migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

other migraineurs?

+5
CluelessKitty
Paradox
Ivy
Almostangela
crt
9 posters

Go down

other migraineurs? Empty other migraineurs?

Post  crt Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:21 pm

I saw a helper dog on the bus today who was wearing sunglasses. Now I'm sure his owner put them on him, but the dog seemed to like the sunglasses. It got me to thinking. Do you think other species have migraines? I especially wonder about our closest relatives, the chimps, orangs, and gorillas. We share a lot of other ailments with them. Maybe they have migraines too. If so and if the animal is one who knows sign language, can you imagine him or her telling the trainer about it?

It would be interesting but also very sad. I remember the story about the signing gorilla who told his humans about witnessing the murder of his mother when he was a baby in Africa. What a horrible thing to have happen. I don't think it was much different for him than it would be for us if we saw a parent killed in front of us.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

other migraineurs? Empty Re: other migraineurs?

Post  Almostangela Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:47 pm

The way that breeds have been messed with or 'refined' it wouldn't surprise me at all that some breeds have a propensity to migraines. If some have hip problems or eye problems, why not migraines. Maybe they are not docile or sleeping. Maybe they are hiding from light and noise.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:45 am

Why not?
If dogs suffer from diabetis and cats from stone kidney, for instance, why shouldn't animals in general suffer also from migraine?

Poor things, it must be hard for them if they can't take triptans Sad
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:12 am

There's a very moving documentary called "People of the Forest: The Chimps of Gombe"

The chimps have such human characteristics and it's heart wrenching at the end when one of the chimps, who was a very spoiled boy of a older mother and disliked by the other members of the group, literally wouldn't move from the tree above his deceased mother's body. He grieved himself to death.

We have had many pets. I rescue seniors, so we don't have them as long as we would if we got them when they were pups.

One thing I refuse to do is treat a dog for cancer. I watched my sister do it, put the dog through amputations, chemo and oh, how that dog suffered without the capacity to understand what was going on or have input as to whether to continue treatment or not. Ultimately the treatment was not successful. Even my sister said she would never do that an animal again.

I've only had one with cancer. We treated her with painkillers, but when it got to the point where the painkillers were not relieving her pain we put her down. To me that was the thing to do as a humane pet owner.

I'm sure they do suffer from migraines. Poor, poor things.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:07 am

((((((Charlotte)))))))) for rescuing seniors. That is so sweet.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:36 pm

We have had many pets. I rescue seniors, so we don't have them as long as we would if we got them when they were pups.

Yes, big kudos to you for that, Charlotte. Not many people want an old pet who often needs a lot of clean up after, not to mention a heartache of a goodbye which naturally anyone would prefer to avoid.
But the poor abandoned animals still need a loving care in their senior days all the same.
So hugs hugs hugs and BIG THANK YOU CHARLOTTE on behalf of all those senior animal citizens who you rescued over the years cheers

As for the subject of the thread, I recall a similar one was once discussed on "old Ronda's" year ago.
It was concluded that yes definitely animals such as cats and dogs can have migraines.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

other migraineurs? Empty doggie migraines

Post  crt Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:00 pm

Risa,

Maybe that is another business we can think about: sunglasses, ice packs, gentle music CDs, and our other favorite migraine comforts custom designed for our furry friends. Smile

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:28 pm

I think my dog gets migraines. He puts his paws on top of his eyes and ears and retreats to a dark cool place, which he doesn't do often. He usually prefers to lay in the rays of sunshine that comes in through the windows. I comfort him the same way I'd like to be treated and but ice packs on his head and he sits still. I've tried to do put ice on his head when he was laying in the sun and he got up and walked away. I think that says something.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Exactly - something like that was said about possibly migraining pets - that they behave in similar way like your dog, Lovegia - retreating once in a while to a dark place, avoiding bright light, and even vomiting.
Sounds familiar, eh?

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:10 am

i know that pigs suffer from sunburn, and they say their skin is a prone to sunburn as ours!!

not sure thats relevant buts its all i could think of to add. pig
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:17 am

The dog that I had that had cancer, well I knew she had cancer when I adopted her. She was eight years old and her owner had died and she needed a home.

When we had to put her down 6 months later I was still bawling like a baby. I told the vet that I didn't think I would care that much since I knew what the outcome was going to be. She said if I hadn't cared so much I wouldn't have adopted her in the first place.

Hubby just says I have "sucker" written across my forehead. Rolling Eyes

This is where we get our babies from http://www.bassetrescue.org/. A fantastic organization. And yes, our puppies have participated in the Basset Waddle. Since they're old though they end up finishing the Waddle in the "pooped puppy wagon".

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:25 am

I have often wondered about my Mother's cat. She frequently has vomiting spells. She does not like the loud noise that the helicopters landing at the hospital make as they fly over our house; she hides in her boom shelter, which is under my bed. Also some of the positions that she sleeps in look like she may be pressing her head down, trying to relieve pain.

I also wonder about my rats, because of some of their sleeping positions.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:08 pm

I remember posting this same question years ago on the old migraine page. I can't see any reason why animals wouldn't suffer from this, too. I suspect the ones in the wild which are prey animals are soon devoured. I know I wouldn't be able to run away from a predator while suffering so.

I don't have any experience with any of my pets (all cats...and a couple of fish). I hate to even think about such a thing since they don't have any redress for their pain.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Maybe that is another business we can think about

rotflmao
Kris, my father was forever thinking up some business to make money off and get rich in the process.
Needless to say, he never came up with any, but while he was thinking up the ideas he was driving my mom crazy. She called his habit "coming up with a flying carpet business" lolol

I guess I am my father's daughter 100%!

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down