migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone tried Treximet?

+2
lesherb
AuntieBubbs
6 posters

Go down

Anyone tried Treximet? Empty Anyone tried Treximet?

Post  AuntieBubbs Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:52 pm

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried Treximet, the newest triptan to come out. It's not very new, I think it's been out at least a year, probably closer to two. As far as I know, it blends sumatriptan (the main triptan in Imitrex) and naproxen (which is the main anti-infammatory painkiller in Aleve, an OTC NSAID). I was hoping this would be a good possibility for me, since I take Imitrex and it works well for me, and I always take Imitrex with 2 or 3 ibuprofen.

My initial reaction to the Treximet is that is does work quickly on the migraine, but that it doesn't help long-term. In other words, my migraines come back, and and they are usually worse when they do. At first I thought I was getting rebound, but now I'm not sure. I think its the same migraine, just worse. Not 100% sure either way though.

Would love to hear from anyone else who has tried this abortive. Thanks!
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Anyone tried Treximet? Empty Re: Anyone tried Treximet?

Post  lesherb Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:29 am

I use it. I was completely surprised that it worked because I am cynical. I just figured GlaxoSmithKline was trying to pull a fast one in order to keep a money maker after Imitrex went generic.

It does work very quickly. If I had to point to a number, I'd say I get at least 6 hours relief from it. Of course everyone is different.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:31 am

How quickly is quickly please Leslie?

I get at least 12 hours, normally from Frova, but they are s-l-o-w!!

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Thanks, Leslie. I agree, I think it works quickly too (within an hour). But my problem is that it doesn't last longer than about 4 to 6 hours before the m is back, and usually worse than it was. Have you experienced that?

I initiallythought that too, about GSK pulling a fast one Very Happy
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Anyone tried Treximet? Empty anyone tried treximet?

Post  dailyha-rose Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:26 pm

hi,

i think my neuro. and my pharmacist both told me that gsk was trying to get back some money by combining imitrex and naproxen because of generic issues. i was told i could just use the two separately at the same time instead of paying for the newer med. can't use imitrex anymore as my chest feels tight and relpax never works unless you take one with naproxen and a second dose of relpax 2hrs later.

wish there was a newer triptan i could try but think i have done them all (last was amerge before relpax).

good luck

rose

dailyha-rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawn Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:03 am

I had the same thing happen. I was so happy to have found something that worked, but it was only a temporary fix for a few hours and then it came back worse than it was before.

It really is a devastating let down when you get your hopes up so high isn't it? All I can say is don't give up hope and keep trying.

Best of luck...that's really all it is. The luck of the draw, and unfortunately some of us including myself are very, very, unlucky.

Keep hanging in there

Very Happy Dawn
Dawn
Dawn

http://www.greenourliving.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks, Dawn. I am hoping its just a matter of my body getting used to the treximet, like it had to with other triptans. We'll see, I guess. Kind of sucks because I tolerate the imitrex very well. Aleve has never worked well for me, but ibuprofen has. Go figure. So maybe its the naproxen in the treximet that is thowing me out of wack. I hate that the migraine just bounces back, and after about 6 hours. That's not very long! I've been having to use more rescue medication that usual, and even yesterday took 2 doses of treximet: one at about 10am, another at about 5pm, and then a rescue at around 10pm, just to be able to go to sleep without being in too much pain. Ridiculous. I also had to call the dr. for an emergency scrip of my rescue med becuase I used more of it than I normally do, and I hate to do that, it makes me feel like a drug seeker Sad

Here's hoping that the treximet will become more tolerable. Its "free" because of the assistance program, so I really want it to work!
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:44 pm

It's about a 50-50 chance that I'll start migraining again once the Treximet wears off.

I've tried Naprosyn (Aleve) with Imitrex (100 mg) but it just didn't work as well as Treximent even though Treximet only has 80 mgs of Imitrex in it (I think).

I take my rescue meds with the Treximet so maybe that's why I'm having a different result.

lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:21 pm

Bubbs- did you get the 'stat dose' needle less injections? I was given an RX and the coupon, but my insurance still wants to charges me $470 for 4 doses, so I just use generic imitrex needle injections.

The program and the devise seemed really cool, but the cost for me... affraid

My neuro also has me taking aleve, at the 500mg dose along with 900 mg of neurotin to kick the migraine to the curb.

Also, sorry, I've forgotten your name, but whomever was asking about frova vs imitrex... frova is designed to kick in slower, and stay with you longer, so if you're having long episodes, and can wait for the meds, it's a good choice.

Imitrex is designed to kick in strong, but your body metabolizes it quicker, making it the better choice for episodes that hit hard, and can be KO'ed with one big blast of a triptan.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:12 pm

Sara, no, sorry, I don't know what you mean. Treximet comes in tablets, I'm not aware of any injection form for Treximet.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down