migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My SIL's visa

3 posters

Go down

My SIL's visa Empty My SIL's visa

Post  VickiG Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:20 pm

I don't even know whether I told you that my sister-in-law was granted a visa to come visit the U.S.! She had been turned down before on the grounds that she might stay here illegally. If she had applied for a green card, they would have had to give it to her because she's married to a U.S. citizen. But because she doesn't want to live in the U.S., she applied for a tourist visa. Not only is a green card several times as expensive, but once you get it, you have to live in the U.S. at least six months out of the year, and they really don't want to do that. My brother would have to spend a lot more time working to support them.

Once Andrew got his permanent visa for Brazil, we had her try again because that took away the strength of their argument. They claimed that if he was denied his visa, she could just use her tourist visa to come to the U.S. and stay. But since he got his visa, that was no longer an issue.

Plus, my dad contacted our U.S. Representative and asked them if they would help us. Javier Becerra, the first Latino to chair the House Ways and Means Committee (I learned that watching Jeopardy!), perhaps the most powerful committee in the House, was really supportive and wrote a nice letter saying that our family is upstanding and has no criminal background and that he trusts us to send Marina back to Brazil. It worked!

So January 4 they will arrive, and they will go back February 1. Almost a whole month!

And here's something impressive. My parents actually got a phone message from Becerra's aide asking how Marina's interview went! They asked my dad to call back and rejoiced with us that she will be coming! Isn't that great news? I'm so excited!

Details on planning for our month together will follow as we make the plans!
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

My SIL's visa Empty Re: My SIL's visa

Post  Anna's Mom Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:41 pm

That is great, Vicki!

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:29 pm

First, yes this IS great and I am very happy for your S-i-L and the entire family,
and also I am impressed that
Mr. Becerra has personally telephoned you asking how the interview went!
How nice of him.

You guys will have the best of times!!!

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down