes it is impossible to function normally- work, drive a car etc. I have always tried to stay busy and continue doing things, but it is harder now.

Distractions help a great deal- reading, talking to friends, watching a movie or tv, surfing the net. These take my mind off the problem for a while. I tend to do this even whe the pain is horrendous.

I am trying to take fewer medications. However, I am not afraid to take them when I need to. I wish some of them were more effective at the moment, but I am not afraid to take them. Basically, we cut down on them because they were not helping and we were trying to see if they contributed to fainting.

Right now, I am waiting for a date to repair the stimulator. I am going to check with vocational rehab and I have applied for a service dog for fainting.

Thanks again,

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeneyes Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:22 pm

SM,
So sorry that you are having such a difficult time..Praying, that you get some relief soon..also, that your fainting stops.

Blessings,
Greeneyes
Greeneyes
Greeneyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:33 pm

Becky, how much is the rent!? (Just kidding).

SailingM,

I dealt with constant migraine for several years not too long ago. The only way I made it was to take strong pain killers three times a day. When I started getting addicted to them, I had to quit. I would sleep half the day from the drugs and then spend the rest of the day either playing the organ or talking on the Ham radio.
I have played the organ since I was about ten years old and it is very relaxing. Talking on the Ham radio, using Morse Code is also relaxing. Although the tones are always the same, the rythm is like music. Maybe listening to relaxing music would help. You need something to distract you from the pain even if it is extreme. Soft music always soothes the evil beast.

The rest of us need to remember this poor gal in our prayers.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:47 pm

Hal,

Sad part is it's under $400. I'm on a fixed income and need a roommate unfortunately otherwise I'd say screw it but that girl has a host of other self-inflicted problems as well. There are other costs thrown in for her not upholding her end of the lease (like leaving me to do all the outside work...real fun when you have an M).

Sorry SM, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

How do you deal with the constant migraine- having a rough time and need some advice Empty Hi Sailingmuffin

Post  Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:39 pm

I've just read your post. Please fill me in. Is it the migraines causing the fainting or something else? If it is the migraine I'll tell you my situation. G.

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi All,

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

Distractions do help. Listening to music, talking to friends, watching a movie or something, reading, and this board all help. I just wish they took more of the pain away.

The medications help as well. I am currently on Tylenol 3, Zoloft, and Zanaflex. I also have diazepam and benedryl as needed. If it is really bad, I usually get an IV of Depakan. So I am not afraid to take medications. The stronger ones stopped working and I am a little better with this.

The migraines do not appear to be causing the fainting. I do tend to faint more when I hurt though. In fact there is no clear diagnosis for the fainting. We know it is a form of neurocardiogenic syncope/ Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia syndrome. Basically, this means that my blood pressure suddenly drops, my heart rate goes up, and I faint. It is clear it is not a cardiac problem- such as an arrhythmia or structural defect. The most likely cause is that a signal from the brain doesn't reach the heart to tell it to raise the blood pressure upon standing. At any rate- I tend to faint anywhere between 1-1O times a day. I would love any information though.

I guess all I can do right now is keep going- keep trying to figure this out and find some way to deal with the pain.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  lostinobx Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:42 am

Hi SM,

A few years ago, I use to post every now and then and we talked a few times. I too use to have a stimulator. My wires would erode, they would break, until finally, after 7 surgeries, I couldn't deal with it any longer and had the whole thing removed. It worked for a while, but for the most part was a pain in the butt. I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with yours and hope you get them resolved soon, especially if yours is helping.

I am also sorry to hear about your fainting spells. I can't imagine what that is like on top of your daily pain. I hope your doctors find some answers for you soon.

I too just recently moved back home. So I understand about that situation. Mine was because of divorce and financial issues. I'm glad that you have your parents there for you, especially with all the fainting that is going on.

I too have pain every day, but my current cocktail of meds seems to be working for me, thankfully. I do take my pain meds on the onset of a big one and for the most part I always seem to catch it before it gets into a full blown migraine. I use to wait, but stopeed doing that a long time ago. I feel like I would rather have some quality of life by taking them, instead of not taking them.

I wish you the best of luck in getting your stimulator fixed in the very near future and getting your fainting under control.

Hugs!

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down