migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hong Kong Trip

5 posters

Go down

Hong Kong Trip Empty Hong Kong Trip

Post  teena22 Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:38 pm

Any of you here had went to Hong Kong? Are you with a tour or you made your own Itinerary? Which is better to go on tour or make your own itinerary?

teena22

Back to top Go down

Hong Kong Trip Empty Re: Hong Kong Trip

Post  Paradox Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:48 am

I was therebriefly forty years ago when I was a kid. All I remember about it was it was one of the scariest airports I had ever flown in to!

When are you going? Fun!
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:07 am

I don't know if my parents will be stopping in Hong Kong next summer or not, but they are going to take a river cruise throughout China. They love the river cruises and have taken several in Europe, where you get to go from city to city without having to repack your bags. The ships travel at night, and in the day the cruise line offers tours if you want, or you can go off on your own and just be back in time for the boat's departure to the next stop. I just blanked out on the name of the river cruise line, but I can get it for you, if you're interested. The cruise line will often help them get discounted airplane tickets too.
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:09 am

I was there a few times, quite a while ago, and the best time I had was on the harbor tours on a junk. They included lunch with the cruise. Met some nice people on those cruises. The tours are nice and leisurely.

Another great time was having lunch on the floating restaurants, again with a group.

I have also done sight seeing on my own, but to me Hong Kong is for eating and you get to taste more dishes with a group.
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:47 pm

Good choice if this is your first trip to asia.

Have only managed a twelve hour stop over but got from the airport to town very easily. HK very clean and safe. Subways very good. Everything very modern.

Try for a trip into china for a few days - don't forget your visa - you should bring up dozens with a search of "tour from hongkong to china" or the like. They should be very cheap and there will be many organised tours run through UK background firms. If the website looks professional and picks up from major hotels you should be right.

If you book a hotel over the net they may be able to recommend local tour companies into their favourite places. Meet two ladies who were going for a tour somewhere north of HK on the coast - will try to look up where they were going.

A lot of the fun of these trips is figuring out where you can go and what there is to see.

Have a great time!!

marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:55 am

Did a quick search of the day tours - this one is in aussie dollars but I'm sure you'll find one that suits you.

So if you do see pandas we want photos!!

http://www.viator.com/tours/Hong-Kong/Guangzhou-Canton-China-Day-Trip-from-Hong-Kong/d14-3675GE
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:20 am

I don't know if this is true of Hong Kong, but if you travel to Mainland China like my parents will do in a year, they limit your suitcase to 30 lb and your carry-on to 12 lb! Everywhere else but Brazil has lowered their poundage to 50 lb from 70 and don't weigh your carry-on, but China is much stricter. As for Brazil, my dad guesses that they had some kind of treaty that said that planes going there must allow people to carry 70 lbs. And the carry-ons that people going to Brazil have too are way bigger, heavier, and greater in number than officially you're supposed to be allowed. Some of the carry-ons I saw were almost medium-sized suitcases!

I hope you have a wonderful trip to Hong Kong! It was always my dream to go to China, but my dad only brought up the question of my going with them once, and it was immediately after we got back from Brazil. I had such a rough experience then that I told them not to talk to me about travelling for a while, so they went and booked tickets for themselves and never tried asking me again, when I might have been more interested in the trip. Oh well. Maybe some other day.
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down