migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Triptans How many are you allowed?

+8
crt
Anna's Mom
estre004
ShelliB
Mule Kick
HeelerLady
dcook60
pen
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Triptans How many are you allowed? - Page 3 Empty Re: Triptans How many are you allowed?

Post  HeelerLady Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:05 am

Pen,

Sadly, I think here in the states, it's dictated by what the insurance will pay for. My gp was more concerned with overuse of the fioricet rather than the triptans. I don't know if you are an anxious person just by nature but I know that severe M send my levels into orbit. I have to say I'm not worrying about the drugs I take. I take what I need to to survive. And now I have an adequate amount and don't have to try to "save" them for the worst case.

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Triptans How many are you allowed? - Page 3 Empty Re: Triptans How many are you allowed?

Post  pen Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:40 am

No Becky I was not an anxious person before all this crap came along.
It is pain and uncertainty that has done this to me.
I brought up 3 kids happily and without anxiety.
I worked, I cared for my blind mother.
Then peri menopause.....then....this lot.
The last 18 years, but more so the last 10 has caused all this.

I now feel an idiot because things bother me so much.
Symptoms I dont understand scare me.....pain just drives it.

The worst thing for me is fighting all day and usually feeling better by bedtime.
Only to go to sleep and awake in the same damn pain.
Sleep should be a nice thing. I dont want to sleep. I dont want to wake up.

I am not complacent about this idiocy and am trying to help myself.
Hence the CBT which they dumped me from, and the pain clinic yesterday.
I had a couple of coments on here abvout not taking advice and helping myself.
I would direct that to my signature.

For you m'dear,I am thrilled,I know how tough it has been for you.
Your doggies will be thrilled also.
cheers

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:07 am

I didn't think so and I know pain can drive things horribly. I do wish things were straight forward for you Pen. I only have one issue and it's hard enough to deal with.

And I know that what I deal with isn't terribly common. My gp made mention of that - that normally they are hormonally driven but that I have one all the time is a bit perplexing.

I don't have a solution for you but just knowing that I have a doctor who truly cares about the situation and only wants me to be well is a stress reliever. I wish you had this as well. Smile If only I could clone my doctor and mail him to you. Very Happy
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:54 pm

Just spoke to someone on FB. She is in I think Missouri.

Anyway she gets 9 a month.
This is governed by her Medicare at $180 a month.
She feels they dont care how many she has, it is just down to cost.

In UK it could still be that....NHS costs, but they will seldom admit that.
So who knows if the "dangers" are a cost smokescreen.

I sure dont, but it could be.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:27 am

I think it is cost. I can get 24/month. Explain that one.

The reason I think this is that I get 3 vials of Migranol/month. On occasion I have run out and my doctor has told me he would gladly give me more. It is the insurance company.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  kathy Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:13 pm

I get 18 a month but I had to get an insurance over ride for it. file a claim, denied filed a review, doctor filled out forms, phone interview with ins. doctor, lawyer nurse and claim supervisors...It took about 4 months. I'm sure they were hoping I'd give up. Some months I have to by 3-5 more Zomig.

I made it very clear that if I could not get that quantity I would be in the ER 2-3 times a month for treatment at a cost in the thousands of $. That did it.
I've been using Zomig for 10 years and I'm sure it doesn't work as well over that long period.
kathy

kathy

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:18 am

i have seen figures at work suggesting that each triptan is costing the NHS around £10 that is partly why they hold back on dishing them out, but the patent (sorry if spell is wrong in a rush) is coming to an end on them soon so they will be manufactured and sold to the NHS by other companies so hopefully price will drop dramtically over next few years unless the pharm companies do some closed deal,
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:36 am

That's interesting Theresa, thank you for that.
I know when I first got Imigran they were £22 each, and I got 3, and later 6.
Then the patent ended on them and they cost a lot less...maybe the £10 you mention.

So do you think this is the reason they are so select with their prescribing Theresa?
I guess it makes sense, but would be kinder to tell us, and let us buy them on private prescription rather than deprive us and stress us...

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3