migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

do you dream in migraines?

+8
rileyoday
moominamy
willow21
ShelliB
Jewishmother
LG
alli
dailyha-rose
12 posters

Go down

do you dream in migraines? Empty do you dream in migraines?

Post  dailyha-rose Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:17 am

hi, i do not know if this has been discussed before but alli mentioned something that is near but not dear to me.
i dream during the night about the headache/migraine i am experiencing. sometimes i have some dreams that are anxiety based so then i wake up with a level 2/3 headache. sometimes i dream about feeling nauseous then i wake up with a higher level headache and feel very sick to my stomach. and then sometimes i dream that there is mud, clamshells (weird i know) or any type of stuff stuck in my mouth and back of my throat. after those dreams, when i wake up i am in hell, level 9/10 M and will start vomiting w/i 5 minutes. does this happen to any one else? did you already discuss this. any info. out in the old forum?
all of the neuros. i have told this have never heard of it. i was heartened to read about alli. this chronic illness has so many ways of making us feel alone. just wondering if others suffer thru this too. gee, why can't we even get a real nights sleep?
thanks,
rose

pale javascript:emoticonp('pale')

dailyha-rose

Back to top Go down

do you dream in migraines? Empty Re: do you dream in migraines?

Post  alli Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:59 am

I'm rather disappointed with what neuro's don't know. Do they ever listen to their patients? I think the dreaming is your brains way of telling you something is wrong. Your body is in distress and since you are not awake, your brain takes the info and makes a dream about it. Then you wake up and deal with the problem.

I remember having a dream when I was a kid where my arm was being stung by a zillion bees. I woke up and my arm had fallen asleep and was waking up with that wonderful pins and needles feeling. It was strange enough that I remember 30 some odd years later.

I bet this is more common than neuro's know because they brush stuff like this off and forget about it. If they wrote it in the chart, it might stick.

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

do you dream in migraines? Empty do you dream in migraines?

Post  dailyha-rose Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:09 pm

thanks, alli.

are we the minority? do you know of others that have had this happen? i would agree with your reasoning that our minds are having some kind of neural response to our bodies:head pain and is represented by these dreams. seems logical to me. hope others read this and respond.
always felt alone about this. just figured it was like our sometimes totally different reactions to meds. that we share online here. what works for one doesn't really work at all for another. i bet other people on this forum share this unsettling malady too!
rose

dailyha-rose

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:45 pm

I dreamt that I was biting so hard down that I cracked my tooth in half and an incredible pain shot through my head. It was so excruciating I woke right up and my head was pounding. I was right in the middle of a migraine. I don't frequently remember my dreams, nor are they ever so vivid but I actually checked my tooth to make sure it was okay! It was fine, it was just my brain reacting to the migraine pain.

Ouch though, what a wacky way to wake up. Wish my brain would have just ignored it and let me sleep through it! Mad
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Jewishmother Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:14 pm

I have dreams where I am experiencing aura symptoms and then when I wake up I have the pain..........figure it is just my brain's way of dealing with the aura when I am sleeping. Would really rather sleep through them anyway! Very Happy
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

Post  ShelliB Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:01 pm

Yes! Quite often. The migraine will be part of my dream and when I wake up it's real. Not sure if dreaming of them brings them on or if I get them while sleeping and they become part of the dream.
ShelliB
ShelliB

Back to top Go down

do you dream in migraines? Empty Migraine Dreams

Post  willow21 Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:25 pm

You are not alone, I often have wild crazy dreams and always wake with a terrible migraine after a dream like that.

Most often I dream about terrible thunderstoms and I hear a really loud clap of thunder. After I hear that clap of thunder I wake up with a massive migraine.

I told my neuro and she said that the dreams and migraines are connected. She said the dreams and migraines are a result of neurons rapidly misfiring, I guess that makes sense.

Take Care,
Willow

willow21

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:20 am

Yes I do!

I have had all sorts of strange dreams when having bad migraines - most frequently being beaten up and having my head kicked in. Also things like being in car crashes, falling and hitting my head, things landing on me, basically anything where I end up with head pain.

