migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Triptans How many are you allowed?

+8
crt
Anna's Mom
estre004
ShelliB
Mule Kick
HeelerLady
dcook60
pen
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Triptans How many are you allowed? - Page 2 Empty Re: Triptans How many are you allowed?

Post  HeelerLady Tue May 25, 2010 2:20 pm

Estre - I've just had it. I've been trying preventatives for 7 months and frankly things are worse since we started messing with the brain chemistry. My gp has done as much as he knew but I wasn't in this much pain all the time. I had many more good days and right now my quality of life is nothing. I miss much more work - before going to him, I never had to stay home because things were so bad. Now I'm lucky if I make it in 3 days a week.

Pen - sorry for hijacking your thread and I'll start my own as I need input on things and this isn't the right place for it.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Triptans How many are you allowed? - Page 2 Empty Re: Triptans How many are you allowed?

Post  pen Tue May 25, 2010 3:41 pm

Becky DONT apologise please.....no hijack at all.
I have responded to your "own" thread, I hope it helps a bit.

I dont think I answered your question further up on here about side from Triptans.
For me...Imigran not great. Felt like a dwarf was sat on my chest and made me sleep.
Most of the others less side effects, but not great relief.
Stuck with Maxalt for 4 years...not the melt....hate the taste.
They worked, but made me feel very sick about 20 minutes after taking them.
Then I slept or felt sleepy for hours....great to take at bedtime...

Frova. Minimum side effects, bit of spacy stuff. Work in anything from 1 to 3 hours, but last up to 24.

They all seem different for different people Becky, but I think in the US you can often get samples and it only really takes one to get an idea.

I hope you find something other than drug preventatives....
Lot of people seem to get some help, but they sure dont suit us all.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Tue May 25, 2010 4:49 pm

I believe it is 50% because I heard it from a good source Smile

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue May 25, 2010 5:09 pm

50% are helped by preventatives Cheryl?
That's pretty good isnt it?

I just wish that those of us in the other 50% having given them a good try, could have another way to deal with the migraines.
For me it seems to be lots of Triptans.....

Thanks
P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed May 26, 2010 7:30 am

I'm wondering out of the 50% how many are "really really" helped. Some of those preventatives are pretty hardcore and if you only get "some" relief, is it worth it?

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed May 26, 2010 7:39 am

Well I read somewhere (please no one challenge me, I will try to find where I saw it), that the relief hoped for is also 50%.
So 50% of 50%. How does that sound then Linda?? Very Happy

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed May 26, 2010 7:46 am

I'm thinking it is less than that unless the people that are getting that much relief just don't join these forums. I know some people get 50% relief but not many that I know. 50% is quite a bit. I would take that.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed May 26, 2010 8:23 am

I think that is what they hope for Linda. Just cant find where I read that....lousy head....

I would take it if they could guarantee it, and without side effects like I have had, which have robbed me of any life quality.
Hopefully when they come up with one that is for migraine, not lots of other conditions that we don't have, maybe we will get that.
BUT most people I encounter (personal thing, not general) eventually have to try another because the one that works stops working and so on.

Met a lady at the migraine day last February. She had just come off her last one. Had been on one for 2 years and it worked well, then just stopped, so changed to another, and not so good. So another and just side effects. We had lunch together, she said she came to the info day to ask what the Hell she does next....she did ask. They didn't have an answer. BUT we did all discuss the need for a dedicated migraine preventative. They said there would be less "unwanted effects" and hopefully more efficacy.

So what are they waiting for!!!!!!!!!!!!

pen

Back to top Go down

Triptans How many are you allowed? - Page 2 Empty How many triptans

Post  crt Wed May 26, 2010 10:30 pm

My insurance allows 12 a month. I have been taking Maxalt for 12 years. It completely wipes out the migraine. As far as I can tell, I don't get rebound. I usually don't need to use all 12, especially when I remember to take my tabasco sauce.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Thu May 27, 2010 1:07 am

This thread has many interesting points on migraine and, together with Heelerlady's post on preventatives and doctors gives a perfect picture of the status of migraine sufferers.

To sum up, it seems that:

1) Preventatives do not work for most sufferers or work only partially/temporarly. I'm not surprised about it. After all, those named "migraine preventatives" are actually drugs studied for OTHER diseases. Only for a pure coincidence they seem to have a positive influence on migraine.

2) Triptans and ergots are the only real treatments for migraine. They are the only two ANTI MIGRAINE and nothing else. All the other abortives are for generic pain and - occasionally - can work also for migraine.

Uhhhmmm...... we don't seem to have too many choices No

Pen, to reply to your original post: I don't use triptans. They don't work on me. I've tried many of them (Maxalt, Zomig, Amerge, Frova...). All fresh water.
I use ergotamine. There's a product here which is an OTC and it's a mixture of ergotamine, caffeine and a mild anti-inflmmatory. So, I can hypotethically use as much as I want. I don't need a prescription for it.
The recommandation is to use max 3 suppositories/week and I normally respect this dosage. In good times I use 1 supp any 10 days. In bad times (like the last 2 weeks) I use up to 4/week. So, I guess that on average, in one year I'm still in the safe dosage. And if I'm not, I don't care. I want a life NOW.
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu May 27, 2010 8:37 am

Ivy - I could have written your post. Thanks. Saves me time.

