migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Perhaps a reason to always be ever mindful of the drugs we use.

+3
Cindy*W
CluelessKitty
pen
7 posters

Go down

Perhaps a reason to always be ever mindful of the drugs we use. Empty Perhaps a reason to always be ever mindful of the drugs we use.

Post  pen Tue May 11, 2010 3:52 pm

From our Daily Mail. Frequently prescribed antacid drugs cause side effects.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1276903/Side-effect-risk-millions-unnecessary-stomach-drugs.html

pen

Back to top Go down

Perhaps a reason to always be ever mindful of the drugs we use. Empty Re: Perhaps a reason to always be ever mindful of the drugs we use.

Post  CluelessKitty Tue May 11, 2010 4:17 pm

wow.. I had no idea.. I thought of these as rather benign...

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Perhaps a reason to always be ever mindful of the drugs we use. Empty Re: Perhaps a reason to always be ever mindful of the drugs we use.

Post  pen Tue May 11, 2010 5:19 pm

Me too Risa, and I was surprised to read the article. There are others on line so I guess it is for real.

Just shows us, as with a dr on our radio today regarding Statins (yet again).
He said if 100 people take statins you might save two lives but make 50 people unwell with side effects from muscle cramps to flu like symptoms.

We still get to be guinea pigs it seems.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W Thu May 13, 2010 1:16 am

Pen,

Thanks for posting this article.

I have been taking these drugs for many years due to acid reflux.

Next time I see the doctor, I will bring this up and see what he has to say about it.

Shouldn't they be telling us these things and letting us decide whether we want to take these risks or not?

Anyway, Thanks.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Thu May 13, 2010 9:35 am

Wow, I've taken these drugs for years, too. I don't know if I could function without them.

Migraine meds are notorious for causing stomach problems, such as reflux, ulcers, etc. I certainly know it if I miss one. I'm in agony.
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu May 13, 2010 10:37 am

I actually posted it because I said to my husband when I read it.....
"They give giving us drugs and then finding reasons we shouldn't have them.....what about the migraine drugs I wonder".
He had problems with Statins. Side effects which the GP originally denied, but he came off them and within months the effects were all over the internet. I get sick of being a guinea pig. So when I saw the article, I thought it was worth sharing. Seems it was...Talk to the doctor I guess.....Hmm

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Thu May 13, 2010 10:42 pm

Prescription drugs are just the second to the last phase of clinical trials. We are all guinea pigs and the FDA is doing a horrible job at policing the pharmaceutical companies.

If drugs were correctly tested there would only be a very rare instance when a drug would be pulled or reformulated.

And along with drugs are the ever growing dangers of X-rays. The more I read the more disturbed I get at how often they are used. If the flow of newly discovered X-ray dangers continue at this pace they will be used only for life threatening emergencies in the very near future.

There are much safer and cheaper ways to treat most upper GI issues then with drugs. I have used two of them with great success.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri May 14, 2010 4:20 am

There are much safer and cheaper ways to treat most upper GI issues then with drugs. I have used two of them with great success.

Brent my daughter has IBS and bad upper GI issues. Would you be prepared to share your success please? Smile

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Fri May 14, 2010 4:56 am

It is a shame that theye do not mention the speific names of the medicines in question in that article. IT would be very helpful when speaking to the GP about particular medicine.

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna Fri May 14, 2010 6:47 pm

Senna, they are proton pump inhibitors- there are many. If you google the phrase you'll find what you are looking for. Don't forget that the brand names may differ from country to country, but the generic should be the same. Wikipedia has a list of examples. Or if you're concerned and take any drugs for gastric issues, ask your nurse or doctor and she can tell you what class of drug you are taking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton-pump_inhibitor
Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down