migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Storm chasers

5 posters

Go down

Storm chasers Empty Storm chasers

Post  marion Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:11 pm

I think it was Hal who suggested that on our American holiday we should go storm chasing.
On the TV last night was an item that it is actually being done as a package tour from OZ.
For $3000 you get to chase tornadoes!

And unfortunately no, we won't make it to the US this Christmas, my daughter can't get long enough off.
America is not a country we are going to try to "do" in two weeks.
It will have to be put off for another year or three.
Thank you to you those who gave suggestions for an itinerary - they are not forgotten - just delayed.

We have booked flights though for Japan for a couple of weeks instead.
My husband has been several times in the past on business and can't wait to show us round, so the plan is to eat our way round Japan - all of us are rather partial to Japanese food.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Storm chasers Empty Re: Storm chasers

Post  Brent Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:36 am

I think storm chasing would be a blast. But like many of us here, the drastic fluctuations in air pressure would be intolerable. It's still fun to watch the different programs about the people that do that full time during the season. Most of the science of tornadoes has come from chasers that take lots of video and log copious amounts of data up close.

Japan would be an interesting country to visit. I have a friend who lives on Guam and flies back and forth from the states. For her it's cheaper to go via the Japan route then non-stop. So she gets to hang out there quite often if she is not in a hurry.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:07 pm

If anyone wants to chase tornados, I will be happy to give a tour. I only charge gas, meals and lodging and rights to all of the pictures of the horrified looks on your faces as the tornado goes past twenty yards in front of the truck. I have been chasing tornados in Oklahoma for almost thirty years. Tourists ride in the bed on a bench seat to get the full effect of the storm. Buckle up, it might get a little windy.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:28 pm

Cool! I'm on! I'll bring my motorcycle helmet for the meteorite sized hail balls.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:52 pm

Hal-do you have insurance for that? I can only imagine the rates if you do!
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Leslie,

No extra insurance. I don't get paid. No commercial endeavour. Just a bunch of guys/gals going for a ride in the country taking pictures of cloud formations.

Brent,

I like the motorcycle helmet idea! We had softball sized hail this spring. I saw several cars with big holes in the windshield and metal cars that looked like the Jolly Green Giant had taken a ballpeen hammer to them. I had a car like that about 20 years ago. I got under the hail shaft of an F3 tornado.

If anyone was ever serious about doing this we could discuss it. It is interesting to see, but no gaurantees.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:58 pm

Hal,
Your mother mustn't have had a days peace while you were growing up.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:15 pm

As kids us guys have the clearly defined job of making sure our moms age and an appropriate rate.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:14 am

Marion,

Yes, I am sure that I added many grey hairs to that poor womans head. I know there were many times she thought I would not make it to 21. I played very hard when I was growing up and had to be put back together several times.

Brent,

I think I may have over done the aging bit. My mother passed away at a relatively young age. She smoked and died of cancer while I was still in my 20's.

Now I understand, as my kids have done a wonderful job of aging their father.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:29 am

I have only witnessed one, but I picked it up on the west end of the county and followed it to the east end. My friend, who was coming at it from the east said it was the coolest thing to see the dark, debris and the lights of my squad car right behind it.

I had to bail out of my squad and get in a ditch because I got too close and didn't see the second funnel come down. Oops!

Was a experience I will never forget.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down