migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acupuncture?

+14
Jangel
Andrew
meihee
Anna's Mom
pen
estre004
LizzieB
theresae
Ivy
HeelerLady
tecky
ajr
LG
LyLy
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Acupuncture? - Page 2 Empty Acupuncture

Post  kellijanesmith Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:55 am

Hi,
I've had a great success with acupuncture this year. I was like most of the posters here until recently. I tried acupuncture twice before, but I realize now that I was not going to practitioners who were truly qualified to practice Eastern medicine (Chinese medicine). I had seen two different chiropractors who advertised that they did acupuncture, but with no results whatsoever. Now that I have been seeing a very experienced acupuncturist (she has thousands of hours of experience and studied in China, etc.), there is definitely a difference... which is really too bad because I think people are being put off to acupuncture because they aren't being treated properly.

I had immediate help from my treatment. I'd had a migraine for about 3 months straight... every day... it was brutal. I was taking way more medication than I feel comfortable taking (especially the pain pills)... and a family practice doctor my father knows recommended I see an acupuncturist she knew had helped another of her patients. I made an appointment immediately, and within the first 2 weeks, my constant pain was gone... and since then, the frequency has decreased as has the intensity of the pain. I have been going weekly for 8 months. My appointments started out at $78 per session and are now $88... but for me, it's well worth that cost. I haven't had to get my prescriptions filled for 3 months (which saved me $185 a month), am not taking nearly as many drugs, and have been having a much more normal life as of recent. For anyone in Omaha, my acupuncturist is Donna Huber, L.Ac., Dipl. Ac., C.H., Master of Science in Oriental Medicine, http://www.thirteenmoonsacupuncture.com

I've been so happy with it that I'm writing a book about Migraines and Acupuncture. I'm seeking submissions from other people who have had experiences with acupuncture. If you might be interested in submitting your story, I would love to hear it. There is a page for submitting your experiences here:

http://www.MigrainesandAcupuncture.com

You're also welcome to read more about my experiences with acupuncture... and years of my blog posts about my migraines at http://www.migrainedaily.com

Sincerely,
Kelli Smith Smile

kellijanesmith

Back to top Go down

Acupuncture? - Page 2 Empty Acupuncture

Post  Chinookgrl Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:33 am

I am trying it right now. I am only 3 sessions in and my acupuncturist tells me that 6 weeks to notice any change
and give him 3 months for significant change. As someone mentioned before he is trained in China with loads of
experience etc. I am also on a chinese herb that he has given me. I am off all preventatives (scary for me) and
trying this combined with butterbur/magnesium/b vitamin/co Q10 to see if I can get M's under control.

It'll be interesting I'll post how I'm doing. At the very least it is an hour a week all to myself with someone really
taking care of me. Very relaxing,zen. Oh and it is $80 a session -- it adds up!

Jo
Chinookgrl
Chinookgrl

Back to top Go down

Acupuncture? - Page 2 Empty Re: Acupuncture?

Post  estre004 Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:46 am

I was told it took 10 weeks minimum and was real skeptical about the whole thing. Have to admit my neck pain is significantly better. I haven't had it for migraine, just for the neck.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:15 pm

estre004 wrote:Cheryl - I also thought that if I had my own personal masseuse I could ward off migraines, but he/she would have to be with me all the time because it would have to be caught at the beginning.

The profession is really, really trying hard to get rid of that term. It brings up pictures/ideas of what the profession is really trying to move away from. I know it's innocently used by most but it's a good way to "get off on the wrong foot" with a massage practitioner.

Besides.....Look at my avatar pic. Does that look anything like a masseuse?Very Happy Someone that wears Carhart pants and flannel shirts, drives an SUV, has a raspy mustache and soul patch. Laughing
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Kelli, I wish we lived closer to Omaha Smile

Maybe we'll do a road trip this summer and go see your acupuncturist.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Acupuncture? - Page 2 Empty I tried it

Post  TheBookworm411 Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:58 pm

I tried it on the recommendation of my little brother who had leukemia and got it for pain. I went to his acupuncturist a few times and it was very relaxing but painful. She is one of the best.

It was too far for me to go so I tried another guy by my home. It was extremely painful. Almost every needle hurt and they hurt the whole time. They usually made my migraine worse because it was so painful. I gave it about 8 months because I was desperate and I thought it might need long term to work. It never made my migraine better. It was expensive. It was only covered by my insurance if it was from specific people and the guy by my house wasn't covered. But when you are desperate you'll do anything.
TheBookworm411
TheBookworm411

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum