migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seattle or St Louis?

+2
VickiG
Chairish1976
6 posters

Go down

Seattle or St Louis? Empty Seattle or St Louis?

Post  Chairish1976 Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:39 pm

Just looking for any available feedback from other migraineurs on why or why not relocate to Seattle or St Louis. I'm planning on doing one of the two moves in about a month and would love to know especially how the weather is, air quality, way of life, etc. has helped or hurt the health issues and lifestyle of periodic migraine attacks. Anything you can add would be very appreciated Cool

I'd be adjusting from the lifestyle in Southern California if you're also familiar with that area. I'm leaving primarily because of the cost of living, negative attitudes primarily around Los Angeles, and weather that is too hot for me in the San Fernando Valley and too expensive elsewhere in Cali (like Santa Monica or San Francisco). I also love rain and cloudy days like many others love sunshine. One of my triggers is sunlight or extreme heat, so that's probably a large part of it, but humidity or cold helps more then it triggers attacks for me. I've been to St Louis to visit family, and I am taking a road trip to see Seattle in the next couple weeks.
Chairish1976
Chairish1976

Back to top Go down

Seattle or St Louis? Empty Re: Seattle or St Louis?

Post  VickiG Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:48 pm

Sorry that I can't help you with feedback on your cities of choice. My only comment is that I'd hate to leave Los Angeles myself. But I'm on the Eastside of the city (not East L.A., but Highland Park, which is Northeast L.A.) on the border with Pasadena, and I love living here. I didn't realize we had another Angeleno/a on Ronda's! One other woman lives in Ventura, but not L.A. itself. Even when I lived in Pomona, which is as far east as you can go and still be in L.A. County, I still felt like an Angelena myself.
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Chairish1976 Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:05 am

Yep, I think there's a couple other Angelenos on here too. Isn't Richard in L.A.? I forget..

I know where you are talking about and that's a cool area. I have friends on all sides of you lol Silverlake, Alhambra, Pasadena, etc. I'm looking for somewhere more foresty like Kirkwood, MO or inexpensive and closer to the ocean like Seattle. I don't like the dense population of areas in L.A. And sometimes I think I am just tired of the L.A. area after living here my whole life.

I'm kinda feeling like moving out of state will offer a fresh perspective if nothing else, but I'm trying to keep in mind the factors affecting my health too so I'm not going to end up in a worse position. For example, I know Missouri doesn't offer state disability insurance. I will only be moving out there if I can get stable enough health-wise to work consistently, otherwise it would be a mistake to leave the state support I have in CA right now. Some days I feel like I'm getting there, other days not so much, so we'll see.
Chairish1976
Chairish1976

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:18 am

I don't know Silverlake personally, but I do live very close to Alhambra and Pasadena. From my backyard, which overlooks the Arroyo Seco, a valley carved out by a now-non-existent river (hence "Dry River" in Spanish), you can see South Pasadena and Alhambra. And we're just a couple blocks for Pasadena.

Richard is actually in Northern California, near Chico, so he is on the other side of this state. Mianna used to live in Southern California too, but she's now in the northern part of the state. Auntie Bubbs is in Ventura.
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:58 pm

If you like rain and cloudy, then what are you waiting for? Seattle it is!

I live not far away in BC - and can assure you, we got PLENTY of rain and not much of sunshine! Smile

For all that rain, we - the West Coast - got breathtaking nature, Seattle is famous for its coffee, and.... whatnot
(ugh, I just realized I know bupkies. but SOMETHING we are famous for, I'm sure. eeek)

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Chairish1976 Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:43 pm

lol yeah, considering rainy weather and coffee/tea are my two favorite things, I don't know why I didn't go there a lot sooner.

Does anyone know the safe areas versus the areas I'd want to avoid? Tacoma or the Richland/Kenewick area seems the closest to what I am looking for price-wise, but I've heard mixed opinions of crime in those areas.
Chairish1976
Chairish1976

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:23 pm

My vote would be for Seattle. I have been to St. Louis and do not care for it at all. However, if you have family there, it might be good for you.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:22 pm

I'm about two and half hours from St. Louis. This time if year is HOT and HUMID. Not comfortable at all. Then throw in wildly changing weather, today we had nasty thunderstorms on top of it.

In the winter still wildly changing and cold.

I went to Seattle for a week once and LOVED it there. I would vote for the Pacific/Northwest.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Chairish1976 Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:08 am

A lot of my research and advice from friends is telling me Seattle including you all, so I'll definitely have to take a trip up there at the very least before deciding.

The family is a definite pull factor. I love them to death and I spent a few days with them around July 4th - had a migraine every day, but I was able to smile and enjoy most of every day with them regardless, albeit like a zombie/vampire dazed, pale, and avoiding light. I think part of it was they really understand my situation more then most people, so I don't feel any pressure or judgement when I get an attack. The weather extremes concern me a lot tho.

Thank you for all the feedback so far.
Chairish1976
Chairish1976

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:12 am

You need to get some comments from Brent; maybe you could visit him and his family, if you take a trip to check out the Seattle area.

If you like cold and rainy, then the greater Seattle area is a good choice. My nephew lives in West Seattle and just graduated from the University of Washington. The last time I was in the Seattle area was when I went to his wedding a few years ago.

Some of the other towns around Seattle to consider are Bothel, Lynnwood, Anacortes, and Mount Vernon. You might also look into towns on the Olympic Peninsula.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:54 am

I also was going to suggest asking help from Brent. He lives up there and works in Tacoma, so he can give you good advice! You could even go on a hike with him up there! But if you do, post plenty of pictures!
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down