migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To you grandparents out there

+4
alli
pen
Hal
Almostangela
8 posters

Go down

To you grandparents out there Empty To you grandparents out there

Post  Almostangela Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:57 pm

Hello.

I just found out that my lovely single step-daughter of 25 is pregnant. I love children and babies and I love this fine (but sometimes wild) young woman. She will make mistakes but overall, I think she will make a pretty good mother. It is happening without my say so.

I sit here dumbfounded and lost. If all goes well with her physically, I'm going to be a grandmother..........I feel like I'm blindfolded and plunged into a new pool and I don't know how deep the water is. Suddenly I feel old.

Tell me what happens next? Are there manuals for this kind of thing?

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

To you grandparents out there Empty What Now

Post  Hal Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:07 pm

First, you love her and give good advice, mostly when she asks for it. Remember, you went through pregnancy before (I guess). Then you hope that the father will step up and help with the finances. Talk about what this gal should expect. After the baby is here, love it and spoil it and give it back to mom. You are lucky to have grandkids so young, you can still catch them.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

To you grandparents out there Empty Re: To you grandparents out there

Post  pen Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:13 pm

I can only concur with Hal.
My kiddles are 4 and 9 months, girl and boy. They are wonderful, and the best bit is I can take them home at the end of the day....
My one bit of advice would be, keep your mouth shut......I am still struggling with that.
If it was my daughters I think it might go down better if I have an "opinion", but my daughter in law doesnt even want to listen to her own mother most of the time.

I was given that advice.....say nothing, even if you are asked.....
I am learning still.

Congrats Angela.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm not a grandmother yet, but soon, I hope. Just love that little baby and give Mom lots of support. Just think, you get to do all the spoiling this time.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:13 am

Grandbabies are the greatest gift. Love and spoil them--they will give you countless joys. Did I mention how special they are? My three are the best things that have happened to me since my own two sons were born--absolutely wonderful!

I agree with Hal and Pen, it's hard, but comment only when asked. Try to compliment your stepdaughter on the good things she is doing and give her lots of encouragement, and it will help your relationship. cheers flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:07 am

Thanks guys. My first order of advise was getting her to talk to her mother again and end the long silence, and she did. This morning she came in to work all tired and with no make up on and I told her how pretty she looked cause I knew there would be many days without make up time in her life to follow (and I think she looks better without face gunk).

Everywhere I look, I see pregnant women or babies are staring at me. I'm getting so excited now. It's finally sunk in and its a great thing that is happening.
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:01 pm

I remember way back in school when the girls didn't wear makeup. They looked fresh and natural. I could not understand when they started painting their faces. Besides, they taste better without it. Think about licking that cake of makeup that you put on your face. Now think how the guy feels kissing all of that junk. Talk about brain washing. The makeup ad guys have done a good job.

Hal

Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:02 pm

My mum always told me that you should wear your make up so that you look as if you arent wearing any.
I have always used very little....even in the 60s. I have never had a cleansing routine either.
Never bothered about getting it off before bed, and athough my skin is not perfect, I dont have wrinkles yet.
I did say yet. lol!

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:28 pm

I'm a step-grandmother, 6 times over. When I married my husband eleven years ago, I had 3 already in place!

The first two knew their biological grandmother (she passed away about a year before we married) so they call me by my first name. The third one was born a year before we married and his parents decided to have him call me Grandma from the get go.

The next three call me Grandma, too. I was taken aback as my own children were just a bit older than the oldest of the six grandkids but I was able to get accustomed to the moniker before they started talking.

Grandkids are the best. You get to spoil them and love them with impunity! ;-)

lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:47 pm

Being a Grandmother is one of my greatest joys, I love my grandkids more than you can imagine. I have two grandsons and two grandaughters, and a third grandchild on the way, plus five step grandchildren. I sometimes wish I was younger though (I'm 62) as it can be tiring, but they are all really good kids so I am very blessed.

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:36 am

I only have the two so far, but anyone on here who knows me on FB will have seen a gallery of pictures of them.
They are a joy.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:45 am

I never thought I would so impatient about grandchildren, but now that Chris is married, I have a little bug in my ear about it all. Baha is working on her grant and Chris is going back to school so it may be a bit of time... but I can't wait!!!
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  WitsEnd Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:24 pm

I can't offer any advice here but would like to wish you congratulations Very Happy
WitsEnd
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum