migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long acting time release opioids

2 posters

Go down

Long acting time release opioids Empty Long acting time release opioids

Post  Paradox Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:06 pm

I was talking to me neuro today about the success I've been having since his added a time release opioid to my management regime. He said that many Dr's make the mistake of only prescribing the time-release and taking away the fast acting opioids. He said it's important to use them both, that the time release will not take the place of the fast acting.

If you have any questions shoot me a PM.

For those of you who didn't have success with time release, were you also taking fast acting?
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Long acting time release opioids Empty Re: Long acting time release opioids

Post  tortoisegirl Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:58 pm

You could say I'm having "success" with my long acting pain killers and I am taking the short acting too, but it was only 50% relief at its best and lately it's been less than that (its been over a year since starting the long acting, staying at the same dose, and a combo I think of more pain and tolerance). I do agree that the combo of the two is very important, as is not over or under dosing. Even though I'm on Methadone that is known for not having people build tolerance to it, due to my age of 24 and that I've been taking opiates in some form or another for over 4 years, tolerance is a huge issue. I've never had too good of relief with my short acting since taking the long acting (it barely does anything over the long acting dose), and I've tried all of them, literally. We just don't want to go any higher on the doses. I'm curious if my doctor would go any higher on the long acting since I have had other pain conditions diagnosed since I started at this dose. Thanks for sharing! But, don't be surprised if your now success turns into less relief over time because once you've been on opiates for awhile, no matter how high you raise the doses, you never get that kind of pain relief like you do in the beginning (from what I've read and personal experience as I had awesome relief with short acting but now even with the combo of the long and short acting get half that kind of relief). Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down