migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lack of fluid

+7
Migrainegirl
stephgood
Mini
Paradox
Swisslady
sailingmuffin
dawn.binks
11 posters

Go down

lack of fluid Empty lack of fluid

Post  dawn.binks Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:49 am

i took my son and his friend to a museum on saturday and had hoped to sit in the cafe when we got there to have a lunch and a drink! there was no cafe or restraunt or somewhere to sit and eat our food wed taken so we looked round the museum for 2 hrs.

by the time we came out i was going into such a horrific migraine i couldnt find the way back to the train station and had to get a lift.

i have written to the museum to ask if they would consider using one of their empty rooms for people to sit and eat in especially as it was out of town and not nr another cafe.

does anyone else find lack of fluid or food brings on migraines??
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

lack of fluid Empty Re: lack of fluid

Post  sailingmuffin Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:24 am

Hi,

yes, missing meals is a major migraine trigger for me. So is dehydration- but that effects the fainting issue more than migraines. Missing meals is a huge trigger for me-guaranteed migraine. My college roomate used to say that I "had a four year old stomach" because I had to have something for breakfast, lunch, and dinner- on a pretty set schedule.

Part of this may be genetic. My father had migraines in his teens. He always wants to know what "we are going to do about supper." he usually asks this right after lunch and it drives Mom crazy. My brothers are the same way. we were on vacation once and had been out all day. It was about 63O when we got back to the rental house. By the time we were ready for dinner- everyone was so cranky and snappy that it looked as if WWIII was about to break out. We calmed down as soon as we ate. Oh boy, I'm rambling. Sorry.

So yes- major migraine trigger.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Swisslady Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:15 am

Drinking regularly is in fact very important for me, too. That's why I always take a little bottle with thinned fruitjuice or tea with me. Serves for taking pills immediately, too, when needed. In my handbag you can always find a piece of chocolate as well.
Sailingmuffin: I loved your rambling. Pleasurable way to pick up some more English.
Best wishes to all of you!
Swisslady
Swisslady

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:51 am

Food isn't as much of an issue as fluid is. I had one ER doc (who was going to "cure"me when all the neuros haven't been able too) tell me to keep water of Gatorade next to me all the time. I try to and it does seem to help a little.

Kudos for you for doing the museum!
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:53 am

I am so sorry Dawn that you were caught like this, and unable to stop for refresments.
Yes, unfortunately with migraine, dehydration is a serious trigger.

I find that I am allright not eating for hours, but I need to sip water all through the day in order to avoid migraines so I now always carry a supply of water in my car, and a little bottle in my handbag.

With any physical effort (like walking in the museaum or shops) I need to drink more often.
It is terribly inconvenient to have to carry the water as it gets very heavy, but this is another restriction that migraine puts on us.
BTW what museum did you go to ?
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  stephgood Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:14 am

Yes, I agree with probably all of you!!! before I ever even had migraines, I would get cranky when Iwent without food for too long. Now I can actually get a migraine from not eating for too long.
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:21 pm

I get very hypoglycemic if I go without eating. That produces the same cognitive slowness and mental troubles as migraine, although usually not the headache. I can't tell that fluid intake triggers migraine in me, although my neighbor swears that if you drink 20 glasses of water a day you won't get a migraine. I think that if I did this, I also wouldn't make it out if the bathroom all day, so I haven't tried his approach.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

lack of fluid Empty museum

Post  dawn.binks Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:33 am

it was the ipswich museum

i took water with me and popped into the loos to have a sip as they said it was discouraged in the museum but they should have a rm for you!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Post  annabella Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:49 am

Hi Dawn,

Ipswich Australia? I agree with the other posters on the topic. Lack of fluids, hunger, too hot, too cold, too tired, and anxiety over a few days will all trigger migraines with me. Along with some food triggers, like dark chocolate and oranges etc......................

Surely not catering for people who need fluids is a public health issue? You are right to complain to the museum.

flower
annabella
annabella

Back to top Go down

lack of fluid Empty where in world

Post  dawn.binks Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:33 pm

ipswich suffolk england!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Post  lissy Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:01 am

I carry a little ziplock bag of nuts and water bottle everywhere with me. I'm sure some people at work think I'm weird bringing a water bottle with me for just an hour meeting but getting dehydrated is a migraine trigger I can attempt to rule out by drinking lots.
lissy
lissy

Back to top Go down

Post  lizholmesod Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:36 am

I'm with Lissy on this one - I always have oatcakes or a cereal bar, plus a big bottle of water with me - no pretty dainty handbags for me!

I drink 2-3 litres of water a day, and follow a pretty strict regime of carby meals every 4 hours, and never longer than 12 hours overnight. No lithe and skinny body either!

Dehydration and low blood sugar are MASSIVE triggers for me, so I forgo the skinny jeans and tiny handbag for less migraine days!

LHx

lizholmesod

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:28 am

Dehydration is my A #1 trigger.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content