The weirdest pain related dream I ever had was when I was having ovulation pains. I dreamt I was a sword swallower, and that was what was causing the pain. I had to be operated on in the dream and I'd apparantly also swallowed a load of pens too. Very odd but very real.

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down

do you dream in migraines? Empty do i dream in M

Post  rileyoday Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:37 am

Yes I dream the strangest most vivid things. And if I nap it really gets strange. these sleep patterns only started when I started M.

I slept soundly before. I dont remember a Dr. ever addressing this. I did try the standard script sleep aids.

So I have taken clonodine 3 x day for 136 days without M, and if I start a HA I take a dose to stop it. But I still have the poor sleep, naps, and dreams.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

do you dream in migraines? Empty Dreams have always been a big part of my life

Post  TheBookworm411 Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:01 pm

I'm a big dreamer. I've always had lots of dreams and always in color. I can fly in my dreams too but not for the past couple of years. My dreams have been mostly nightmares while I've had this 1 1/2 year migraine. Sometimes they have to do with the teeth clenching like someone else said. I wear a night guard but I take it out in the middle of the night because I talk a lot in my sleep and a feel like something is keeping me from talking and I remove it. I wake up on it or sometimes I can't find the darn thing for days. I always have some other kind of pain dream when my migraine is bad at night or when I'm going to wake up with it bad. But I have always made an effort all of my life to remember my dreams and sometimes have written them down. They used to be really cool. Since I made the appt to go in the hospital I have been having hospital nightmares. Really bad ones. I don't get any relief or comfort at the hospital in any of these dreams. I spend lots of money and get nowhere. I always feel like something is happening to me in my dreams and wake up and its something different. I have many dreams where spiders have laid eggs in my temples and are hatching, wasps are stinging me over and over because they don't die from stinging like bees do. The wasps sting my head and face. I'll wake up with my whole head hurting really bad. My jaw will hurt and around the back of my head. This all has been similar to other times in my life so I've never worried about it.

When my little brother was diagnosed with Leukemia I constantly had this dream where I was walking down this really long hallway in his hospital and it never ended and I never saw anybody. It seemed like the dream would last all night. But I was waiting for test results to see what kind of Leukemia he had and if he could get an unrelated donor. Later on I had dreams about his funeral which thank God has not happened. Its been 8 years post transplant.

Some people think my migraine is from my little brother getting sick, getting divorced, son being diagnosed with Autism, and starting a new job, etc. All of this happened in a 3 month period. Then I was a caretaker for my brother and I always felt like I had to keep a happy face and how could I complain about having a headache when he might die. It just didn't compare.
TheBookworm411
TheBookworm411

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:46 pm

HI all,

I never remember my dreams. However, my roommats heard me scream in pain during the dight. The second time this occured, she was even in a different room. So, maybe there is some link-possibly with the aura that occurs with migraine? Both migraine and dreaming are neurological proceses, and maybe wires get crossed.

Psin free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  xmom Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Happens to me too... I actually feel the pain in my dream, then of course wake up in agony.

xmom

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:05 pm

Yeah Emily, that happened to me too with my tooth dream. Scary and painful! It was so bad I had to make sure my tooth wasn't hurt, I wonder if I actually was clenching my jaw. I don't do that awake.

There has to be a connection somehow. When I went into the hospital for loosing my vision followed by a severe headache they told me it was a migraine and I lost my vision because that was my brains way of handling the pain of the lights. It wanted to subdue them so it shut off the contact. They were quacks then but who knows? Maybe that guy had a theory there... Question
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:05 am

I usually dont' dream or don't remember dreaming, I actually don't sleep too well either, esp with a migraine. Bad ones tend to get worse at night and sleep comes in little segments with painful wakeful times inbetween, where my head feels like it's going to explode. When I have the kind that last 2 or 3 days(I know that's not long for some of you) I dread going to bed, knowing that it'll get worse.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:17 am

Yes. Mine are real nigthmares.
One night I dreamt that I was a soldier and that I was fighting in the desert. I hallucinations and bullets kept hitting me on my helmet.

Another horrible dream that I often make during migraine is very "real". I wander about in an unknown town and look for a place where I can put my suppository (sorry, a little bit gross...). I can't find any right places so I start to cry but no one listens to me and I feel desperate.

Bye
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down