migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5-HTP; anyone tried it?

2 posters

Go down

5-HTP; anyone tried it?  Empty 5-HTP; anyone tried it?

Post  ZomigMan Fri May 25, 2012 1:53 am

Has anyone here that gets food intolerance type migraines tried 5-HTP supplaments?

I have been reading up on MAO and MAOIs lately, as people that are on MAOIs tend to wind up getting migraines. Which has lead me to believe that MAO somehow removes tyromine from your system or converts it to something else and thus avoiding migraines. That seems to be what the University of Maryland Medical Center has concluded anyway. There is quite a lot of debate amung medical prefessionals and people on the web about 5-HTP. It is a precursor to 5-HT, or seratonin, and your body converts L-tryptophan to 5-HTP but in small amounts. Several studies indicate that taking 5-HTP reduces the frequency of migraines.
ZomigMan
ZomigMan

Back to top Go down

5-HTP; anyone tried it?  Empty 5 HTP

Post  rileyoday Sat May 26, 2012 10:03 pm

I used it for two years in various doses. It lowered my daily HA/M intensity from 7-8-9 to 5-6-7. It started helping in the first week. Never reduced the weekly number . ( five a week ) I stopped taking it when my script clonidine lowered my M to two a week.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

5-HTP; anyone tried it?  Empty Re: 5-HTP; anyone tried it?

Post  ZomigMan Mon May 28, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Lowering the intensity of my migraines by 2 points would definately be worthwhile. My mega-intense migraines that I get are not fun, especially when I have to vomit. Crying or Very sad So I ordered 5-HTP online and I will try it.
ZomigMan
ZomigMan

Back to top Go down

5-HTP; anyone tried it?  Empty Re: 5-HTP; anyone tried it?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum