migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

any tips for rebound headaches?

+3
Kate
Migrainegirl
dncr4180
7 posters

Go down

any tips for rebound headaches? Empty any tips for rebound headaches?

Post  dncr4180 Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:49 pm

I suffer from chronic migraines, and due to overuse of triptans, I am suffering from terrible rebound headaches.

I spent Tuesday morrning in the ER, and this headache keeps coming back. I have stopped the triptans and have been resorting to otc antiinflamitories & pain relievers. The past two days I've been on prednisone and clonidine but have found little relief.

Is there anything that I can do/take to get through this withdrawl/rebound headache. I feel like it will never end!

dncr4180
dncr4180

Back to top Go down

any tips for rebound headaches? Empty Re: any tips for rebound headaches?

Post  Migrainegirl Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:22 pm

I still have to wonder about the rebound idea. When you are getting them every day who is to say what is a rebound? I think this is another idea concocted by people who don't have migraines. My doctor told me no pain meeds at all more than 3 days per week to avoid rebounds. All that meant was that I was miserable 1/2 the time.

Anyway the only non med relief I ever found was an ice pack on the back of the head and a cool damp washcloth on the forehead. They work surprisingly well. But of course that is when lying down in a dark room. You certainly can't work or be functional like that or with a migraine either.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  dncr4180 Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:06 am

I've read that rebounds can sometimes last for weeks. I am willing to try anything to get rid of this neverending headache.

Has anyone heard of seratonin syndrome?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/serotonin-syndrome/DS00860/DSECTION=causes

I am concerned now after reading this because I take 150 mg zoloft, and never knew that there is a potentially bad interaction between antidepressants and migraine meds.

dncr4180
dncr4180

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:48 pm

The only thing that helped me was to go cold turkey. Everytime I took another pain reliever, it just made it worse.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:04 pm

As far as the seratonin goes, it amazes me that doctors prescribe something that will change the seratonin level but never monitor the level with a blood test. I had mine checked by a chirpractor who was going to put me on 5-htp, which also alters seratonin, and it was at the very top of the normal limits. That was about 10-12 years ago. I recently had another doctor check it and it was still up there, just below the high limit. In the meantime, I had neuros put me on 3 SSRI antidepressants which made them worse. When I asked them about checking the seratonin level, both insulted me and one asked where I got my MD degree. But it can be monitored.

One thing that's a life saver for me is Phenergen. It at least stops the throwing up and lets me relax a little. I haven't found a preventative to work. I've said before I went off everything for two months and still had a mig every day and they still said rebound. Do they really know?

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:32 pm

LOL, A lot of Drs are so arrogant and they don`t like to be challenged by the "little people." Yet, so many of them know so little.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  dncr4180 Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:25 pm

Kate wrote:LOL, A lot of Drs are so arrogant and they don`t like to be challenged by the "little people." Yet, so many of them know so little.

I definitely agree that doctors a lot of the time don't know what they are doing and it is so frustrating b/c we rely on them for our health. My dad says "that's why they call it practicing medicine"

Sometimes I feel as if I could treat myself better than what my neurologist is helping me with. Even trying to get him or his staff to call me back is like pulling teeth... I am thinking I need to switch docors.
dncr4180
dncr4180

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:09 am

It is amazing how condescending so many doctors can be. Particularly with women. They are actually taught in med school that over 10% of women are hypochondriacs. So if they don't know what you have or how to fix it the assumption is it is all in your head (no pun intended). When I get one of those doctors I dont go back. Who has time for that BS?
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  dncr4180 Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:11 am

I have no signs of relief from this headache. You are right that taking the pain meds only make it worse... but if you have a 15 month oold to care for and a SO who does not understand, I need to be able to get some relief somehow.

I even tried acupuncture yesterday, which gave me temporary relief, but the headache comes back over and over. Now I am just taking tylenol & ibuprophen to get through the day, and it is painful.

I missed a week of work and scared I am going to lose my job. I calll my neurologist and all he does is prescribe more pain meds.

I am at a loss of what else to try at this point.
dncr4180
dncr4180

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:28 am

Taking tylenol and ibuprophen everyday will make your rebound worse.

Kate

Back to top Go down

any tips for rebound headaches? Empty withdrawal

Post  dawn.binks Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:52 am

i went thru the withdrawal and took nothing for 3 months, it was the haredest and best thing ive ever done for migraines! good luck!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:46 pm

I would cut out Ibuprofen and tylenol, and increase the Triptans if you have enough.
My neuro told me to cut back the OTC and take 12 Triptans.
He said "Take them all, instead of the OTC. Take the whole 12 if you need them".
I am now allowed 18, but have never taken more than the 12 and do not have rebound.

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  dncr4180 Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:33 pm

The triptans are no longer effective and the headache keeps coming back....

Would any of you advise on taking anything for nausea, or just cut everything? I feel like I am in detox with no help and no end in sight!
dncr4180
dncr4180

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:38 pm

I`m sorry that you are having to deal with rebound hell. It will enventually end but it`s definitly hell when going through it.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Ah okay, sorry its just that when i cut the OTC the Triptans (chance to Frova) started to work again.
Sorry

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:20 pm

The nausea - try getting a script for phenergan or compazine. Those will usually knock it out. Otherwise, ginger. Ginger ale, ginger candies....they can help settle the stomach.

Sorry you're having to go through this. Sad
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

any tips for rebound headaches? Empty Update on the rebound headache

Post  dncr4180 Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:27 am

I quit all pain meds Sunday, and I am happy to report that I am finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I actually woke up this morning without a splitting headache for the first time in months!

Hopeful and continuing with the 1-2-3 program over here!
dncr4180
dncr4180

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:25 am

I am so glad you feel better, but if you did this in 3 days, then from what I am told you have another 7 and half weeks to go.....THAT they tell us is how long it takes to get out of MOH. Absolutely no pain med for 2 months.
It doesnt sound like it is MOH based on that, but others may disagree.

I just hope you manage to wake up without one again tomorrow.
I know what a difference that makes, although I seldom do it these days, and that's without MOH>

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  dncr4180 Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:20 am

I wouldn't say it took 3 days, but weeks... week 1 was stopping the triptans, but I was still taking the narcotic-type drugs. Then week 2 was getting of the narcotics, but I was still taking OTC Nsaids. I finally just cut those out as of Sunday.

I am also hoping that I will be free of this headache as well.
dncr4180
dncr4180

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:48 am

Ah, sorry misunderstood. So you are well on the way to your 2 months then.
Very few of us on here have benefited long term from kicking the medication.
Sounds like you might be one who does.
Hope so.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down