migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to wear?

5 posters

Go down

What to wear? Empty What to wear?

Post  moominamy Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:33 am

Hubby and I are going to an award ceremony on Thursday. He has been nominated for a national award for his achievements at work (very proud!). It starts at 12pm and the invite says 'lounge suits'. This seems to mean normal business suits for men, so he's sorted. But I have no idea!

I have a very small baby bump forming, so most of my clothes still fit ok. But as no-one will know me I wanted to steer away from anything too clingy in case there was the "is she fat or pregnant" problem.

Been googling what Lounge suit means as a dress code and it seems to be not quite cocktail dresses but maybe a bit smarter than office wear, but seems very wishy washy and open to interpretation.

All my LBD's (little black dresses), indeed all my dresses, are quite clingy or defined around the middle (my waist and stomach was always one of my favourite bits of me). Aargh!

Amy and BoB

moominamy

Back to top Go down

What to wear? Empty Re: What to wear?

Post  Mianna Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:42 am

The phrase 'lounge suits' are unique for us Americans I think. I'd really have to understand that definition first. Don't they always say it's pretty difficult to go wrong with a LBD.....and add a wrap or something with a splash of Christmas color!

Big time congrats to hubby!
Mianna
Mianna

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:54 am

aww i have to say i've been there recently with the baby bump or fat issue. i bet you think you look worse than you are. you probably will look slammin in a lbd Laughing i look back at my pictures when i was 4m along and i was like, DAMN i was one hot pregnant lady and i realize now i should have shown my belly a bit more than i did. i still looked wonderful, and i didnt show it off because of my silly pregnant insecurities. i wish i had more pictures to cherish of my beautiful bump. i know everyone is different, so you should go with what you are comfortable with but please keep that in mind

oh yes and edit for congrats to hubs! and even more so edit for congrats to both for baby on way
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Amy;

How about a dress with a very full skirt gathered, or pleated, into a high empire waistline?

Mule Kick
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

What to wear? Empty RE: What to wear

Post  jewel6 Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:59 pm

How about separates? Nice black dress pants and a flow-y top that will cover the baby bump. I agree that you don't want a clingy dress. I'm sure whatever you choose, it will be beautiful. Let us know what you decide. sunny

Julie
jewel6
jewel6

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:14 am

Well I had a major trying on session last night. Basically all my dresses look strange, material pulled forward onto waist from bottom, hems look wonky etc, so they're out. Can't really afford new stuff. We have a strict baby budget spreadsheet I set up and I'm trying to stick well under it. I have a few bits of maternity wear I got in the sales such as jeans, leggings and some tops but they're all a bit too casual as that's what I live in.

So it's basically down to two options. 1) Navy pinstripe trousers, dusky pink short sleeve chiffon blouse with navy swirl in it and pink heels or 2) Black knee length skirt, quite floaty, with a black lace top with puffy short sleeves and black 'dolly' shoes (aka Mary Janes over here, no idea what you call them Stateside!). If it's cold I'm stuffed as I have no jackets or smart cardigans etc that go with either outfit. Might have to be a pashmina.

This is so frustrating. I don't normally have girly what-shall-I-wear moments but my changing shape and wanting to look presentable for hubby have turned this into a big palava in my mind. I normally scrub up well and I need to remind myself I still have a fab figure (with new improved boobs, although a big reason half my clothes don't fit!). Think I'll go for the trousers, they're not going to fit much longer!

Thanks

Amy and BoB

moominamy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down