migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

placebos-?!

5 posters

Go down

placebos-?! Empty placebos-?!

Post  dawn.binks Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:38 pm

why do placebos work so well?
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

placebos-?! Empty Re: placebos-?!

Post  lrobb98 Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Several reasons...1. Psychological..we want things to work, and if it is presented in a certain way, we trust and believe...2. Physiological..a # of things happen with pain placebos, one of which is a "rush" of internal opioids into the 4th ventricle of the brain, simulating the same situation as if someone took an opioid. Other physiological events happen as well. In headache studies, the placebo response rate varies between 20% and 40% of people. However, in general the placebo response wanes over time and becomes ineffective. Larry Robbins,M.D. http://www.headachedrugs.com

lrobb98

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:17 am

I very much realize that I am influenced by my pysche when it comes to pain control.

I don't know if it's because I'm a product of the seventies and was somewhat involved in the drug culture, or if it's because even when I was a pre-teen and teen I had such severe menstrual cramps and mittleschmirtz that I was prescribed codeine. But, if I don't feel a pain medicine work, then it's very seldom it will work.

I don't mean that I have to feel high, that very seldom happens. But, I know when the meds kick in.

I have my best success with a non narcotic if I take it and then get distracted by something, ie a problem at work. Unfortunately when I have a M, it's very seldom I get distracted from the pain.

It stinks, and I wish I wasn't that way. There is such a stigma to narcotics
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:12 am

I am very susceptible to the placebo effect.

When I was first introduced to Maxalt- MLT, I was convinced it wouldn't work at all. After all, nothing else did. Maxalt worked the first time I tried it and has continued to. I know the placebo effect wasn't a factor in the effectiveness of Maxalt, since I was positive it wouldn't work. To me, that's the true test of the effectiveness of a drug - it works in spite of what I believe.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

placebos-?! Empty thanks, dr. r.

Post  dcook60 Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:27 pm

i'm one of the 60-80% in which placebos have zero possibility of working. i'm also very non-suggestible, (as in being succeptible to being hypnotized). i think there's likely a strong connection.

gosh, i do wish it were as simple as "believing and it shall be so"! dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum