migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sleep - how to stop the racing thoughts

+2
Migrainegirl
Tamsha101
6 posters

Go down

Sleep - how to stop the racing thoughts Empty Sleep - how to stop the racing thoughts

Post  Tamsha101 Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:24 am

Sleep is my biggest trigger and for the past few months I havent been able to sleep through the night. I have no problem GOING to sleep, it's staying asleep that's the problem. Even sleeping pills dont seem to help. I wake up, my mind races and then I'm screwed - tired the next day and inevitably a migraine. Anyone else have problems like this? How do you deal with it?

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Sleep - how to stop the racing thoughts Empty Re: Sleep - how to stop the racing thoughts

Post  Migrainegirl Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Yes I used to have that problem frequently. It is hugely frustrating. I found that tylenol PM helped alot. Also Tizanadine knocks me right out and I sleep very soundly again.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Sleep - how to stop the racing thoughts Empty Re: Sleep - how to stop the racing thoughts

Post  lissy Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:31 am

Have you tried meditation at all? Its a hard skill to master but practice does help. I'm slowly finding it easier to calm my brain down. Sometimes just lying there and concentrating on my breathing can help. Best of luck.
lissy
lissy

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:09 am

I have this problem sometimes, too. Usually, I can trace it back to a little too much caffeine or meds that make my heart race. I recently read an article that suggested thinking about very specific and detailed things instead of generic ones like counting sheep. This has really helped me. The one that really helps for me is to think of a butterfly landing on a flower. I them imagine all the shapes and colors of each one. It is much easier to shut out roaming thoughts this way. Before I know it I am asleep again. Hope you find something that helps.
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  somebodyhealme Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Meditation and relaxation breathing have helped my anxiety tremendously. Like others I also take Zanaflex at bedtime for sleep.
somebodyhealme
somebodyhealme

http://somebodyhealme.dianalee.net

Back to top Go down

Post  newtothis Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:06 pm

Nortriptyline helped me with this. Not nearly as bad as I used to be.
newtothis
newtothis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down