migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Probiotics

+4
ZomigMan
Beldame
Mini
Wendy
8 posters

Go down

Probiotics Empty Probiotics

Post  Wendy Fri May 11, 2012 3:17 am

A nutritionist friend of mine sent me this link about probiotics and a possible effect on migraines:

http://www.optibacprobiotics.co.uk/resource-centre/faq/category-precise-conditions/45-can-probiotics-help-with-migraines.html

Okay, it's on a website of a company who endorse probiotics and it might all be crap, but I'm going to introduce a few probiotics such as tempeh and sauerkraut into my diet. I've always avoided yoghurt as I heard it can be a migraine trigger, and I'm not sure I get much else by way of probiotics. Worth a try?
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Probiotics Empty Re: Probiotics

Post  Mini Fri May 11, 2012 5:04 am

I am always highly doubtful about such semi-scientific claims, since they are not based on clinical evidence, expecially when they are quoted by a company actually selling the recomended product.

I know for certain that saurkrout gives me the worst Ms, so this one definitely goes out of the window. I have also long suspected that yoghurt (which I love) is a M trigger for me.

There is also some serious misinforamtion in this article:
my doctor told me never, ever take yoghurt at the same time as antibiotics, becasue it stops antibiotics working it kills the positive effect of antibiotics. You can start taking youghurts only after you have finished the course.

The whole article does not inspire much confidence, if you look at it more closely.

Last edited by Mini on Fri May 25, 2012 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Beldame Sat May 12, 2012 5:30 am

I have also read that for many Tempeh is a trigger and since I sometimes have problems with more than small amounts of tofu (also derived from soy) I have avoided it myself.

of course, Migraine is a very personal thing--different people react different ... but definitely proceed w. caution/skepticism.

(Actually, sounds as if you are doing that already.)

Beldame

Back to top Go down

Post  ZomigMan Fri May 25, 2012 1:32 am

Cultured soy products are a sure path to a migraine for me. I avoid tofu, miso, and soy sauce. Yogurt is not that bad for me, nor is cottage cheese, ricotta, or mozarella. Sour cream seems to be on both the yes and no migraine avoidance lists, depending on where you look.

I take probiotics in pill form in the morning with breakfast. They do not seem to bother me much, and I have a happier colon. I do not think that they help avoid migraines though. Eating foods with tyromine are the main trigger for my migraines.
ZomigMan
ZomigMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Wendy Tue May 29, 2012 11:08 am

Thanks for all your replies. So far, it's made no difference either way to the number of migraines, but I've been on holidays so it's not been a regular consumption. Will try again from tomorrow and report back in a few weeks!

Also struggling to get normal blood pressure back after stopping Propropanolol a month ago. So maybe I'm still clearing it out of my system anyway.
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Probiotics Empty Probiotics

Post  Faithtofreedom Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:48 am

Probiotics are sold in Natural Health Food stores in capsule form. They are great for the digestion because they reintorduce good bacteria into your body. As far as helping migraines, I have never heard of that.

Faith aka Diana

Faithtofreedom

Back to top Go down

Post  charmed quark Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:11 pm

I've been taking probiotics for more than two years on the advise of my gastro. They've had no effect, pro or con, on my migraines but have helped me a LOT with the severe boating I was getting every time I ate.

Getting them naturally didn't work. Too much yogurt triggers migraines with me.

Not all the probiotics I tried have work. My gastro recommended Align, which worked well for about 4 months and then quit working. Since then I've had better luck with the Probiotic 4X that Walmart and some drug stores sell.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  Wendy Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:08 am

Well, this is the longest I've gone without a migraine for a very long time! It's been three weeks and three days, and no migraine. No idea if it's related to the probiotics or the fact that I've been able to run regularly and improve my fitness level for the first time in years, but something is working. Will keep you updated on how long this lasts.
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wendy Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:20 pm

Still no migraine! Five weeks today. I'd always avoided yoghurt in case it was a trigger for me, but that little bit of bifiduswhatsitcalled on my cereal every morning has had the opposite effect. If you're not 100% sure it's a trigger for you, I'd say it's worth a shot. And if it doesn't work, don't give up. I almost did and now I'm very glad I didn't.
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jilly Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Wendy,
I have been reading your little story about getting into foods that have natural probiotics and how they have helped with your migraines. A while ago I had discussed this topic with my own doctor and asked what she thought about kefir. I had previously done some research on the topic and found the same information as you did. I found some kefir grains and began making my own kefir, which I usually drink on a daily basis. The months that I drink the kefir, I have less migraines. When I stop drinking kefir I experience more migraines. Kefir is great for so many things. My doctor and pharmacist both are very happy that I drink it. I am happy when I drink it too!

Jilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Wendy Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:53 pm

Jilly, it's a relief to know that it's not just me going batty about some miracle cure. I'm impressed that you make your own kefir. I bet it tastes much nicer than the shop-bought stuff too. And what a bonus that it has a good effect on both the migraines and other things too. I haven't noticed any other positive (or negative) side effects so far, but maybe they'll become more obvious over time. I'm happy with their one major effect so far. :O)
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wendy Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:32 pm

Or maybe I spoke to soon. Two migraines in the past three days (got one right now). It's like I jinxed it by announcing it. Sad
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post  WilmaMoose Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:27 pm

Hi Wendy, how do you deal with this migraines? You said you had 2 for this week? What did you eat or do that maybe the cause of this migraines?

WilmaMoose

http://tanningbeds.mercola.com/tanning-beds/vitality-tanning-bed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wendy Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:47 pm

No, I ate none of my triggers, but at that time of my cycle, migraines are frequent. I haven't had another one since then (but I rarely get them for 7 to 10 days during the 'calm' part of my cycle). We'll see what happens next week...

I deal with them with triptans which are usually effective once they kick in.
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down