migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coconut Oil Success?

5 posters

Go down

Coconut Oil Success? Empty Coconut Oil Success?

Post  Jen E Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Have you had M relief from adding coconut oil to your diet? How fast did you notice results? Did you cook with it or take it straight? Any details about your experience are appreciated!

Jen E

Back to top Go down

Coconut Oil Success? Empty coconut oil and botox

Post  dcook60 Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:19 pm

a couple of months ago i posted that coconut oil seemed to be my "answer".  interestingly, at first, i was actually able to do without any triptans for several days in a week.  formerly, for at least the last 13 or so years, i needed one or more than one, daily.

i continue to take 1 tablespoon faithfully.  i melt it and take it off the spoon, or maybe put it in a bit of juice. i don't mind the taste. if i take more, my digestive system hates it, and so i've stuck with a small dose.  it's still helping, but not as dramatically as at first.  i wish i could take more.  the recommended dose is 2-4 T per day.  

here's another update:  44 years of migraine have made me try most everything.  several years ago i tried botox with a neurologist, paying for it myself.  now, it is approved for migraine, but then it was not.

it did not help at the time.  but now that much more is known about how to "shoot" the migraineur, and the treatment is approved by medicare , i decided to try again.  my new neuro has done the shots thousands of times.  i got about 30 shots monday.  

there are 6-8 zones they shoot; forehead, temples, back of head, neck, shoulder muscles.  i was in excruciating pain the night of the shots.  the shots themselves don't hurt, but my body did not respond well that first night, all night.  the next day (tuesday) no more pain from the shots.  

4 days later:  i was able to go 2 days in a row without a triptan.  maybe it'll really help this time!  the doc said i would probably have an idea of success in about a week.  or longer.  will keep posting.  dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Coconut Oil Success? Empty Re: Coconut Oil Success?

Post  Kem10 Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:20 am

I too have tried coconut oil and like you Jen, my digestive system does not like it much. I do sometimes cook with it or put a teaspoon of it on a baked sweet potato instead of butter. The small amount is tolerated but has not helped my migraines. I keep trying to use it though because it is a healthy product.
Kem10
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Post  Jen E Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I just got my coconut oil today. I like coconut a lot, so that's a bonus. Not sure of my stomach or digestive tract will have an issue yet. My stomach is normally pretty agreeable to things. I'm starting with about a teaspoon - TBS a day.

Jen E

Back to top Go down

Post  Jen E Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:45 pm

Well, I tried coconut oil today. It was the only "new" food I ate. Got a bad migraine and had to take a Maxalt (I only take my rx as a last resort). Knocking coconut oil off my list of foods I can eat for now. Crying or Very sad 

Jen E

Back to top Go down

Post  Kem10 Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:04 am

Wondering if anyone else is having success or problems with coconut oil? I was doing ok with a teasp or less in my first cup of morning coffee but this past week have been struggling with diarrhea every morning so now I'm wondering.... On the other hand it could have just been a virus of some sort. Going to wait a few days and go back to it to see.
Kem10
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Post  Cassiej Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:29 am

In January I started on a teaspoon and worked up to 2 tbl a day. But, at the same time I was weaning myself from carbs. I began seeing M improvements in Feb. Then, listened to Audiobook Grain Brain and that neurologist recommended teaspoon so I just use it to cook with now. But, I had no gastric upset from the oil. My understanding of the oil use is that it corrects an imbalance in the types of oil we consume. The coconut oil helps get the body into a ketogenic state. FYI my limited understanding is from listening to an audiobook so can't go back and get quotes etc. And, my understanding may be skewed as my brain ain't what it used to be!

Cassiej

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:18 am

I am now up to 3 teaspoons per day of coconut oil.  I too had issues with diarrhea and malaise at first, after increasing my dose.  However after I waited it out for several days or up to a week (continuing to take the coconut oil), all the side effects went away.  Your body has to increase its production of the enzyme lipase in order to digest coconut oil, which is a lipid, so at first you have diarrhea until this goes into effect.

I've been taking it since November, and so far the effects I have noticed are:
- I don't get sick.  Ever.  Usually I'll get a cold or virus everytime one of my coworkers does.  Illnesses have gone around my workplace probably 6-7 times since November and I have not come down with a single one.  Not even for a day.
- It seems to help with digestion problems.  I know at first it causes them, but once that's passed it really seems to help them.  On the one occasion I accidentally ate food coloring, I did not have any digestion issues like I normally do.  I usually get some minor issues from drinking caffeine or alcohol, as well, but it seems to really decrease that especially if I take a teaspoon shortly before or after drinking.
- I used to get very drowsy after eating.  Now I feel more normal, I don't go into "food coma."  (I take my teaspoon at meals).
- I just generally have more energy, and my weight is holding at 5lbs less than I was before using coconut oil.  I believe this is due to it increasing my metabolism.
- I have far less cravings for sugary foods like candy.  I used to always, nearly everday, have strong cravings for sweets.  I still eat them sometimes but in a much smaller amount.  Occassionally my pee smells sweet... maybe TMI, but if I eat a lot of sweets it does.  I think this is because my body is using more fats for energy from the coconut oil and less sugar, and letting the sugar out in my urine.

There has been no effect on my migraines, but I wouldn't really expect there to be one until I actually go into a real ketogenic diet.
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Kem10 Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:16 am

That is very encouraging Seaine. Wish it had helped your headaches but still not getting sick at all and having better digestion is very significant.
Kem10
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down