migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Danger of Long Lasting Pain

2 posters

Go down

Danger of Long Lasting Pain Empty Danger of Long Lasting Pain

Post  lesherb Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:28 pm

I've been reading a lot of posts from us here who have very long lasting migraine attacks. Does anyone remember when Teri Robert (among many others) told us that being in migraine pain for longer than 72 hours with no relief of more than 4 hours at a time, was dangerous?

I haven't read about that in a very long time. Is it not standard procedure anymore? We used to be told if we had a migraine attack that was in the danger zone that a trip to the ER was the smartest thing to do.

The ER doctors (and nurses) had to evaluate our pain by asking us to report the pain level on a scale of 1-10.

Is this still Standard Procedure for Migraine Patients? Or are we supposed to hide away in our homes and hope our personal doctors will take pity on us?

£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Danger of Long Lasting Pain Empty Re: Danger of Long Lasting Pain

Post  estre004 Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:41 am

I called the doctor once on day 3 of a #10 migraine. I was told by a nurse they don't last more than 72 hours so don't go to the ER. Fortunately, as it turned out, it was gone by the end of 72 hours. This is just an example of the ignorance even the health professional have about migraine. I have not had one last more than 72 yours but I know a lot of you here have. And what a dumb thing to say when I look back at it. Why wait 3 days to go to the ER? Is she crazy? I am lucky that my abortives work most of the time. After a car accident in October, however, on day 2 I didn't waste any time to go to the ER. The way I look at it, it gave me my life back at least a day sooner. Why would you wait?

As far as being dangerous if they last more than 72 hours--I personally feel they are dangerous for any length of time. I've never been the same since my migraines started about 10 or so years ago. I don't care what any doctor says on this one. They, as we all know, are not always right. I use them as just another tool but use a lot of just plain gut instinct what is right or not right for me.

estre004

Back to top Go down