migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nortriptyline

+2
HeelerLady
02R96
6 posters

Go down

Nortriptyline Empty Nortriptyline

Post  02R96 Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Has anyone here taken this and what was the result? It's the new magic drug I'm trying for my chronic daily headaches.
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Nortriptyline Empty Re: Nortriptyline

Post  HeelerLady Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:16 pm

Taken it. Was a disaster for me. Raised my hr and bp making the M worse. But then I get all side-effects so I might not be the best one to speak for it.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Dan,

It has been the only preventative that worked long term for me. I was on it for four years, but it stopped being effective probably after about 2-1/2 years--at that point the doctor kept trying to up my dose, which did nothing but provoke some nasty side effects.

One warning....withdrawal after being on it for so long was absolutely dreadful and took months for recovery.

Good luck in your trial. I hope it works for you as well as it did for me for at least some period of time. flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  xmom Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:55 pm

I am currently taking it. It's the only medication that has ever helped the frequency of my migraines. However, I must have a horrible tolerance or something because the effect lasts only a couple weeks at best. Last time I tried it, my dose kept increasing until I was maxed out on the dose, but then it was no longer effective. This time I have only gone up to 50mg a day and I'm thinking screw it. The side effects to me are not worth the limited benefit of it. Still debating whether I should go off of it completely. Really awful withdrawl period after going off it too. My heart rate goes so fast and I get horrible nightmares.

xmom

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:20 am

Couldn't get above 10mg. Turned me into a Zombie....and yet it's supposed to be much less inclined than Amitriptyline...
Gave me headaches ,probably from oversleeping, and felt incredibly dizzy and shaky the whole time....
Only last 8 weeks, begged to come off. Migraines still the same....

Good luck Dan, we are all different...

Very Happy

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  lostinobx Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:50 am

It was the very first preventative that I took. It did work for me in the beginning, then I believe my system got use to it and it stopped. I also had a lot of weight gain with this med. I am now taking Ami, but mainly for sleeping. I have not seen where it is helping with the migraines.

Best of luck to you with this. Have you seen any change yet? Side effects?

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:04 pm

Side effects? YES!

1 - Hungry all the time, craving sweets too.
2 - Weird shaky feeling.
3 - Hard to fall asleep, then hard to wake up (make up your mind).
4 - Dry mouth.

I'm taking 25mg in the evening. It seems to have suppressed the little trigger headaches, but the side effects are driving me crazy. I've been on them for about six day's now and I'm hoping to overcome the side effects (to give to a real chance), however I've had two evening migraines while on them. But I was told it can take up to three weeks before it reaches it's maximum effect.
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:00 pm

Dry mouth went on for another two weeks after I stopped and not sure how long it took to recover sleep wise.
The side effects didnt improve the whole 8 weeks, neither did the migraines.
Sure hope you have better luck Dan.
Smile

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down