migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pediatric Migraine Update

Go down

Pediatric Migraine Update Empty Pediatric Migraine Update

Post  AZgirl Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:26 pm

Since we don't have the separate forum here, I thought I'd just start a thread to update on my daughter.

My 9-year-old started on a preventative April 1 for her headaches. She has her own pedatric neurologist. The med is an old antihistamine called cyproheptadine taken at bedtime. We have seen a small decrease in frequency, but it has not been the full 6 weeks on the med yet. Her doctor said give it 6 weeks to see any improvement. This is the first preventative we have tried.

My daughter gets short (and I mean short, as in less than 15 minute) headaches, that resolve on their own, do not disrupt her play, schoolwork, or life in general. They are just a nuisance at this point. But they are daily.

If this med fails, we move to topamax, and if that fails we move to amitriptyline.

I didn't want to medicate my daughter, but she was reporting the headaches daily, sometimes several times a day, and I wanted to be able to offer relief. So far she has had a small bit of relief, so we will continue the med.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down