migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great experience with new neurologist!

2 posters

Go down

Great experience with new neurologist! Empty Great experience with new neurologist!

Post  Tamsha101 Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:08 pm

Really liked him AND he was very good looking too - ha ha! Anyway, he ran through my history, did a quick office exam and said not to offend me but I was wired differently than other people. HA HA He said most migrainers are but people who only suffer migraine equivalents and not the actual headache itself are few and far between. He figures I have transformed migraine - going from "normal" migraines to a radically changed one - most often occurs in women who reach the perimenopausal stage in their life. Figures that my problem was a combination of stress/anxiety and hormonal changes - exactly what I thought all along. The medications that I'm on now are good but he wants to bump the nori up 20mg more. I bumped it up from 20 to 30 about a month ago and have noticed I've been feeling better (usually takes 4 weeks anyway). The pain that I've been feeling in my neck, upper back and down my arm for years is the one part of my brain that causes pain to that nerve - so instead of feeling head pain with my migraines I feel that pain. Here I thought I was having heart problems because it mimics the same pain - brother! He also gave me the option of Botox which he does in his office but as a last resort as its not as effective for migraine equivalent sufferers only. He just finished giving a lecture to a bunch of GPs at our local university on migraine and menopause so I guess he knows what he's doing.

So in a nutshell I have to increase my nori from 30 to 50 mg, VERY important that I get 45 minutes of heart raising exercise 3 to 4 times a week, cut out coffee (not even ONE CUP!), have decaff he said (UGH) and no artificial sweeteners or regular soda of any kind. He wants to see me again in 3 months but in the interim he would like me to email him every month and let him know how I'm doing and if I have any questions. That surprised me! He is also emailing me a bunch of documentation to read so I have a better understanding of my condition - I think I've read it all anyway. He also said when he was examining my eyes that I have an outstanding cortex or something (bet I never heard THAT line before he said).

Anyway, I feel much better about everything - it was worth the 6 month wait. I just have to do what he says, especially the exercise part, which will be tough but I know better for me all around. So....that's it!

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Great experience with new neurologist! Empty Sounds positive

Post  k8ate Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:57 pm

HI there,
I am brand new here, but no stranger to migraines, ugh. I read your post and it sounds like you have a good Neurologist. I do too, and I find it really helps to have a supportive and understanding Dr. when it comes to migraines. I wanted to share my own personal experience that exercise really helps a lot. I swim 4 days week for 15-20 min only. I do not think that one has to do 45 min to benefit. Perhaps for weight loss yes, but for relief from symptoms, I believe that 15 min is sufficient. That may take some pressure off you. At least do not criticize yourself if you ONLY do 15 min of exercise, you will still reap many benefits. What is a migraine equivalent? thanks
Kate

k8ate

Back to top Go down