migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has Seroquel XR helped anyone else's migraines?

4 posters

Go down

Has Seroquel XR helped anyone else's migraines? Empty Has Seroquel XR helped anyone else's migraines?

Post  Starkravingmad Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:37 am

Hi all!

I am new to the forum. I am a 39 yr old female migraineur who also suffers from grand mal seizures. Luckily, I have not had a seizure since April, so they are now deemed as "controlled" for the first time since I developed them out of the blue about 10 years ago. I have suffered from the migraine headaches for over 20 yrs. I have been round and round with various docs in the different states I have lived in over the years, and tried many different preventative and abortive drugs depending upon the whim of the neuro I happened to be seeing at the time. I can say with absolute confidence that not one of those neuros has made me "well."

During the past two years of my life, I "remet" and married a wonderful man I had known when we were both teenagers. This was a second marriage for both of us, and we knew we had some different obstacles to navigate due to that, not to mention my health. I became an instant mommy with the marriage as well because my husband had 2 older teenage children as well as a 3 yr old from his first marriage. The oldest teenager opted to live with her mom in a different state, whereas the 16 yr old son and the 3 yr old little girl moved in with us. I was an insta-mom and suddenly I really didn't know how to handle my migraines. It wasn't very responsible of me to medicate with narcotics and knock myself out when I had a little girl to watch now. For the first time, I was thankful I was never able to have my own kids.

Long story short, my migraines have been a struggle throughout our marriage. I have also had problems with severe depression, and last week I went in to see my psychiatrist for a med check. I have what is known as refractory, or "treatment resistant" depression. Unfortunately due to my seizure history, it does make treatment options for me more limited than the average person since most of the meds that help refractory depression also substantially lower the seizure threshold. Nonetheless, he found one that he thought would really help... Seroquel XR. I have noticed no bad side effects from it other than now I actually sleep through the night. (Even though it is an extended release med, it does seem to make me really sleepy after I first take it). I used to have bad insomnia so this is a major plus for me. Even better than that? For three days in a row (every morning that I have awakened since I have been on it) I have awakened pain free WITH NO MIGRAINE!!! I don't know if this is a coincidence or if it is related to the drug. It is too soon to tell but I am excited. Now, SeroquelXR is classified as an antipsychotic medication, but I am taking a very low dose of 150mg 1Xday. As I said before, I already feel mentally much better and the migraines have been gone since I started the med as well. I know this feeling can't last forever, but it really makes you cherish the moments when it happens.

I hope the info about the SeroquelXR 150 mg helps someone with their migraines. It is worth a shot when you get to that place where NOTHING is helping. I have been there, and I hope to never be there again. Cool

***K.S.

Starkravingmad

Back to top Go down

Has Seroquel XR helped anyone else's migraines? Empty seroquol

Post  rileyoday Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:43 am

Three days in a row . Not a bad start. I can understand why you seem excited. I hope its six days by now. good luck to you.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Has Seroquel XR helped anyone else's migraines? Empty Re: Has Seroquel XR helped anyone else's migraines?

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:21 pm

haven't heard Effexor is an anti-psychotic before, rather an MRUI.

Back to top Go down

Has Seroquel XR helped anyone else's migraines? Empty Re: Has Seroquel XR helped anyone else's migraines?

Post  Rachel328 Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:42 am

How are you feeling today? I would be very interested to hear. I am considering asking my doctor for this, as I am currently on Cymbalta for headaches now & it is considered an anti-psychotic. This would be a great addition... it's intended to be a supplement to a first anti-psychotic med.

Rachel328

Back to top Go down

Post  cupatea Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:37 pm

I was on seroquel for a few months a while ago.
I also have extremely bad insomnia, and was put on it for the anti-depressant qualities as well as the sleep help. It REALLY helped me sleep through the night.
I didn't notice a difference with my migraines, but then again I was on 50mg.

I stopped it due to the weight gain. My hunger just seemed insatiable!!

Best of luck to you! That's great if it helps with the migraines!

T
cupatea
cupatea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down