I also use ergots. They are my life saver. Where do you live that you can get OTC ones. Mine are prescription and work like magic.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu May 27, 2010 8:57 am

Ivy is in Europe Linda...

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu May 27, 2010 9:02 am

Pen - have you tried the OTC drug Ivy is talking about ? I don't know if it is as strong as what I get prescribed, but what I take, as you know, works very good!

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu May 27, 2010 9:29 am

I dont think we get the same drugs as Europe Linda.
They get mostly suppositories, we get by mouth.
I will investigate. If they bring this new one out here, that will be the same kind of thing I think.

England went of Ergotamine when Triptans came out because so many people apparently got hooked on them!!!

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu May 27, 2010 9:46 am

Pen - now that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of - getting hooked on them. There is no way you could get hooked on them. They are not pleasant to take, no euphoria or anything. You wouldn't want to take them unless you have to. The unpleasantness isn't anything to even consider though because they zap the migraine (for me anyway). No way anyone would abuse them.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu May 27, 2010 10:11 am

I may have got that wrong Linda, it was before my time, but I dont think it was that kind of hooked.
More the rebound kind of hooked.

I am sure someone will be able to explain it better, sorry my head is really bad today.
Will try to find out. I just know I have never been offered Ergotamine and many people got "off" it.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu May 27, 2010 10:13 am

This will have to do for now.....yes it is our old friend MOH

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000407.html

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu May 27, 2010 10:20 am

I've been taking it now for years--no MOH. I read the article and there it is again--MOH. I would ask your doctor about it and give it a try if you can. That top cardiologist I work for (now 80 years old) told me years ago -- cafergot, period. I didn't listen to him and now wished I would have. Could have given me a few more years of aborting the migraines. Before that I was doing the triptans which was hit or miss whether they were going to work or not--usually miss.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Fri May 28, 2010 12:23 am

Linda,
I'll send you a MP with all the details.
Bye
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Triptans How many are you allowed? - Page 2 Empty over 60s

Post  Angela Sat May 29, 2010 9:51 am

An article in a Swedish magazine said
people who have been and are heavy smokers
and suffer from migraines with Aura **may** have
the risk of suffering a stroke.

Angela

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:28 pm

In my call to our migraine support group today, I was told that the "acceptable" Triptan intake varies from 9 to 12 per month.
I wonder, how many of us manage that.....

I just had a bad month, and had 12.....and now I am beating myself up about that, and the extra one I took today for nothing cos it didn't work.

As we are all chronic sufferers, and the amount "allowed" varies hugely.

Who regularly take more than the top notch 12, or less than the bottom 9?

What has happened to any of us?
Does anyone feel they have rebound from Triptans?

I got told to back off on the OTC and take the whole 12 every month if need be....yes that was the neuro...

Until as Ivy commented, they get us a "Migraine" specific drug as a preventative, these really are all we have..

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:06 am

Angela - Smoking and migraine are both risk factors even on their own. Best to take as good care of yourself as you can.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:59 pm

Well, I like Andy Dowson and here he is saying we can have 15 Triptans a month.. Yup 15.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1036528/How-pain-dealing-headaches.html

He also says 1% of the population suffers from MOH.....Yes 1%
BUT we shouldn't have more than 10 standard pain killers...that's it...I'm dead!!
I was doing ok until that bit.

Anyway have a read if you so desire.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:52 am

Hi all,

After the disaster with the neuro Wednesday I went and saw my gp yesterday. He agreed that the headache clinic was a failed attempt and was rather perplexed that they wouldn't give anything for the M that don't respond to the rest of the arsenal.

At any rate, things got straightened out and I'm back to trying Maxalt. I get 9 standard but can get 18 in a month if it would work. He sees no problem with my taking that many and gave me fioricet for the worst ones that respond to nothing. Smile So this shoots that theory. I have to say I feel so much better after that appointment. Knowing I could take a triptan almost every other day to battle this is a huge relief. Now I can focus on quality of life.

Weather is working against me today and I've had to take one and it did take the worst of the pain after a short nap. Smile

Hope others are doing well.

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:00 am

So much better news Becky. Isnt it ironic that we go to the dedicated places and get worse treatment than from our own GP.
I have had pretty much the same experience as you know.

Regarding the triptans. WHY cant "they" just come to a united decision on the damn things instead of confusing us all.
I have noticed that on the whole GPS will give them out and the neuros say that is because they dont understand the "dangers".
BUT my GP says she sees me all the time, she knows my situation.....
I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I have to do what I have to do and worry about tomorrow; tomorrow.
But with my anxiety I am finding it hard to do.
WHY cant they stop tormenting us and stressing us out.....

What's that saying "Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday".

Pleased for you Becky.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next