migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone use Oxycontin? Please PM me

+10
HeelerLady
AuntieBubbs
Sara79
estre004
Anna's Mom
milo
tortoisegirl
Brent
02R96
Paradox
14 posters

Go down

Does anyone use Oxycontin?  Please PM me Empty Does anyone use Oxycontin? Please PM me

Post  Paradox Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:23 pm

Well, no magic answers today from the new neuro, but I understand, I'm coming in with a complaint he hasn't treated me for, my records are scattered over the years and he wants to start at square one. Square one being a new back brace and exercises, and alternating heat and ice. I see him again in a month.

He is giving me good pain relief until we find out what is wrong. He just included Oxycontin into my regime. I felt like a sap-sucker crying in his office when he brought that up. He is being conscientious, kind, and is doing his best to keep me out of pain, but I was upset that I've reached a point where more narcotics need to be used.

not where I wanted to be. But, he said he WILL the bottom of it. And I am confident he will stick with me.

Anyhow, I've never been on a time-release opiod, nor used so much before and I have questions. If you would be willing to help me out please PM me. My PM name is paradox.

Thanks.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Does anyone use Oxycontin?  Please PM me Empty Re: Does anyone use Oxycontin? Please PM me

Post  02R96 Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:57 pm

Check your messages... Smile
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Does anyone use Oxycontin?  Please PM me Empty Re: Does anyone use Oxycontin? Please PM me

Post  Brent Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:25 pm

My doc gave it to me after testicular surgery but also gave me 7.5 Vicodine and Vistiril to keep it all down. By it's self it wasn't much help since it's time released. The street demand for it comes from grinding it up to get the full strength in one hit.

It will plug you up real fast and that's even if you are taking all the "counter measures". I came close to an ER visit because of that.

I hope it helps you, I know what that pain feels like.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:48 pm

I have Zofran so I can try that if I need it. Nausea just...well stinks. Pain gives me nausea and now the pain meds will too. No fair!

I know I need to drink a lot of water, should I use a stool softener too? Thats one of the issues Im concerned about.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:02 pm

I haven't taken Oxy, but I do take long acting opiates. PM me any questions you have as that's an easier way for me to deal with it than right my life story. Smile Miralax is my favorite laxative. Better to take it at the first sign of any digestive, a tiny bit every day, then waiting until things get backed up. Let your dentist know at your next cleaning as opiates can also cause dry mouth which can cause increased tooth decay and other issues. I experimented with different opiates until I found one that doesn't give me nausea (except it does make me much more prone to car sickness, so I take my Zofran for that). If the Oxy causes nausea after giving it a fair shot, there are many others to try. Do you have a breakthrough pain medication, or just the long acting? Most doctors have you on one med around the clock and another one (or a short acting lower dose of the same med) to take as needed, whether its a couple times a day or a couple times a week. Look up the laws in your area on driving under the influence of meds. I know in my state even with a Rx, if the officer thinks I'm impaired, I can get a DUI. Something to be aware and informed of so you can make the choice about driving. I do because I've never felt impaired, and even had my husband check out my driving when I started on the meds in case I couldn't notice anything. I found it best to tell no one about my opiate use besides my husband because of the stigma and the safety (if you tell a friend and they tell someone shady, they might break into your house to sell your meds or similar...). I hope you find some relief. A good goal is 50% relief, because much more than that and you're over dosing, risking more side effects and increased tolerance. I'm able to achieve this on a good day. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:10 pm

yes, I have break through meds.

Is the miralax OTC?

I'm canceling an out of town meeting tomorrow because I don't want to drive.

Oh, learned today that I have to carry my meds in the prescription bottle rather than in my cute little pill box that matches my cute little pocketbook! Yikes! Silly me!!!!! The Dr receptionist ssaid I could be arrested for carrying them the way I am.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:18 pm

Oxy is what or ER's give you to go when you leave.

