migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deep breathing?

+8
HeelerLady
Migrainegirl
dncr4180
mxgo
pen
lentils
estre004
Zekses
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Deep breathing? - Page 2 Empty Re: Deep breathing?

Post  HeelerLady Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:40 am

I think there is something to it. At certain appointments with a pain psych, I would go into a deep state of relaxation. There were a few times I had a level 8 pain, after the technique, pain was 0. Still had the other symptoms but the pain was gone. I do think it had something to do with my breathing. The doc did say that there was something to the oxygen level theory - that adding more O2 to the body through relaxed deep breathing can help with head pain. Interesting....
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 am

Pen - I think Zekses is talking about something else, not relaxation. I think she/he means inhaling real deep and fast through the nose. That is what I do with the Migraine nasal spray and maybe that is why it works so fast for me. On the relaxation part, I went to a tai chi class one night with a migraine coming on. While at class it completely went away but returned after class. Interesting. That was a one time thing and don't know if it work again because I don't take the class anymore. Doing it alone at home isn't the same thing. This new "technique" on breathing that Zekses brought up intrigues me. This is something new on the forum.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Zekses Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:07 am

I think she/he

He lol!
Zekses
Zekses

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:21 am

Hey we don't assume. You know what happens when people assume. lol! Unless you've made it obvious which you are. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Has anyone tried the Yoga pranayama breathing at all?
Supposed to be very good. Not tried it for migraine.

Re Zekses: It would be good if we could have a little "gender" flag on all our profiles.
Cant imagine even those that want to hide their identity mind revealing that.....do they... sunny

Last edited by pen on Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 pm

Well I don't see how this will ever catch on. If they can't patent it and make a fortune off selling it to us it will never get prescribed. (Sorry. Getting a bit cynical. )
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Zekses Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:12 am

Just imagine it, if my method actually works for at least 1/10 th migraine cases this will be the major strike on those bas***ds XD No medications, no surgery, nothing, unless they patent and start selling us air ^^

P.S. Lets see if this can get rid of the second type I'm getting. That being the throbbing one starting from the back of my head instead of behind the eyes.
Zekses
Zekses

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:57 am

I am trying this but getting nowhere.
Not being negative, I want to do this.

I guess I might not be doing it right.

Breath hard in through nose?
Into chest.
Exhale through mouth?

is that right?

I am so used to the diaphragmatic breathing.
What should I be doing with that please?

Sorry if I am being thick.
I have had an awful week and also no sleep (doggie upset tum)
Not very alert...

Embarassed

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Zekses Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:19 am

Breath hard in through nose?
Into chest.

I truly dunno myself what exactly helps here. My opinion is that it does not really matter if you breath into chest. More important is the strength of air current in the nose.
Like I said I do both - deep breathing and strong breathing ... just in case. So far it helps. The result is that instead of pain I get a "paper clipping stuck to the eyebrow" feeling for all the duration of what would probably have been migraine if not averted.

I cannot say for sertain how to do this simply because I kinda "invented" this method just a little more than a week ago and even though it helps me (or at least seems to help) it's not certain it will help others. Personally, I really hope it does but considering wide variety of migraines it's almost certain that it will not help everyone.

Oh, and I don't exhale through mouth at all
Zekses
Zekses

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:26 am

Thanks Zekses,

I will keep trying.
I think my sinus is blocked as it hurts in my eyebrow to breath deep.
Just did some steaming and will try again.

Nice work....

BTW are you actually Russian?
I ask because your English is so good.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Zekses Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:38 am

BTW are you actually Russian?
I ask because your English is so good.

Yep, I live in a small city near Moscow. The school where I studied specialized in English language - we had 6+ hours a week of it. I was not a very good pupil(skipping at least 1/3 of lessons because of migraines - either they were stronger then or I my body managed to adjust pain sensitivity a little since thoe times) but it seems that even I managed to learn it somewhat well. I'm not so good with present/past/perfect tenses but I generally have no problem making myself understandable Laughing
Zekses
Zekses

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:55 am

You are doing really well, trust me Smile
I am always impressed how much better "foreign! people do learning English,
then we do with any of theirs.

I have a friend in Denmark whose English is brilliant.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:16 am

Zekes - more of the language stuck than you know. I wouldn't have even guessed that you were from a non-English speaking country. When I was in grad school, my area was mainly international students and their speaking English depended on how much they did it, some made it a point to speak in English as much as possible (they sometimes had to revert for complicated issues that they didn't understand) and they were the easiest to understand. Those that couldn't speak it well, still could write it.

I did wonder about this. I was having a dickens of time for a while with my migraine pattern. Then I got a cold and they stopped. It was a rather unpleasant being all up in my sinuses. Wonder if it's the same concept?
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:28 am

I did wonder about this. I was having a dickens of time for a while with my migraine pattern. Then I got a cold and they stopped. It was a rather unpleasant being all up in my sinuses. Wonder if it's the same concept?

For me the cold/bug I got Sept 18 which messed up my sinuses gave me more migraine.
I have had more pain since then than I can cope with.
13 Triptans this month. Need one today but trying not to.

But the pain in my left eyebrow is linking with my jaw pain.
Not sure it is migraine, but it hurts as bad.
Steamed, used saline, but the pain is excruciating.
Not sure I am breathing at all, just crying.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:04 am

Hi All,

The whole deep breathing/ oxygen thing is interesting. I know that in the ER once a neurology resident had me hooked up to oxygen, which really helped then. I also tried it at home years ago, but it didn't work as well.

About a month ago, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and now use CPAP at night. It hasn't helped the headaches as much. However, it has made a tremendous difference in fainting. A few times, during a really bad migraine, I have also used the CPAP and it seemed to help.

Maybe there is something in the brain or with contracting blood vessels that could reduce O2 flow to the brain during attacks? I don't know, but glad it it helps.

Zekkes- your english is really quite good. Welcome to the board!/

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Deep breathing? - Page 2 Empty oxygen

Post  dawn.binks Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:11 am

there is oxygen therapy for migraines which can work but at a migraine conference on saturday they were saying theyre having very good results with carbon dioxide too.
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:38 am

Really Dawn? So the hyperventilation paper bag thing might work??

Pen
Or we could try plastic bags.....no more migraines... affraid lol!

pen

Back to top Go down

Deep breathing? - Page 2 Empty carbon dioxide

Post  lentils Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:08 pm

What were they doing with carbon dioxide? Do you have any links?

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:12 pm

She went to a Migraine action education day. I imagine she will have to impart what they said when she comes on here.
I will ask her to elucidate lentils.

pen

Back to top Go down

Deep breathing? - Page 2 Empty Carbon dioxide

Post  lentils Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:28 pm

thanks Pen

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:24 pm

Welcome. I have asked, so watch this space.... Very Happy

pen

Back to top Go down

Deep breathing? - Page 2 Empty oxygen

Post  dawn.binks Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:02 pm

dont get your hopes up everyone as the same with everything else discussed at the conference it is a long was off( except for the levadex) . also the carbon dioxide tx is not for chronic migs, it was being tested on those with migs 2-8 every 3 months!!!! dont know why guess it must be to do with the frequency wed have to be taking it. what was more interesting was the magnets. dont know if you do all know about this so sorry if this is old ground but they found that when someone had been in an mri scanner it got rid of a migraine then those pts who slept with their head by a strong magnet woke without pain so thats being followed up and trialed. i guess the magnets would be needed a lot stronger than in a magnetic bracelet, but has anyone tried one of those magnetic bracelets you can buy from a chemist??
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Deep breathing? - Page 2 Empty trial

Post  dawn.binks Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:06 pm

there was also an electrical impulse pad you put on your forearm. it has an anode and cathode, but it has to be put on when you feel an attack coming on and is very fiddly to put on but is in trial anyway. guess youll hear your side of the pond first! wonder with the economic climate it will slow research down as well as the cut backs on meds and consultant appointments??!!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Deep breathing? - Page 2 Empty trial

Post  dawn.binks Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:08 pm

there was also an electrical impulse pad you put on your forearm. it has an anode and cathode, but it has to be put on when you feel an attack coming on and is very fiddly to put on but is in trial anyway. guess youll hear your side of the pond first! wonder with the economic climate it will slow research down as well as the cut backs on meds and consultant appointments??!!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:39 am

My son's neuro actually told us to try magnets...but I think he was partly frustrated that nothing he tried had worked and just threw that idea out.

I like the idea of putting it by where you sleep though. I was trying to tape magnets onto his forehead, neck etc. which 1) he hated me doing and 2) is REALLY hard to do when you are using strong strong magnets!!

You would not believe how they can stick together and not be able to be pulled apart no matter what. I had to ask my husband to pull these tiny little magnets apart more than once - they are incredibly strong!! I ordered them from a magnet place online, and you could get all sorts of sizes, strengths, etc. Also you had to be sure a certain side of the magnet (can't remember if it was the north or south side) is against the skin - but it's easy to tell that (just hard to not let them stick to each other in the process). I even tried putting some on a pillow, but by morning they attract to each other and are stuck together again. Maybe they are too strong LOL. I didn't want to bother with magnets that barely had any power. Some are marketed for migraine and therefore cost much more than they really should cost.

But for the one or two times that I had some surgical tape and taped them to his head, he didn't get any relief from it. :-(

I have seen pillow pads that are covered with magnets for sale - but they are expensive. I've also seen mattress pads covered with magnets. If I had unlimited money, I'd be tempted to try them.

For now, my son has pnuemonia and is feeling very miserable all over, so we're just trying to get his lungs cleared out before we start any new migraine medicine.
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next