migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone ever tried Wen hair care?

+6
JohnConnor12
HeelerLady
VickiG
AuntieBubbs
tecky
Greeneyes
10 posters

Go down

Has anyone ever tried Wen hair care? Empty Has anyone ever tried Wen hair care?

Post  Greeneyes Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:15 am

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Wen hair care? Having insomnia..and watching infomercials...

Hope that you guys are doing well.

Blessings,
greeneyes Very Happy
Greeneyes
Greeneyes

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever tried Wen hair care? Empty Re: Has anyone ever tried Wen hair care?

Post  tecky Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:41 am

I bought the tea tree "flavor" for my husband because he has scalp issues and has tried several prescription and OTC remedies. As they say in the commercials, it's a different concept to get used to...not having suds...but it does make your hair very soft and manageable. It did seem to have some benefit for my husband's scalp. The package I bought for my husband came with the tea tree cleansing conditioner and tea tree oil, with the almond mint styling creme (and came from QVC during one of their specials). I really like the styling creme.

The only thing about the Wen is that it's quite expensive. flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever tried Wen hair care? Empty Re: Has anyone ever tried Wen hair care?

Post  AuntieBubbs Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:01 am

I've been following the same basic concept Wen is based around for over 2 years, and my hair loves it. The main difference is price. You can do the same thing Wen claims to do without buying their expensive products.

I've researched the heck out of this because my hair is my only vanity, so if you want me to go into lengthy detail, PM me. Otherwise, the short version is:

Commercial cleansers have harmful chemicals in them. Even the expensive salon brands. What you have to find is a shampoo that has no Sodium Lauryl (or Laureth, or however you spell it) Sulfate in it, otherwise known as SLS. SLS is what makes the shampoo sud. There are other things in shampoos that are bad, but SLS strips the hair of its natural oils and dries it out.

I have naturally curly hair, and this is especially bad for curly hair because it tends to be porous and need those oils even more. I know my hair does, it used to get very, very dry.

You have to be very careful with commercial conditioners as well (esp. if you're a curly head like me) because those have ingredients that are bad for your hair too, mainly silicones. Anything ending in 'cone is bad. There are a few that wash out, but most will stay in the hair, coating the hair shaft and not allowing any moisture to penetrate it, so that in essence, conditioning your hair eventually becomes a waste of time, all you're doing is layering on coats of silicones. Sad And styling agents can have these too. So you have to read ingredient labels. Alot of conditioners and styling creams, gels, etc. have dimethicone in them, it's the most popular one of all.

The long and short of it is, you don't have to use Wen, there are plenty of good, wholesome shampoos out there that don't have SLS and other chemicals in them, that are great for your hair at a fraction of the cost! I use one from Trader Joe's that costs $3 for a good-sized bottle. Any Whole Foods will have a great selection, or other health food store. Some days I do not cleanse with shampoo per se, but with conditioner. A shampoo does not have to sudse to cleanse, it has to loosen and lift the dirt from the scalp, and a light conditioner can do that just as well as a shampoo. A sudsing shampoo will strip your hair, and people have become accustomed to that and think that is what shampoos should do, when it's not.

Burt's Bees has a really good line of several shampoos and conditioners, they're more expensive but are really nice. They have a Brazil Nut and Raspberry Conditioner that I love, but it's very rich. Since I have very dry hair, my hair loves it if I use it once or maybe twice a week. Other days I use a lighter conditioner. Nature's Gate makes several.

For both shampoos and conditioners, I just check ingredients. Neither have any harsh chemicals. Usually they have essential oils, root extracts, etc. All natural cleansers, natural moisturizers, and so on. The only "unnatural" ingredients are the preservatives, and I know that those are as harmless as possible. I only use companies I trust, like Nature's Gate, Burt's Bees, and so on.

I know this is alot of information, and I have alot more!! Like I said, PM me if you want. My hair has never looked better since I stopped shampooing with "normal" shampoos. In fact, just yesterday I went into a gas station to fill up, and the girl behind the counter said, "does your hair just do that, or do you have to make it?" I kind of just looked at her, because she clarified and said, "I mean, is it naturally like that?" I said, "yes, it's just curly, I don't do anything to it." Which is true, I just wash and condition it, scrunch a non-alcohol gel through it (one that rinses out with water and does not harden like silicone gels do), and let it air dry. But I love to get complements - I've worked hard on going the no shampoo route, and its nice to see it pay off.

I love to talk about the no 'poo routine, so I don't mind if anyone wants to PM me. Smile
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:03 pm

Interesting information! I have extremely fine hair, and most shampoos or conditions create an oily build-up in my hair. The only brand I ever found that didn't do this was Thermasilk for fine hair. They were more expensive than most, but worth it. A little over a year ago, they went out of business, so I found a bunch on Amazon and ordered about 20 bottles each of shampoo and conditioner. Once I run out of them, I'll have to look for something new, so your information will come in handy then. At the moment, I'm very happy with the effect I get from the Thermasilk, so I'll keep using it until I use it up.
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:18 pm

Bubbs,

You've intrigued me. I have fine, very thick, wavy hair. A giant pain in the behind it is. If I cut it short it will curl really cute but with the dogs, I need it longer to get out of my face. But when the wind blows it tangles like mad - picture giant tangled horses tail attached to my head. Sad

Now that summer has appeared with all it's humid glory, it's decided to frizz. Lucky me. I know I don't need a really strong shampoo or conditioner but reading ingredient bottles has gotten to be a challenge. I know the conditioner I use is way too much for it as well.

Any recommendations on what to do with the mess?

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:19 pm

Hmmm. Well, I don't have fine hair, my hair is very porous and coarse. Thick hair can be fine or coarse. I just tend to have alot of hair, and becuase it is porous and coarse, it sucks up moisture like mad. Your hair probably wouldn't do that, so you would not need a conditioner as rich in oils as I do. Or rather, you would need one that has lighter oils. My hair likes rich oils, and alot of them: coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, brazil nut oil. I buy conditioners rich in these fatty oils, and I also make my own deep conditioners with them too. For example, I mash up an avocado with olive oil, add a few drops of pure lavender oil, add some honey (honey is a humectant) and work it through the ends of my hair, and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Sometimes I throw in an egg for protein. My hair loves it. A lighter version of this would be to use a banana instead of an avocado. I've done that too. My hair didn't like it as much because it wasn't as rich, and because banana has protein, which adds even more protein to the egg. My hair likes protein only once in a while. Some hair likes it more than others. Your hair may like to have protein-rich deep conditioners, that's something you'll discover with experimenting.

One of the biggesting thing you can do to cut out frizz is to stop using towels to dry your hair. Towels will frizz your hair because of the friction. Instead, use an old t-shirt or paper towels, though a t-shirt is better (paper towels are wasteful). There's no friction with a t-shirt. Flip your head upside down, squeeze the curls gently from ends up into the roots to get excess water out, apply your product, then use the t-shirt to squeeze out excess moisture. You're really blot-drying it rather than towel drying it. I wrap my head gently like a turban and leave it for a while while I get ready, then let it air dry.

Personally, I apply my product (I mentioned I only use gel) to dripping wet hair, *before* I dry it at all. The product stays in my hair better. You don't really waste product, as you aren't towelling out product when you dry your hair.

Hope this helps, PM me if you want, I'll try to think of some helpful products for you if you want.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnConnor12 Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:27 am

i have not tried the product and srry m unaware of its reviews as well..but i can provide matural solution for your insomnia...Sleep is like a barometer. When someone consistently struggles to sleep, this is a sign that something is wrong and needs to be investigated.Some people suffer from intermittent sleep-onset insomnia caused by stress, worry or an overactive mind. This can be very distressing while you struggle to 'switch off' and fall asleep, knowing that you have to wake up and function in a couple of hours. Sometimes occasional insomnia becomes so bad, that it can develop into chronic insomnia due to the association between bed and stress.
natural remedies:
Avena sativa - used by herbalists to treat nervous exhaustion and insomnia and also as an effective nerve tonic.

