migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mobility scooters

3 posters

Go down

Mobility scooters Empty Mobility scooters

Post  dizzyflower Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:46 am

yesterday found myself asking lady not to run close round me in her mobility scooter because she very nearly had me over and straight on top of her. She was going through a Sterling Moss moment at the time form look on her face and I was a bit dizzy with migraine.

When I got back home just thought, who would be responsible for paying to get me home safe if she had tipped me and the world had gone spinning round me like it would? It can trigger a full blown migraine, not able to speak properly ect if I go over unexpecatedly so it could've been bad. Nobody I know would have been available to fetch me.

Someone said there is no legal requirement for liability insurance so I pressume she could trip me up if she liked. I then started thinking about the weight and size of it, bigger than some scooters, just how much damage could this thing have done to me? I'm glad I wasn't any more tired than I was or the day could've ended really badly.!!

I don't normally think about things that nearly happen because I'd be spending all day doing it but this one has got me thinking, probably because I can see both sides of what happend and know that because at the time we were both affected by some level of impairement, and that if we need to use one of those things because of what we have, what is there to protect us. I am thinking about this so much because my auntie has just had to have one and has just sold her car.

Aparently Toyota are to be selling a car in the next year that is basically a chair so there is a lot of alternative transport being encouraged. I'm wondering if I'l be falling over those too.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Mobility scooters Empty Re: Mobility scooters

Post  tecky Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Di, I understand your worry of what could have happened. I think about that occasionally too.

My mom uses a motorized scooter thing and has Alzheimers too--that's a little scary situation. Thank goodness she is in a very nice home for memory care. They keep a close eye on her as well as the others in the facility. It's a small family-like home.

I often worry about being somewhere without my purse in which I keep a current list of all my meds. There are so many that I'm sure there would be a real possibility of serious interactions with meds that might be given if a trip to the ER was made and I wasn't cognizant. I know my husband does not know all the meds I'm on because we're changing them so often. I'm a worrier by nature--can you tell?

Becky scratch flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Mobility scooters Empty mobility scooters

Post  crt Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:49 pm

I have the utmost empathy for anyone who has to use a scooter or a wheelchair. I am grateful that I can walk and don't need one of these devices. So please don't misunderstand.

However, I think that folks who use these machines have some responsibility in keeping track of their equipment and making sure that others are not harmed. My experience involved a city bus and a man in a motorized wheelchair. I have seen the man around town before. Although he is physically handicapped because of an accident, he has no mental handicap and is aware of what he is doing.

I was getting off a bus one morning. He was waiting for the bus. Perhaps I wasn't moving fast enough to suit him. I had been working all night so I was moving a little slower that I usually do. Anyway, maybe I wasn't moving fast enough for him.

When I stepped down to the sidewalk from the last step of the bus he ran right into me. The impact was so forceful that I fell down into the street in front of the bus. It's a good thing the bus driver was paying attention or maybe I would have been run over too. The bus driver was nice, got out of the bus and helped me up.

The man in the wheelchair didn't apologize, didn't say anything. Rude. He used his chair like a weapon.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Mobility scooters Empty that's awfull getting pushed into the road

Post  dizzyflower Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:19 am

sorry this happened I gues we were both lucky to be OK in the end

Last edited by dizzyflower on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ending thread out of respect for other post)

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Mobility scooters Empty Re: Mobility scooters

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum