migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Even more confused about insurance!

5 posters

Go down

Even more confused about insurance! Empty Even more confused about insurance!

Post  Paradox Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:00 pm

I recently switched GP's to go to one in my community rather than driving out of town. My old GP prescibed 30 vicoprofen and I filled at the pharmacy adjacent to her office. It cost $15.

I went to my new GP and was called in a script for a refill. It was sent to our local Walgreen's. The GP had called in 90 vicoprofen (I think I love my new GP!). When I paid, it was $11.

I don't get it, it was the same insurance company, but I got 30 for $15, and then 90 for $11.

Hunh? I's so confused! confused

Charlotte (aka Joan)
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Even more confused about insurance! Empty Re: Even more confused about insurance!

Post  tecky Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:05 pm

Wow, what a difference! I don't know why, but I'm glad that for a once it's a positive change. Who knows what's going on--maybe they have better compensation rates for three months' worth of prescriptions (if that's what 90 pills constitutes).?????

Becky
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Even more confused about insurance! Empty Re: Even more confused about insurance!

Post  Paradox Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:20 pm

The 90 compensates a one month supply. I can have one, three X a day.

Oh, Becky, how did you find and post your picture for your avatar? I'd like to try and find something on the web to represent me, but I'm not sure how to bring it over.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:37 pm

Click on "Profile" at the top of your screen;

then click on the "Avatar" tab (the screen comes up on the "Information" tab;

at the bottom it says something about choosing your Avatar from their galary. You can choose from all sorts of images from people to animals to characters.

Hope that's understandable. My head is killing me today, even with meds, and I'm not always good at explaining directions in this state.

Becky
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:17 pm

I'm sure I can get it from that. Thanks.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Olee Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:47 am

If it's anything like my insurance, a 90 day supply can sometimes be cheaper than a 30 day supply. I know this sounds crazy but it's the case these days. I have a few maintenance drugs that I have my doctor prescribe in 90 day refills. Case in point: I keep a rescue inhaler for my asthma. One inhaler by itself is $26.00, four inhalers is $40.00. Now I won't go through that many in a year, but you see the better deal. It's that way with all of my meds.
Olee
Olee

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:56 am

I assume your copay is $15, and the pharmacy that charged you $11 had a cheaper cash price. Every once in awhile the pharmacy will mess up and charge your copay which is higher than a cash price. You need to look at your paperwork and make sure the cash price (it should be listed) is not less than the copay. Yes, it pays a lot to shop around! Medication prices vary wildly. Many places will price match. Costco is typically cheapest.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:05 pm

It could also be that at Walgreens it's on the $4 fill list (cheaper generics) and it wasn't at your other pharmacy. I know I've asked for one of my meds to be prescribed at the double dose and I split it, since the 80mg is $4 and the 40 mg is $15 (80 mg on the cheap fill list, 40 isn't). for $11 a month, I'll split the silly things since they're scored and able to be split safely.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down