migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

At The Cabin and Rhubarb Crisp Time

+2
HeelerLady
Anna's Mom
6 posters

Go down

At The Cabin and Rhubarb Crisp Time Empty At The Cabin and Rhubarb Crisp Time

Post  Anna's Mom Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:54 am

After a year long absence, Anna and I and the dogs are up at our log cabin with John. It is nice here Smile

We came on Friday. Anna has been zonked by Zonegran, so she has pretty much been in bed the entire time Sad

John and I went to Duluth, Minnesota yesterday and walked along side Lake Superior. Very hot and humid for Duluth. We were forced to stop for ice cream! The sky was blue, the lake was calm, and we enjoyed it very much.

A nostalgic moment--seeing the beautiful library of my youth (with the doors open). It closed as a library in the early 1980's. Now it is an art center. But no one is taking care of it very well. We went inside, and I was struck by how small it looked inside (compared to my memories). How many times I walked to that library as a young girl and came home with my arms loaded down with books. It was my favorite thing to do--go to that grand old library and read to my heart's delight. A treasure in the West End of Duluth (where the plain working class lived). The rich people lived in the East End!

Mianna wanted my hubby's cabin recipe for Rhubarb Crisp. It comes from a cookbook compiled by Duluth maternity nurses and doctors. Dr. Sue submitted this recipe:

Rhubarb Crisp

3 cups diced rhubarb
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. flour

Topping:

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup butter

Combine rhubarb, sugar, and flour. Place in a greased 9X13 inch pan. Combine brown sugar, oats, and flour. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over rhubarb mixture. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.

No big plans for the rest of the week. We'll probably go to Moose Lake today--a short drive.

My hubby picked wild raspberries in the yard this morning. They are just starting to peak.

By the way, my profile pic is a painting of the lake near downtown, in our community at home. There is a boardwalk there, just like in Duluth.

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

At The Cabin and Rhubarb Crisp Time Empty Re: At The Cabin and Rhubarb Crisp Time

Post  HeelerLady Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:18 am

Love the mental picture Cheryl. Smile Helps that I've actually been there and know what you're talking about minus the Library.

Things from childhood never appear the same in adulthood. We saw things from a different perspective then and it's not the same as how we see them now.

I love Rhubarb Crisp - one of my all time favorite desserts. I could eat the whole pan by myself. Very Happy Recipe is very similar to that of my grandmothers. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

At The Cabin and Rhubarb Crisp Time Empty Re: At The Cabin and Rhubarb Crisp Time

Post  Mianna Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Thank You! And I already asked if you had stopped for Ice Cream in Duluth! And you did!! memories................
Mianna
Mianna

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:16 pm

Double cone of maple nut. Too good.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:05 pm

Let's all meet at the cabin for Rhubarb Crisp. I wrote that down and am going to make some. It sure sounds great.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:50 pm

Mianna and family came to visit us last year Smile

So far, nobody this year. But lately, I've only been to the cabin once a year.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:26 am

You give a great mental picture of what it is like there. I especially visualize the library, as I had the same experiences with my own library as a girl. Mine was a very small building, but it had a lot of children's books, and I read to my heart's content!

Maple nut ice cream sounds good! I don't think I've ever had that before!
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Mianna Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:36 pm

I'm going to follow that recipe first with apricots, several varities.....that we were given down here at my MIL's in So.Calif. Plan to do it tomorrow when we'll be having guests. But when I get home....I'll be doing the rhubarb as hubby loves it.
Mianna
Mianna

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:07 am

Mmmmm.....rhubarb crisp, maplenut ice cream. What good memories.

An alternative to maplenut ice cream is plain vanilla ice cream drizzled with real Minnesota maple syrup (my uncle harvested maple syrup from the maple trees on his farm by Fergus Falls, MN).

I'm glad you're enjoying your cabin time, Cheryl. Wish you could go more often. flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down