migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Difficultys getting drigs

+2
ShelliB
Charlene
6 posters

Go down

Difficultys getting drigs Empty Difficultys getting drigs

Post  Charlene Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:21 pm

I fought with my doctor about changong pain pills.No is all I get.I take Fioricet.doesn't work .Everytimr i ask for something ,he tells me they have to be so careful because the drug pepole are watching so closely.I'm 71 and migrainer since I was 10.I;ve doctored with this same doctor foe 30 years.He knows I don't abuse drugs,but he won;t budge.Small town too.My daughter s doctor does the same to her.Won't give her refills on hers.She has to go once a month to get a new script.Neither of us can take any of the triptans.Any one else having this problem.Is the DEA really cracking down this hard? Happy to hear your feedback.
Charlene

Charlene

Back to top Go down

Difficultys getting drigs Empty Re: Difficultys getting drigs

Post  ShelliB Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:32 pm

Yes the DEA is cracking down that hard on doctors. It makes it very hard for doctors to prescribe any opiate based meds. My doctor refuses to prescribe any at all. They sometimes will allow me to have an injection of demerol at the ER...but that is rare and only last resort. I'm sorry you can not take any triptans...that really is all I can get. I don't know how I'd manage with it them.

Don't blame your doctor....the blame lies with all the people who abuse pain meds and the media that spreads all those abuse stories far and wide.
ShelliB
ShelliB

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:40 pm

Yeah, that's unfortunate how he doesn't understand you simply need a better pain management
and he needs to put your well being before his own fear of being scrutinized for Rx-ing better pain relief.

Maybe it would help if you prepare a list for your next visit and argue your case point by point?
You may mention
~ how you have been a loyal, responsible LONGTIME patient
~ you don't doctor- hop
~ you don't pharmacy -hop
~ you've never been (?) on any other narcotic (?) pain relief before

Point out also
~ how at your age it is unlikely you don't know what you are doing,
~ how certainly you deserve DECENT relief at last. At last!!!
~ both of you will monitor the use of medication.

As for the triptans, indeed they are contraindicated in patients over 65 y.o,
so all the more reason to give you better pain relief.

If that doesn't convince him, perhaps it would be better to ask for a referral to another doctor, a neuro perhaps?

As for the refill, I have to do them in person too, especially for narcotic pain medication so I guess is not unusual.

How is he doing in regards to preventative medication, are you taking anything to try
and stop M from happening at all?

Risa

CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:54 pm

I dont know where you live Charlene, but it doesnt sound good.
We get a lot of mis understandings over our National Health Service, but I dont think we do any worse than you are.

Must be really hard for you.
In England, despite the warnings on Triptans, most doctors take each case as individual.

It is really only because there are not enough studies done on over 65s.
Not because anything has actually happened.

We have Dianne on here who is the same age and she takes them almost daily.
Perhaps he could re consider, if you wanted to try again. Have you really had them all?
I take Frova and it is much easier to tolerate...

I figure live to be 100 in dreadful pain...which is not living.
I hope you can get somewhere.

Pen
Or knock a few years off but perhaps have some life quality...

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:44 am

I think some of the problem is doctor paranoia and a lack of understanding of pain management. Over the years, my doctor has been generous with my pain meds, but she always takes about what is appropriate for my condition.

So if your doctor will not treat your condition appropriately, I would be looking for another doctor. And leaving you in pain is not appropriate care. He simply covering his own ass at your expense.

This is a real hot button issue with me! Mad
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Difficultys getting drigs Empty Rest of the story on drugs

Post  Charlene Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:11 pm

I live in rural Missouri,south of Kansas City.My problem is no doctors here.Its a small town with six docs.Our local hospital owns them all.I mean all of them work for the hospital lock ,stock and barrel.Its about 70 miles to the city.Don' drive up there anymore. Thanks for the responce from all of you.Happy Thanksgiving and may we all be migrain free for one day.
Charlene

Charlene

Back to top Go down

Post  alexmax021 Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:55 pm

CluelessKitty wrote:Yeah, that's unfortunate how he doesn't understand you simply need a better pain management
and he needs to put your well being before his own fear of being scrutinized for Rx-ing better pain relief.

Maybe it would help if you prepare a list for your next visit and argue your case point by point?
You may mention
~ how you have been a loyal, responsible LONGTIME patient
~ you don't doctor- hop
~ you don't pharmacy -hop
~ you've never been (?) on any other narcotic (?) pain relief before

Point out also
~ how at your age it is unlikely you don't know what you are doing,
~ how certainly you deserve DECENT relief at last. At last!!!
~ both of you will monitor the use of medication.

As for the triptans, indeed they are contraindicated in patients over 65 y.o,
so all the more reason to give you better pain relief.

If that doesn't convince him, perhaps it would be better to ask for a referral to another doctor, a neuro perhaps?

As for the refill, I have to do them in person too, especially for narcotic pain medication so I guess is not unusual.

How is he doing in regards to preventative medication, are you taking anything to try
and stop M from happening at all?

Risa

Thanks for sharing.

alexmax021

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum