migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freeganism - dumpster diving...

+4
Senna
MaryAnneLive
Brent
CluelessKitty
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Freeganism - dumpster diving... - Page 2 Empty Re: Freeganism - dumpster diving...

Post  CluelessKitty Sun May 02, 2010 2:31 pm

I suppose this is mainly European way, we are more use to it.

You are absolutely right Senna - we here prefer to discuss in American way which is straightforward and honest,
without hidden affronts, suspicious innuendos, passive-aggressive undertones, badly concealed sarcasm and irony, and false politeness.

Since you are not used to honesty and being straightforward perhaps this is why you have such a hard time discussing with us?

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Freeganism - dumpster diving... - Page 2 Empty Re: Freeganism - dumpster diving...

Post  Ivy Mon May 03, 2010 5:04 am

So, Senna, what do you suggest? That we all start to dump? That we all give up our properties and join a freegan group? Will this cancel the poverty in the world?

I have the feeling that all your polemic and insulting posts aim only at causing the 1,000th fight on this board. I can see no practical advice in all what you say, no helpful plans for the poor. Only pure ideology that leads nowhere. And ideology has never fed people.

Probably I'm the stupid and ignorant who does not understand your upper and utopic ideology. Glad to be ignorant at this point because I don't want to become paranoid.

Last but not least: I DON'T feel guilty for being a "wealthy" European. Guilt does not not help others. I don't try to wash my conscience by feeling guilty and perform ideological dramas to be closer to poorer. I prefer to HELP poor people with practical and concrete measures.

And please, stop with your figures and your statistics. Your terroristic numbers are not reliable to most of us and - in any case - they don't help anyone to eat. What hungry people expect is real and practical help and not figures. I wonder what they might think if they saw us argue about their hunger instead of doing something tangible for them.....
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Mon May 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Excellent point, Ivy!!

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 03, 2010 6:09 pm

You Europeans.....yikes.

Shlep, schlep, schlepp...

A yiddish word that also has low-German roots.

I've always thought schlepp was to mess around, be sloppy, or even have to move something....

ex. "You should do a better job painting than schlepping it all over the place."

ex. "Mary had to schlepp her vegetables all the way from the town center."

I had an art teacher that used "schlepp" all the time--my dad went to school with him and his brothers. They are Hungarian.

The German in me is from both southwest, southeast, and northwest Germany. No one said schlepp on my dad or mom's side. Is this eastern European slang that's been adopted?

In the U.S English., I can figure the equivalent to shlep.

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon May 03, 2010 6:31 pm

You are correct. My father, his brothers and family used the word. Not sure but as they lived as the only non Jews in London's Petticoat Lane, could have been from the family or from their neighbours and school friends, but it has always been well used in my family. We are going back to 1920s and before here. And this is in England, so who knows if it just came from the Jews that came at that time. My fathers vocabulary was peppered with Yiddish expressions, but as most of their customers in the Lane were Jewish, and also many of his friends hardly surprising. But this was Schleppy, as you rightly say from the Yiddish. Yes it would be a drag....We schlepped from shop to shop. etc.

The word being used here is I guess a slightly altered version, it now means more someone slovenly, somewhere run down.
We are seeing this more and more the changing connotations of words. I don't know when this one entered the English language, and then somewhat changed its meaning, but it seems it has. I find it quite interesting. Perhaps someone else will know when and where it changed.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2