I've only used Oxy out of the ER's and it was during a time where nothing was helping my pain, so they didn't work for me either.

They are VERY sought after for users, so do be cautious about that. I'd keep it to a very trusted circle of friends about having them.

I hope they work for you.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:27 am

Yes, Milo. The pharamacist told me to keep it under my belt. He said if word gets around that peoples homes are actually broken into! And purses stolen! Yikes!

Plus, I think many people don't understand pain management...at least that's been my experience.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 am

What a way to ruin your life:

http://www.twincities.com/news/ci_15402222?source=rss

What people will do to get drugs...

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:07 am

Cheryl - I read that this morning. So sad. The person who did that could be an otherwise decent person. Drug addiction spoils so many lives.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:57 am

Just think of how his parents must feel. A good Scandinavian Minnesota boy gone bad...incredibly sad and terrible.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:07 am

It is sad to see.

But, that's also why I don't bring up to people around me (other than hubby and son) pain management. People jump to this conclusion rather than realizing the millions of people who use pain med's as directed and prescribed who for legitimate chronic pain purposes.

In proper pain management there is NEVER any "high" or euphoria. It simply brings the pain down to a tolerable level. Even with my med's I'm not without pain. But last night it felt like a blessing to be able to describe to my husband that the pain was mild. And, be able to get a little sleep.

But yes, my heart goes out to those who are addicted and for their families. I don't think anyone would WANT to be like this man.

Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:14 am

You are right Charlotte. Although it is a very sad thing for the abuser, they also give the drugs a bad rap when they are used for what they weren't intended for, and thus making it harder for people that really need them to get them.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:28 am

Charlotte-

In the US Miralax has now been allowed OTC, just go to anywhere that has OTC meds. I've seen it in my grocery stores.

HTH

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:06 pm

I sometimes wonder if someone like that started out as a chronic pain sufferer who went improperly treated...
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Charlotte, I remember you had tried Stadol when on vacation? Did that not work for you?

You can try PMing me if you want, but you know my computer access is pretty poor right now. GRRR.

Hope the Oxy is giving you some relief!
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:26 pm

The stadol just made me feel congested. Plus, my primary pain issue right now is my lower back.

I just made a dessert. I can't tell you thenlast time I cooked, standing in the kitchen is to painful. I'm paying for it now but it was nice to be able to do something!

Still some pain today, but I was able to sit through a afternoon of meetings at work. I made it through a full work day. Woo hoo!

Oh, I finally got authorized for my MRI! Friday morning. I'm happy to find have that hurdle cleared.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:44 am

Charlotte,

Hooray for things coming through on the MRI! Hope they can figure out what's going on with your back and have a good treatment solution. Very Happy

I know, it's wonderful to get things accomplished at home then it comes time to pay the piper. I mowed the yard and paid bills and played with the dogs last night and my head is letting me know it's not happy. Ugh.

Hopefully, the back issues can be resolved so all you have to do is deal with your head. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:15 am

Howdy

This is a most solid discussion - tell only trusted few, prescription bottle in purse, plumbing issues, etc.

I have used pain medications for almost 10 years. July 27th is the 10th anniversary of my continuous daily migraine symptoms. Shall I bake a cake? LOL

Anyway, I want you to be aware of a few concepts.

There is huge difference between short term ( afew days maybe?) use, physical dependency, and addicition. We all understand ER type use - use a few days and then stop.

But when one uses pain medications for the long term - weeks, months, years - physical dependency is likely. All this means is that when the medication is stopped, one's body will want it back and create phantom symptoms to get it - i.e. withdrawal. For oxycodone, I know that if one suddenly stops, extreme flu like symptoms will ensue for a few days. A doctor can teach one how to tritate down and avoid the withdrawal symptoms.

I have recently been discussing cessation of daily pain management with my doctor. He predicts a period of uncomfortable symptoms for 6 weeks to 9 months in my case. We are holding off THAT scenario for the present.

Addiction is a different critter all together. when one is addicted to a medication, thinking and actions and emotions change. The addicted person is not only physically dependent but also has a "relationship" with the substance ... the person will choose the substance over family, friends, and colleagues. AND the person will act in the interest of maintaining his/her relationship with the substance no matter what - the person will lie, cheat, steal - do whatever is necessary to maintain the relationship with the narcotic.

Years ago we had a most sad addict here at Ronda's. She WAS in a tight fix with migraines ... BUT she also developed an addiction to her pain medications. Another Rondonian had some pain medications and lived near this woman. The addict befriended the other Rondonian ONLY to the extent necessary to obtain some of her pain medications ... a completely false "friendship", rather pure manipulation solely to obtain pain medication. She went ot any length necessary to obtain her "beloved" drug. Over a very short course of time, we watched as she chose the drug over us here, friends nearby, and her husband - the drug was more important to her.

So it is vital to understand the difference between dependency and addiction. AND it is vital to LISTEN carefully if friend, spouse, parent, child says that one is choosing the medication over a relationship. Of course sometimes, loved ones simply do not understand pain management - but their comments are still worth careful conideration.

Proper dosage is also critical - listen carefully to your physician. Often young folks (under 35) and some older folks develop tolerance - it takes ever increasing amounts to achieve the same level of pain relief. BUT often times one's level of pain changes ... up and down. The goal is to bring constant severe pain to be intermittment manageable pain levels. The goal is not "no pain." With "no pain" one is sedated - not too much fun! "Just enough so the patient can function" = the goal.

It appears to me that you are solidly on the right track. Get the constipation under control - and enjoy cooking and working and loving your family. Sounds just great to me.
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:46 am

Charlotte, I hadn't realized the oxy was for your back. Sad I'd forgotten your back was giving you such pain. I'm sorry for that. I hope it works for you. I've never taken it, but similar drugs (vicoden, hydrocodone) don't work on my head, so I've never been keen to try oxycodone. And after everything I've heard about addiction, I'd be scared to try it, but then again, back pain is very different from migraine pain, isn't it?

Sending positive thoughts your way!
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:38 pm

Just a sidenote- I don't know if anyone remembers (Charlotte, you may) but my former obnoxious upstairs neighbors did drugs a lot. I heard banging all the time so I politely asked for it to stop. His response was, "sure, I'll crush my pills on the kitchen table instead." (crushing to snort them eeww)! I found out when they were evicted those pills were oxycontins.

Hold on to that purse tight!!! Smile
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:03 pm

I just started on oxy on Saturday to replace norco/hydrocodone and had such hopes for it, but sadly it does absolutely nothing to help with the pain for my head. It does not sedate me, it does not make me loopy, and it does not bring down the pain at all.

All I am left with is indocin. It is the only thing that helps, but my neuro fears stomach damage in my future.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:17 pm

Lynelle

I was given the oxy as a long acting pain reliever in ADDITION to the hydrocodone which is a short acting pain reliever. The oxy on it's own would not cut it, nor in pain management is it intended too. The two, long acting and short acting balance each other.

I'm taking much less of the hydro and no longer watching the clock to see when I can take my next dose, in fact I have forgotten to take the hydro. Woo hoo! But if I Forget the oxy the pain gets a head of me and is hard to get back under control. My Dr. Said it's important to not miss a dose of the oxy and now I understand why.

In some of the literature I read on oxy it also mentioned using it with a fast acting reliever.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:30 pm

LG, That's wild. It makes me wonder how he got his hands on those pills Shocked
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Does anyone use Oxycontin?  Please PM me Empty Yes. It is the only thing that helps

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:16 pm

Yes I take Oxy for migraines. It is the only thing that helps me. So don't feel bad. Taking medication for severe pain is a whole lot different than people who abuse a drug for kicks. And this is a long long way from fun. Just stay to as low a dose as works for you.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down