migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our own expertise.

+7
Ivy
sailingmuffin
moominamy
estre004
HeelerLady
alli
pen
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Our own expertise. Empty Our own expertise.

Post  pen Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:30 am

It seems to me that we do have quite a bit of our own expertise/experience on here.
In varying fields which might help us.

I wonder if we might step forward and declare any areas we have experience of.
Seems to me some of us are searching and researching, and using our precious energy in some areas where others on here are already quite clued up.

I am not a lot of help, but can say that my background, before migraines forced me to give up is psychology.
I know how a lot of you feel about that, but its all I can offer I think.
Well I come from a long line of master bakers, but not sure thats a lot of help....Smile Smile

Anyone else care to be our tame expert on anything else pertaining??
Or if you hate the idea......thats fine too.
Full of ideas me.. cheers Lot of time to think, if nothing else... lol!

pen

Back to top Go down

Our own expertise. Empty Re: Our own expertise.

Post  alli Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:11 am

My field of expertise is admin for financial advisors (I do NOT give out financial advice- I process paperwork and solve problems). And I have a "minor" in researching migraine pain along with TN pain.

I also used to bake cakes as a side business but haven't done that in a long time. Fibro pain in my hands makes it difficult, although I am making the cake for my son's wedding. Smile

I love to cook and try all sorts of different styles as I get bored with the same food, so that is probably where I have the best advice to give. I call myself a food snob Smile as I only like to eat good food. Not too much junk in my house and I'd rather make my own cookies and snack bars as I can control what goes in them and can load them up with all sorts of good things. Then when I don't want to eat because of a migraine, I know the snacks I will eat are somewhat good for me.

Mostly I'm just a normal person who has some info on pain and cooking.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:19 am

Well, I have a Master's in Animal Breeding (actually like research, hate looking up the articles but am proficient at it) but currently am an administrator/whatever needs to get done for a few groups under a large NIH grant within a university medical school. Gotta love new positions - they had no clue what I'd do and I just pick up things as they come up so it's been flexible. Smile

Have a creative side. Been sewing for years, I knit, crochet (prefer this over knitting), and have been beading for the last year or two. I'm so analytic but need to express the creativity somehow. Smile Right now making dog tugs and leashes from polarfleece, rope and tennis balls. And trying to possibly start a small business with it (at least I could do that much from home) along with a few beaded items.

I also love to garden. If I hadn't gone the animal route I'm pretty sure I would have gone the plant route. Have a zillion houseplants and love em all. Starting to run out of windows though. And can't wait for spring...trying to plan what I want to do this year - in an apartment and it'll have to be containers but more the challenge. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:29 am

I'm an expert in weight control, although I am self educated in that area. I do work in kinesiology, which includes exercise physiology.I'm also a fashion and decorating expert (like that is going to help migraines). Sure wish it would.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:22 am

I am a properly trained psychologist and hypnotherapist, for what good it is doing me;.
I had to give up after the death of my mum in 1991, and when my headaches got so bad.

Otherwise I write (they do say the mind hits you where it hurts the most).
Do genealogy, and love to take photos, if I can.
Other than that, considering my enormous years, I cant do much at all... silent

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:26 am

Pen, if you are a psychotherapist, can't you just make the pain go away--it is all in your head you know? Very Happy

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:36 am

estre004 wrote:Pen, if you are a psychotherapist, can't you just make the pain go away--it is all in your head you know? Very Happy

You'd think so wouldnt you Linda??
Actually I have helped people with pain in the past, even headaches, but not migraine, EXCEPT where there was an obvious psychological link.....sometimes there is....
I cant even listed to relaxation tapes because it is like watching the same movie over and over, I second guess it, get irritated, and give up.... occupational hazard I guess.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:25 am

Do we not have any people on here with some sort to of medical/scientific background please?

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:10 am

I do have a medical/scientific type of background but would prefer to keep things here seperate. This is my sanctuary and has been for over 7 years. I will offer my personal opinion and experience but never a professional one over the internet. And I might offer suggestions based on my experience for people to discuss with their own healthcare team. But here I am a severe migraine sufferer seeking much needed support. Nothing more.

As for other skills, I'm a pretty good cook (vegetarian stuff), am quite creative when I get round to it (jewellery, painting, crafts, interior design), and I used to enjoy dancing but it aggravates my head too much now.

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:15 am

Hi All,

I have a degree in English and some graduate work in religion. I attended seminary for a year, with the hope of becoming an ordained minister. Unfortunately, some of the professors felt that migraine was incompatible with a calling to the ministry. I was actiually told that severe migraines made me "an inconvenience to society and a detriment to the community." When I asked how I was detrimental o the community the dean told me that it "was because I had sked a friend to drive me to the neurologist/ hospital for treatment." (The hospital was five minutesaway.) So I have a year of divinity school. I also have a good deal of work towards a master in english.

However, the fainting has cut short my academic pursuits- I faint anywhere from 0-10 times each day, making it difficult to work or do anything- it is impossible to even do some volunteer work right now. Unfortunately, right now, my life revolves way too much around fainting and severe migraines. It is hard to function on the level I used to function. I could fight through the migraines, but it is much harder with fainting.

However, both parents are physicians, and they have helped tremendously.

From what I have read so far, it sounds like Rondas has a wide and interesting variety of talent. The advice here has always been invaluable- ever since I stumbled on to this site 12 years ago- shortly after severe migraines began.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:19 am

Amy, I did of course know that and respect your thoughts on that.
I wondered if there was anyone else?

For myself although I am here as a sufferer, I am happy to offer and advice that my tired head can still remember.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:20 am

I have a degree in foreign languages (English/French) and a master as translator.
I do a job that has nothing to do with translations btw.
I am the budget account for a technical department. I deal every day with finance/economy stuff and with figures (that's fun when migraine is there...)

My skills are mainly in sports. I love to run. When I was younger I played basket. Last year I took tennis lessons. Running is the thing I do best despite I'm not thin at the moment No

Bye
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:26 am

Well it looks like we might have found a migraine link....
We are all intelligent versatile people...... cheers

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:21 am

I didn't mean to ignore the link but like Amy I prefer to keep my anonymity on this site, hence the name Charlotte. It allows me to be more open and forthcoming than I was when I posted under my real name.

But, I do not have background in medicine. I am however very good at research and internet searching. Don't know if it matters, but I do have an advanced degree (Didn't someone post not to long ago that a Dr told him he had M's because he was too smart? YEAH, that's MY problem! FOFL).

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:39 am

There it is!! The link we have is our high IQ's!!! The brain is bursting with knowledge--hence the pain! That must be the reason Topamax works for people. Makes them dumb!!!

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:00 am

estre004 wrote:There it is!! The link we have is our high IQ's!!! The brain is bursting with knowledge--hence the pain! That must be the reason Topamax works for people. Makes them dumb!!!

Linda, you know they talk of us as type A personalities, and it is irritating being bagged like that.
But I am doing a bit of pride swallowing and thinking on...

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:02 am

hehehe estre, sure does! can't go back to my job now or I'll go home missin' some fingers and maybe some other important things.

Before migraines and baby girl, I was a machinist and mechanical inspector. I liked it, thought it was a pretty cool job, albiet very difficult for me to do since I'm not very good at math and inspecting parts is a mathmatical job all the way. A lot of angles, tangent, sine and cosine..., conversions, fun stuff. I miss it, but I'd miss my fingers more provided they got chopped off. Laughing

My biggest hobby is horseback riding. I don't have the cash to do it now but when I was younger I used to ride every day. I won lots of competitions on national levels, I'd have to say I was quite good. It is something that I put my heart into. I love horses and everything about them!

Now I'm pretty much a mom. My biggest hobby now is memorizing all the kids songs and books. I love you

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I'm brilliant but I do think I'm pretty smart if that counts for anything. I haven't met a dum-dum on this forum yet, so you know maybe that does have something to do with it. Maybe thats our link...Above average IQ.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:07 am

lovegia wrote:
My biggest hobby is horseback riding. I don't have the cash to do it now but when I was younger I used to ride every day. I won lots of competitions on national levels, I'd have to say I was quite good. It is something that I put my heart into. I love horses and everything about them! Maybe thats our link...Above average IQ.

I used to horse ride. From the age of eleven. I was passionate about it. AND I had one big nasty fall...on my head, and my hat fell off. Not sure if that knocked sense in or out......
Now I have to make do with chatting to them in the fields where we walk the dog, when I can get there.
Meanwhile I have a doggie.

My son has an IQ of about 180. He doesnt have headaches often, but he could be a ~"carrier"....

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:24 am

I feel ya pennie!! I rode from 6 years old and had two accidents. The first one was bad, I got thrown off into a jump post (big metal stand). My helmet (with a strap!) and boots Exclamation both came off for that one!! OUCH. Within 5 minutes though, I got back on the same horse that threw me.

Second time, It was hot out and I was exercising my instructors horse. Beautiful dapple gray mare with a huge attitude. That horse was perfect though, nasty b*#!$% but great over rails and had a perfect gait. I miss riding her to this day. It was too hot for her and she got lazy so she stopped out of nowhere and rolled over on me. Thankfully, I was an experienced rider by then and knew what she was planning so I got off her back just in time to avoid being squished.

I've been bitten, kicked, pushed into things, given whiplash..

I loved to train green horses, ones that have never been ridden before or have been ridden very little, so I have gotten my fair share of abuse. I always loved it and even though I'd get injured, I'd still stay at the barn for as long as I could before returning home. Smile
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:49 am

Well - another thing in common. Been on/around horses since I was little. I used to show but got sick of one person's opinion. I learned to jump in college (was an Equine major) but it wasn't enough to really pull me in. I still have a horse, granted he's turning 25 in April, but just haven't been able to go out and do anything with him (other than show up for the vet and farrier). Nothing wrong with him, but the thought of riding - not sure I could take it right now. We're both retired from the show ring and just trail ride when we get the chance.

Have also gone off a few times. Once, went of backward, while wearing a helmet and ended up with a concussion. I went off one of the school horses and completely knocked the stuffing out of me (couldn't move for a few minutes).

Lot of us seem to have scientific background....hmmm. Rather interesting
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Our own expertise. Empty medical technology

Post  dcook60 Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:12 am

long, long ago i achieved a degree and was a "registered" medical technologist. M.T. (A.S.C.P.) if anyone knows what that is. i worked in hospital and clinic laboratories. my career as mother to four sons and a daughter took precedence.

i'd always been interested in medical issues. good thing, now that i have to do all my own research because my doctors are not willing to do the innovative thinking required for my hard-core case of daily migraines. dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:34 pm

yeah i used to ride, my first job after leaving school was in a local stables, loved it, havent riddened for years now though, got thrown off several times, broke my wrist one time, and got concussion another, eventually had to get myself a 'proper' job, you know one that actually paid some money, so left it all behind.
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:49 pm

Isnt that interesting. We have a love of things equine...
So how many of us fell on our heads....

And yes I got right back on as well.

I was on a pinto pony called Cola.
We were exercising with some others and a racehorse called Charlie.
Charlie's rider decided to let him have his head.
Cola decided to follow!!!!
I lost my stirrups, I lost my reins. i tried to cover his eyes to stop him
I lost my seat.....
I think I also lost my nerve, but I was made to get back on and ride him home....
I am glad I did that.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Amen Pen! Getting back on IS hard but you feel proud afterwards. I had a lot of scares but thankfully never got too hurt. I was pretty good at holding on for dear life. I built up all my leg muscles and USED THEM! No stirrup riding is a good way to get them leg muscles up and running. I rode often with no equipment at all, no reigns or saddle.

I had my horse, Owen, who I trained to respond to left and right foot commands and saddle commands. I think this is concidered dressage. (IE press a little left, he'd go left..saddle commands are lean far foward stop, lean back to canter, lean a bit forward for trot) That was the funnest times I've ever had. He was cool, always knew to trot as well because i'd grab a tuff of his mane. It got a little girl in trouble once..she went to do it, he trotted and she wasn't ready. She fell, I felt terrible.

I loved all the horses, but Owen was always mine. He was my instructors horse but I had worked for no money to own him as soon as I was old and experienced enough. It was nice to have my own horse and have as much freedom as I wanted. I worked so much to pay for the full board, vet and farriers bills but it was well worth it.

I wish I could spend my life at the barn again. It was a great life. Very Happy
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:52 pm

My old guy (still acts like a sassy 2 year old)...yeah we've pretty much done every equine sport with him (minus dressage and jumping). The only times I've gone off horses was in a hunt saddle - nothing to grab on to. And falling off is scary...best thing is to get back on. Smile

LG - not sure if it was dressage but he definitely was a finished horse. What I mean is he had buttons to get him to do things, it just is a matter of pushing the right buttons. I've never done dressage but from what I've observed, it's more than just obeying pressure (which is what you described...although the leaning forward to stop is a new one - was always taught lean a bit back and sit deep). My horse obeys the same commands and we've never done dressage that's where my thought is coming from. Dressage is a whole lot different - the moves they do and cues to get them to do it...I find it fascinating. Smile

And yes they are a money pit...board, farrier, vet - once the old man passes on I probably won't get another for a long while (and not that this is pending, he's completely healthy). As for hanging out at the barn...mine is a bunch of women (nothing against that normally). But oh the drama....did you see what she did - oh I'm so mad I'm not speaking to her....cheez louise this isn't high school. I could do without that part.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum