migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another reason we need to be careful with what we're willing to swallow

5 posters

Go down

Another reason we need to be careful with what we're willing to swallow Empty Another reason we need to be careful with what we're willing to swallow

Post  Anna Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:33 pm

I found the following article interesting. We all know that meds are prescribed off label. And perhaps at times that's called for. But there's a lot more to the story.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/19/AR2010031905578.html?wprss=rss_business

Anna
Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

Another reason we need to be careful with what we're willing to swallow Empty Re: Another reason we need to be careful with what we're willing to swallow

Post  HeelerLady Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:49 pm

Oh my....I guess I vaguely heard about various drugs but never thought about it as it related to me. The one that hit me was neurontin - I actually take this for pain as my level one defense. I think I need to be more informed about what I take and question why....
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Another reason we need to be careful with what we're willing to swallow Empty Re: Another reason we need to be careful with what we're willing to swallow

Post  AuntieBubbs Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:17 pm

for some reason, the link won't work for me. Can someone summarize?
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:35 am

It basically talked about how the major drug companies have been pressuring and incentivizing doctors to prescribe drugs for off-label use (and most hadn't been tested to be safe or effective). I didn't know that most of the drug companies have had to pony up some serious money in fines and promise to stop the behavior. Well the article did discuss that while they may have said they'd stop, they really didn't. It highlighted 2 or 3 drugs where they really got caught - Bextra and Neurontin are the two I remember. Bextra was supposed to be used for a certain level of pain and menstrual discomfort - they talked doctors into using it for acute pain. It caused heart problems in a lot of folks as well as a few other rather dangerous side effects. Neurontin was originally only an anti-epileptic drug and they had all sorts of off-label uses. Most of the "off-label" uses were more unofficial trials - drug companies wanted to see what happens without going through official trials.

There might have been more to it but this was what I got from it and my head, while higher level functioning today, is still giving me fits.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:36 am

I doubt we will ever see pharmaceutical reform in our lifetimes. They are so big and have so much money, power and political influence. For most of them a fine is merely a business expense.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Another reason we need to be careful with what we're willing to swallow Empty drug digest

Post  Lil Bird Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:45 pm

I use drugdigest.com to check for interactions and side effects. You really have to look out for yourself. Do lots of research before you take any drug. I'm sure you guys know that. I'm just saying, Dr's seem to underestimate side effects a lot. I get nervous every time I have to take something new. affraid
Lil Bird
Lil Bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down