migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let me reintroduce myself

2 posters

Go down

Let me reintroduce myself Empty Let me reintroduce myself

Post  Texasheadache Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:32 pm

I used to visit and contribute for several years back in 2000-2003 but divorce, moving etc. not to mention a wife logging on as me, caused me to cease my contributions on my diet based efforts.
But here I am (again) all these years later with a new experience that I'd like to share.

Remember the capsaicin cure that was popular some years ago? I experimented with it over the years with little success until very recently when I had a breakthrough.

These days my migraines are down to a couple per month, mostly caused by mold allergies (weather change migraines?) that hit me when mold spores bloom here in Central Texas. As a bench mark, we almost daily see mold counts of 1000 per cu. meter, often see 12,000, and recently saw a record 40,000 on a particularly bad day. My headaches start as the count is increasing and typically last 18 to 24 hours. Sometimes they progress to migraines.

The "cure" I discovered is not really a cure, but several hours of total relief, but it is instantaneous! But like any hot spice, it is not for everybody. So take care if you try it.

I stumbled upon this by putting too much wasabi mustard on some sushi, and as the aromatic mustard fumes went up my nose like a blowtorch, I let out a loud yelp but then as I wiped the tears from my eyes I suddenly realized my day long headache was completely gone.

I have used this method many times since, including today, with the same results. Sometimes the headache is gone for good, sometimes only a few hours. Sometimes I use it to get immediate relief while also taking antihistamines or Ascomp Cod (Fiorinal?), and I've shared my wasabi with a co-worker who also gets migraines with the same success.

I believe it is the intense pain and/or proximity to the nasal ganglia that releases natural pain killers in the body. But what ever it is, it works quite well for my mold triggered headaches.

I did try it before with no success years ago after reading about it (here?) but failed to reach the "blowtorch" level apparently necessary to get the relief.

I use store (HEB) bought- not true wasabi- but horseradish based wasabi with green dye. A blob about the size of a large pea works for me.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, what were your experiences?

Please be careful with this method if you have never tried this before. I have "overdosed" while experimenting and had a moderate asthma like reaction to the mustard fumes going down into my lungs. And I insist that you never, ever try this or anyone else's idea's without carefully researching for yourself.

Steve in Texas

Texasheadache

Back to top Go down

Let me reintroduce myself Empty Re: Let me reintroduce myself

Post  dcook60 Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:12 am

wow, steve, this sounds scary to me, who can't stand any "hot" food. good thing i wasn't born mexican.

i'd be really interested to know others who have tried this with your kind of success, though. dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum