migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arrrrghhh....

5 posters

Go down

Arrrrghhh.... Empty Arrrrghhh....

Post  Petzi Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:50 am

There is an on line article on the Daily Mail's website about the incapacity benefit reshuffle in the UK. There are a couple of comments from readers bitching about migraine sufferers. Basically many DM readers are not taking us serious. Somebody referred to migraine as the latest "must have" condition. Somebody else mentioned something along the lines of get off your lazy bum and get some fresh air ... that will sort you out. A migraine sufferer pointed out how worried he/she is that he/she might not qualify for incapacity benefit anymore after the new system kicks in. The comment got loads of red arrows. I am shocked and disgusted.

I am absolutely livid. It makes me so mad how little sympathy migraine sufferers are getting. These people have no idea what is really going on. Why do we get so little understanding? Some other illnesses literarily get hero worship, ribbons of all colors, t-shirts, etc. There is talk of journeys, bravery, fights and overcoming of adversity. What do we get? We are called hypochondriacs, malingerers and neurotics despite us putting up with unspeakable misery and pain often for decades on end.

Sorry about the rant, but it had to be addressed. Evil or Very Mad

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324035/75-incapacity-claimants-fit-work-Benefits-test-weeds-workshy.html

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Arrrrghhh.... Empty Re: Arrrrghhh....

Post  pen Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:21 am

Petzi, It makes me so mad. I wish these kinds of people could live my life for a week.
They wouldnt be so ignorant and dismissive then.

I did comment on there....did you?

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  lizholmesod Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:30 am

Don't worry too much, it's only the Daily Mail, surely no one takes it seriously!!

LH

lizholmesod

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:43 am

Pen,

Yes, I did comment. I am me, here and I defended the Scottish migraine sufferer who worries about the future of her incapacity benefit. You must be P. from Bedford. Good comment. Much more eloquent than mine. Laughing

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:46 am

LH,

that is so funny. You are right of course. All my friends laugh at me for reading the DM, But I look at it as some sort of perverted guilty pleasure.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:56 am

Actually, despite the scorn poured upon the Daily Mail, it is the biggest seller and the most oft quoted on TV, so I think they do have a huge readership and should be disabused of any false beliefs. Actually they have sometimes published quite supportive things and their dr on there is quite empathetic too. This lot are just punters, but "awareness" I belief needs pushing. We are becoming a trendy dodge for the work shy.

When my husband was still in local government, we spent a friday afternoon checking the sickness records as he smelled the proverbial among a few of his staff. Among those that were Monday/Friday long weekenders. Of which there were I think 5. Two of them apparently had IBS (they did not.) and the other 2 had migraines.....but only on Mondays and Fridays it seems.

This is the kind of thing we are up against if we want to be taken seriously.
My son now defers to me for his staff. He has learned to sniff them out.
But of course it angers him they do this, knowing how I suffer.
Last month they actually had to let a genuine sufferer go because their migraines had become chronic.
The only silver lining was two other malingerers went too.
It's tough isnt it......we have to try though.

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi all,

Very interesting article. In the US, things are slightly different. I am sure there are those who try to get SSDI/SSI without truly needing it. However, the medical docutmentation, appeals process, and other things that must be presented to receive benefits should be able to catch most of them.

Here- you apply, hear a decision in six months, appeal, hire a lawyer, submit most medical records, then attend a hearing. The process before denial takes about six months. If you have to appeal, it takes another year. (I have just been granted SSDI benefits, but it took two years. I hated to do it. I agree, most of us who are sick hate to have to go through the process. It is energy draining in itself.

I think your husband and son are doing the right thing by looking at situations and patterns and understanding that not all disabilitites are visible. I think a person'd physician should have a clear say in what they are able to do. In addition to those who care for them.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Arrrrghhh.... Empty migraine

Post  dawn.binks Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:59 pm

love the bit where someone said that migraine was the latest must have.....so go get one then see what the much coveted excuse to have time off work headache really is like!!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down