migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm new here's my story

+4
Kate
Jangel
living
Ian Gow
8 posters

Go down

I'm new here's my story Empty I'm new here's my story

Post  Ian Gow Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:00 am

I have suffered with migraines since i was 12 I am now 46. I have had spells ( a couple of years ) where i havent had them but then they return. my migraines usually occur when i've been stressed, doesn't have to be major stress, and then i'm no longer stressed that is when i get them. Although i do think i have other factors that contribute to me having them. I have the usual, blurry eye numbness in arms lips and fingers. By this time i'm usually in bed. I've ended up in hospital twice as i was going in and out of conciousness. I've been seeing the same doctor for more years than i care to remember. I used to see him everytime i had one just to register that id had one because my work have access to my medical records and migrianes do not effect my sick pay or attendance. In december last year I had a migraine, my first for about 4 months, usually i get them at least every 3 weeks. I couldnt see my usual doctor so i saw another one. She was a breath of fresh air, all my other doctor did prescribe beata blockers and some other tablets i cant remember the name. she asked me what i took when a migraine came on, i said nothing, she was shocked and prescribed a nasal spray. She also gave me a website to look at. I did this and among other things it said was that eating bananas could help. I put 2 and 2 together and realised i'd been eating them for the four months that i'd not had one, but had stopped eating them. This coincided with me having a migraine. I have now been eating at least one banana a day since and have not had a migraine. I am not saying i have found a cure for my migraines but every day i dont have one is a very good day!! My point after boring you ( if anyone is reading) is that instead of just looking at what gives you a migraine maybe we should look at what stops you from having them.

Ian Gow

Back to top Go down

I'm new here's my story Empty Re: I'm new here's my story

Post  living Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:05 am

I'm getting some bananas.

* darn! since the floods they're $12 a kilo!

** I'm still getting some bananas.

Thanks Ian =)

living

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Gow Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:08 am

hey, i'm not saying bananas are for everyone but i'd say most of us have kept a food diary but that is usually to see what gives us a migraine. Try keeping one to see what you're eating while you are not having one.

Ian Gow

Back to top Go down

Post  living Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:15 am

Yes I took your point - to look at what we are eating when we're not having migraines. It's a very revolutionary idea which makes a lot of sense. But I'm still getting bananas.

By the way...Welcome! And thanks for sharing your story. I'm so happy for you that you have made this discovery for yourself. What a pleasure it must be. Having no control over when a migraine will hit must be one of the worst aspects of having them. And you've got [one part of] a handle on that now...awesome!

Very Happy

living

Back to top Go down

Post  Jangel Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Welcome Ian!

Just a quick FYI....it helps us all if you break your postings up into smaller paragraphs. It's too hard for many of us to read when it's all in a big block. It's too hard on our heads and eyes.... Thanks so much!!

Jane cat
Jangel
Jangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:31 pm

I am avoiding bananas because I thought that they were high on the trigger list but if they can possibly help then I need to try. Is anybody here triggered by bananas?

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Welcome to our forum, Ian. Thanks for telling us your story.
Interesting about bananas; this is one fruit, that is not my favourite, so I never eat it, but recently my little g-daughter was visiting, so I bought some for her.
However, every time I walked past my fruit basket I could smell it, and in bothered me, so I put it away.

One thing I have lernt beacuse of my migraines is how to listen to my body, and the way it reacts to the world, the foods I eat, the cosmetics and cleaning products I use, so again this event reminded s me that there might be something in bananas, that is bad for my migraines.

However reading what you said,I might try to eat one one day "medicinally" but my intstinct tells me that they might not be good for my migraines.

BTW do you eat them when they are still very firm, or very ripe? I know that in the past I could not even touch the banana, unless it was very, very ripe. Or, does it matter?

I know that there are certain foods that help some of us, but are bad for others migraine suferrer, so this is always trial and error situation.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Welcome, Ian. I'm very glad you were able to find something easy and natural to help control your migraines. I don't care for bananas, but have eaten them in the past without any difference in my migraines.

I hope I can find something like that someday. I wish it was strawberries or peanut butter. Love them both. LOL

Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:57 pm

Bananas are high in potassium. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Kate-

They're something that will get me, but I hate them in general, so it may just be the smell of a hated food

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down