migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

topamax or elavil- which is killing my sex drive?

+3
lizholmesod
pen
greent
7 posters

Go down

topamax or elavil- which is killing my sex drive? Empty topamax or elavil- which is killing my sex drive?

Post  greent Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:36 pm

I started taking topamax and amitriptyline (elavil) about 6 weeks apart- both for migraines, and at least one of the two must be affecting my sex drive. From what I've read, I'm guessing it's the elavil. Anyone else had a similar experience? I need to get rid of whichever one it is...

greent

Back to top Go down

topamax or elavil- which is killing my sex drive? Empty Re: topamax or elavil- which is killing my sex drive?

Post  pen Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:48 am

I have never had Topomax, but I felt so lousy on Ami that I can imagine it does nothing for the libido.
If you google them both, see if they mention low libido as side effect.

pen

Back to top Go down

topamax or elavil- which is killing my sex drive? Empty Re: topamax or elavil- which is killing my sex drive?

Post  lizholmesod Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:51 am

I'm on dothiepin (same family as elavil) and simply can't be bothered with anything from the waist down Smile
It used to get me down a lot but the pay off for having fewer M days is worth it! Not sure how hubby feels about it!
LHx

lizholmesod

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:42 pm

That is really the pits you guys. Can't you fake it?
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:11 pm

Ha!! Ha!! Hal !!!!! Very Happy

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:51 pm

My personal experience is they both killed my libido. But each gender will have different issues with different meds. And aside from the drive there are other complications. Older antidepressants like Zoloft, Prozac etc don't kill the libido but they make it very difficult to "reach the happy ending". That is just as bad (IMHO). It makes you not want to even start the race if you know you won't cross the finish line.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:35 pm

Could be either. Sounds weird but your doc can consider adding wellbutrin to offset it.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:25 am

You are great Hal Laughing Laughing Laughing

I've been on both and my guess would be the Topamax. Ami doesn't affect me in the least. Topamax had so many side effects I can't even remember if that was one of them but it very well may have been.

estre004

Back to top Go down