migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Triptan vs. DHE

3 posters

Go down

Triptan vs. DHE Empty Triptan vs. DHE

Post  estre004 Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Just took my first triptan today for an abortive. I am a DHE user but asked my neuro about other options in case it ever stopped working. Well, today on my way to work I have that "feeling" of a migraine coming on. Wasn't worried at all because I would take a squirt of my migranol at the first stop light. This early in the migraine stage one squirt will do it for me (do not need a whole vial). I about freaked out when I couldn't find any in my purse. I carry it everywhere. Anyway, I remembered I had the triptans so I took that instead. Wasn't as impressed as with the DHE. It took a couple of hours before I felt out of the woods, whereas the DHE works instantly for me. I have used the triptans as a preventive and it has worked and did work today (just took a long time). I'm not sure I would trust it for a full blown one.

Just writing my findings. Maybe someone else who has not tried DHE but uses triptans might want to give the DHE a try. I know not a lot of people on this site use it or it doesn't work for them as good as it does for me. I had to write this though because the DHE works miracles for me. It just might work the same for someone else.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Triptan vs. DHE Empty Re: Triptan vs. DHE

Post  pen Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:46 pm

Others might know better than me linda, but in the UK it doesnt seem to be used.
have never been offered it.
Although isnt there a new asthma type inhaler version supposed to be n its way...
A neuro was telling me about that this time last year, he made me think we will be getting that.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:20 pm

I used it a few years ago and it did work quite well if taken at the very first sign of migraine, but not at all if I took it too late or woke up with one. Worth a try though.

It was prescribed off label (off licence) and there is a company that imports things like this it into this country (UK). My neuro recommended it for me and my GP prescribed it. The local pharmacy ordered it in.

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:22 am

Just wanted to add that I woke up again with one today but was able to use the DHE. It kills the migraine completely. The triptan obviously didn't get rid of it completely or I wouldn't have had one this morning. Also, for me I can take the DHE even during a full blown migraine and it will abort it (takes a few hours but at least works "for me"). I was not at all impressed with the triptan. Pen - I'm wondering if the reason you keep having them is because the triptan doesn't completely wipe them out.

This is just my experience. I am so lucky to have a miracle drug. It is just so weird it can't work this way for everyone.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:11 am

Pen - I'm wondering if the reason you keep having them is because the triptan doesn't completely wipe them out.
I have thought that for ages Linda. I used to take more because it takes two to kill it.
This can be over two consecutive days, as now, or more usually three days with a day off.

I have had them all and none will now get it in one....I wish it would.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down