migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Grandpa's painting

5 posters

Go down

My Grandpa's painting Empty My Grandpa's painting

Post  marion Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:38 pm

My Grandpa had a painting. A beautiful oil painting of a sailing ship which he bought at the end of WW2. It hung on his wall and then just my grans for over 50 years with not a mark.

Unfortunately after Grandpa died my Gran wanted some money - so the sailing ship sailed away about 12 years ago. We know the family it went to and I told them if it was ever up for sale again, please give me first option. (I didn't know till after the deal was done that it was for sale.)

Well, last night there was a message on my phone, do I want it?

Well immediately burst into tears, sobbing tears. Couldn't believe it. Love that painting - it is my Grandpa.

So all this morning we negotiated price, got to an agreement. Great I thought, ship is coming home.

Asked for a photo to show my husband who has only seen the painting a few times nearly twenty years ago - he is after all having his share of our bank account demolished for this painting.

Got the photo by email.

THE FRAME HAS A HUGE CHUNK MISSING.

HOW. HOW CAN THIS HAVE HAPPENED!!!!!?????

GRANDPA'S SHIP IS BROKEN @#$%^$##

HOW CAN PEOPLE BREAK BEAUTIFUL THINGS????

See I'm calm now, the capital letters have gone.

The picture has been emailed to a restorer. We will keep negotiating.

SHIP IS COMING HOME!!!!

marion
marion

Back to top Go down

My Grandpa's painting Empty Re: My Grandpa's painting

Post  Petzi Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:04 pm

My mother has frittered away everything that one could possible hold dear in order to make to make a quick buck. I too bought back a couple of items of sentimental value that really should never have left the family.

Its' upsetting that the frame is damaged, but sometimes a bit of damage just ads to the character and the history of a piece.

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:09 pm

Just received another six photos.

Frame is destroyed. It was the plaster of paris/gold gilt.

Photos of to a restorer for an estimate.

Just cannot understand this. Surely if you see the start of damage, I think from dampness, you would do something?

No doubt though, no matter what it costs Ship is coming home and restored to how he was. Cannot bear that it ends up on a scrap heap.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:42 am

I'm happy that you get to have that small piece of your grandpa back. Remember to see and remember HIM when you look at it and not get angry with the folks who obviously did not value it enough to properly care for it. You want it to make you HAPPY when you see it.

I have most of my folks belongings...I can't dream of parting with them no matter the price. It will be up to my son and DIL to make those decisions when I'm gone. Had I needed the $$ to put my kids through college, I would've sold them in a heartbeat, but only because I know my parents would've wanted that for their grandkids. Very Happy
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  hpilgrim Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:54 pm

Dear Marion-
I know it won't be the same, but you can have it reframed, and easily. You will probably be able to find a frame close to the same style... thank God it's not the painting that's damaged!

My grandparents things were all stolen, while we were away at the hospital when my parents were dying.... so I know how you feel --

I am happy you got the painting back--- maybe you can post a picture of it soon...
Holly
hpilgrim
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

My Grandpa's painting Empty ship

Post  dawn.binks Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:19 am

glad the ship returning home, i know it has been distressing all the restoration but will add to the story to tell future generations about the family heirloom, i know your grandpa would have been vary happy that youre getting restored and it will mean so much more to you all now!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Thanks everyone.

That's sad Holly about your grandparents things. I am not a particularly materialistic person, but there are two or three "things" in the world that count for me. Ship is one. I look at it and see my grandfather - one of the few people in this world who loved me unconditionally.

Can't stop tearing up at the thought that it is coming home.

Sounds like the restorers will be able to re-gilt the frame - and hopefully he will look as good as new.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum