migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hormone migraine

+5
Dawn
Almostangela
Brenda
Sara79
Kate
9 posters

Go down

Hormone migraine Empty Hormone migraine

Post  Kate Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:09 am

Anybody find anything that successfully helps with hormone migraines? Every freakin month I can always count on these at least for a week or so. I`m so over them...

I miss those days were I just had a headache and took something and would be done with it. Now it`s just obnoxious!

Kate

Back to top Go down

Hormone migraine Empty Re: Hormone migraine

Post  Sara79 Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:25 am

I know that some people get extra triptans (usually Frova) and take it right before they know they're supposed to start getting the menstrual migraine. I'm not regular enough to predict.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:57 am

Unfortunately, the only thing I've found to help those at all are narcotic pain killers. Even then, they dull it, but don't take it away.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:13 am

I've been studying this and I've read, and have a friend that has success with progesterone suppliments. It seems the estrogen is the problem. I can't get a doctor to take me seriously on progesterone creams, and one Gyno put me on Yasmin pill non stop and it made things worse. (yasmin has estrogin).

The idea is to regulate the amount of progesterone via a cream, by yourself, but you have to find a doctor who beleives this also to work with you. Someone who specializes in menopause would be a good start.

I can't get into see that kind of specialitist, but I did find a doctor who is listening better and has given me the minipill to try (Micronor) which is progesterone only. I will know in about a month if it is working, but the wedsites I have read make mention of migraines reduction.

Two things though - you have to take the mini pill on time every day or you risk pregnancy, and it doesn't regulate your cycle.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 am

Almost, Let me know how the progestrone pill works for you. I`ve been wondering if it would work for me. My Dr had put me on Yaz and I don`t get why they don`t understand that people get headaches this time of the month because of to much estrogen, Dah.... I just don`t get why they don`t know this simple problem.

When you say that it doesn`t regulate your cycle does that mean it can come at any time it wants?

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:50 am

From what I am told and read, it doesn't regulate your period, so if you are not regular to start with (and I am not), you will no longer be regular again. If you are a regular person, then no problem.

I'll keep you posted with my progress.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawn Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:07 am

Unfortunately I got talked into getting a full hysterectomy at age 27for my "menstrual migraines." That only seemed to make the M more intense and more frequent. I do have a question...

I am on Estradiol 2 mg. Does that have progesterone in it? I have noticed that when they increased my doses I would have milder migraines for about a month and then the pain would get worse again!

I was told that they would not go any higher on the Estradiol, but never considered asking about progesterone...I am wondering if going on a progesterone supplement would decrease the intensity and frequency of my migraines. Any ideas?

Thanks, Dawn
Dawn
Dawn

http://www.greenourliving.com

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:16 am

I used to get menstral migraines. Progestrone did not work at all. In fact, nothing much helped. Now that I have gone through menopause, I get migrianes weekly instead of monthly. So, don't get your hopes up too high.
Fortunately, I can successfully abort my migraines now, thanks to my GP (not my neuro).

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Dawn wrote:
I am on Estradiol 2 mg. Does that have progesterone in it? I have noticed that when they increased my doses I would have milder migraines for about a month and then the pain would get worse again!

I was told that they would not go any higher on the Estradiol, but never considered asking about progesterone...I am wondering if going on a progesterone supplement would decrease the intensity and frequency of my migraines. Any ideas?

Thanks, Dawn

Hi Dawn. I am no expert and am in my own experiment stage, but from what I understand, high estrogen is a problem for migraines. From what I read today, I think Estradiol is just an Estrogen suppliment. Being on high estrogen and then adding progesterone might not balance things out. Definately something to ask your doctor about it next time.
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawn Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks Angela...I will bring it up with my doc on next appointment. It's worth asking about it anyway.

Dawn
Dawn
Dawn

http://www.greenourliving.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:35 pm

We will figure this out, Dawn, piece by piece.

http://www.migraines.org/treatment/treather.htm

I found this interesting. It talks about Estridiol, and having a birth control pill with lower dose of estrogen. Some good reading here.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:19 am

Anyone taking hormones needs to read at

Www.migraine-headaches-information.com

Dr Jones really warns against artificial hormones and believes these are actually increasing the rate of migraines in women. He recommends only bio identical progesterone. I have been on this for 4 months now with great results. It can be ordered online and does not require a prescription. www.omega-1000.com is a good source.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:32 am

Migrainegirl, how many mgs do you take per day? Is it a cream or pill?

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:36 am

Migrainegirl, I also forgot to ask, when do you start taking them and when do you stop?

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  dncr4180 Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:53 am

I also get menstral migraines and I dread them each month. I've tried several different types of birth control and found that being off of any hormone type drug gave me the most relief.

I have also tried Frova (a triptan that stays in your system longer than the typical triptan). I founs relief with it, but now am suffering from rebound headaches so you have to be careful.

I've also taken prednisone during the week of my period and that has given me relief.
dncr4180
dncr4180

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:03 am

Are you sure you have rebound from Frova?
Incidence is low. How many have you been taking a month?

I have been on it 5 years and no rebound.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  dncr4180 Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:19 am

pen wrote:Are you sure you have rebound from Frova?
Incidence is low. How many have you been taking a month?

I have been on it 5 years and no rebound.

P

If you add up the use of the fova along with other triptans that I was taking in between my periods...I ended up having headaches daily and relied on the medicine for relief. Now any of the triptans have lost their effectiveness and I am stuck in a rebound headache that has lasted all week with no signs of ending.

I am just saying, be careful how often you use the triptans.
dncr4180
dncr4180

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:45 pm

Hmm. That is a tough one. So have you been taking them every day?
We have Dianne on here who pretty much does that.

They really are the least likely to cause MOH.
But of course we are all different. Not good that they dont work at all now.
I rely on them. Been on them for over 15 years one type or another.
Frova have been the best. Less S/E and still work as well as ever.
And despite what they tell you. I have taken one 9 hours after the migraine started ,and it worked within 2 hours.

Are you taking anything else that could be causing MOH?
Where do you go from here?

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:46 pm

Kate

I am currently taking 150 mg in the morning and 150 mg in the evening of the bio identical progesterone in capsule form. The Dr said to start at 50 mg in am and 50 mg in pm and then increase gradually if you still have some breakthrough headaches. But he says it is perfectly safe at much higher doses.

I should also mention he recommends you only take it for 1/2 your cycle if you are still menstruating and want to be able to gat pregnant. If you are past menopause or just past the age where pregnancy is an issue you can take it every day.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down