migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Depakote warning

2 posters

Go down

Depakote warning Empty Depakote warning

Post  estre004 Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:21 am

This is just another thing to consider when taking any "preventative". Unless you are getting a significant amount of relief (in other words, you have a life vs. no life). I would seriously consider laying off any preventative. Read the link below.

http://www.healthcentral.com/bipolar/news-523946-98.html?ic=6018

estre004

Back to top Go down

Depakote warning Empty Re: Depakote warning

Post  HeelerLady Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:48 am

Thanks for posting this. That was one thing my crazy neuro never considered when prescribing his "wacky" drugs. Never asked if there was a possibility of being pregnant or getting pregnant (not that it was an issue for me). My GP always asked, because I am young enough to have children and didn't want to give me anything that could potentially cause birth defects.

I am thankful that this was something I didn't have to worry about but I know there are others of us that should keep this in the back of their minds when agreeing to take the concoctions prescribed by a neurologist. Perhaps I'm just bitter because all the "preventatives" did nothing but make me ill and it was never just 1 but a cocktail of several.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:54 am

Heelrlady - My thoughts exactly. I trust my GP much more than my neurologist. My neurologist is big time on preventatives. He prescribed them like they were aspirin. Topamax was the limit. I will never try another preventative unless it is a miracle drug that wipes them out for good (which I'm not counting on any time soon).

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:12 am

I may not be cured but my quality of life has improved so much since stopping the crazy meds. Even my bad days aren't nearly as painful (not ready to jump out a window or walk in front of a bus) but then I know my GP truly cares and wants me to have a quality of life.

He gave me enough triptans to get through a month and something for when nothing touches them. Funny thing I haven't had to really take the rescue med since he represcribed it. Think I may have taken it once in the last 3 weeks whereas I'd gotten to once a week with the crazy neuro.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down