Scuttelaria laterifolia - has a long history of effective use in the treatment of acute insomnia and stress. This herb is also useful in the treatment of epilepsy and nerve pain.

Passiflora incarnata - research has demonstrated the effectiveness of this relaxing herb in the treatment of anxiety and stress. It is also particularly useful for the person who lies awake worrying due to stress or overwork!

Coffea C30 - a homeopathic remedy known for its effectiveness in treating headaches, insomnia and restlessness. People who are over stimulated due to worry or excessive work will benefit very much from the addition of Coffea to the formula.

Nux Vomica C30 - also used homeopathically for the treatment of irritability and insomnia, Nux Vomica will also help the tense, ambitious, perfectionistic person who cannot sleep due to worrying about unfinished business or unresolved emotional issues.

Native Remedies makes a wonderful sleep tonic for this kind of insomnia called Serenite Plus.
JohnConnor12
JohnConnor12

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnConnor12 Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:29 am

u can also:

~ Make sure you have regular exercise.

~ Learn stress management and relaxation techniques.

~ Avoid alcohol, caffeine and other recreational drugs, especially close to bedtime.
JohnConnor12
JohnConnor12

Back to top Go down

Post  lostinobx Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:43 am

Sorry to be a downer, but I tried this product and HATED it. When I received my purchase, all it is is conditioner. You are suppose to use that for washing and conditioning. It left my hair THICK with so much build-up and greasy looking although I did exactly what the instructions said. Can't remember the type I got, Almond, I believe, but when I went to my salon, they told me it was ruining my hair. Had so much build-up from this product - YUCK!!

Anyway, that's my experience with it. Glad you like it Bubbs. Just goes to show, everyone is different.

BTW, my hair is not fried, frizzy, thin, curly, ect. It's thick and straight.

Hugs!!

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:35 pm

My daughter loves Burt Bees products, but we never tried any shampoos yet.
do you think, as we both have very fine and oily hair, that their shampoos would work for us?

We must avoid heavy build up and excessive oils.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:46 am

This topic was brought up not too long ago. Someone said Trader Joes has a similar product and mentioned another inexpensive one that does the same as Wen does. If you are getting suds with your shampoo, you are doing damage to your hair I guess. I bought the Trader Joe's brand, used it once and didn't like it because there were no suds (thought it was cheap). But now I have to see if I saved it to give it another try knowing what I know now.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:41 pm

lostinobx wrote:Anyway, that's my experience with it. Glad you like it Bubbs. Just goes to show, everyone is different.

BTW, my hair is not fried, frizzy, thin, curly, ect. It's thick and straight.

Actually, I don't use this specific product either. As I stated in my post, I don't know anything about the Wen line of products.
What I said is that I follow a routine of management that follows a theory of hair care that is similar, in that I don't use shampoos that contain harsh chemicals like SLS, ie., sulfates and surfactants.

Este, that was me Smile I love the Trader Joe's shampoo. It gets my hair very clean without using sulfates. It's the SLS that makes a shampoo sudsy, and they totally aren't necessary. They'll dry out one's hair, stripping it of its natural oils.

I alternate washing my hair with conditioner; it's a proven method of hair care that I've found works great for my type of hair. Different strokes for different folks, and all of that.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:46 am

I've been thinking about going this route or make my own shampoo. I love Trader Joes products so I am going to switch to their shampoo and conditioner. I have fine curly hair so I have to be careful of over washing especially now that I am working out every day and have to clean my hair every day as a result. So I shampoo one day and just use a little conditioner the next. Even with that my hair feels a bit dry. I think changing to something without all the harsh chemicals will be better.

If I'm going through all the effort to get my body back in shape I should also make sure I don't mess my hair up at the same time. Smile
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down