migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frova and Triptans question - urgent

5 posters

Go down

Frova and Triptans question - urgent Empty Frova and Triptans question - urgent

Post  tdu Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:47 am

Hey guys. I am laid up worse than I have been in awhile. Since starting my supplement regiment about 8 months ago (Petadolex, Migrelief) I haven't had a migraine that has lasted more than a few hours after taking medication (5 hours being about tops), which is usually Frova when I take something.

Early yesterday afternoon I had to take a Frova. It hasn't completely eliminated the headache, and I have a feeling the headache is going to come back on like crazy today. It's just one of those headaches. The problem is I am out of Frova. I am housebound in this condition (can't drive), so I can't get my girlfriend to grab me more.

I do have some Zomig and Maxalt around though (left over from when I switched to Frova). How much time has to pass because I could take one of those? It's been about 15 hours at this point.

I haven't had to take a second dose of any migraine med in awhile which has been great. But because of that I didn't think things through taking the Frova when I only had one here. I should have taken one of the others since I had multiple doses of them.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Frova and Triptans question - urgent Empty Re: Frova and Triptans question - urgent

Post  pen Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:33 am

Hi,

I was always told 24 hours between different Triptans.
BUT I know of people who will take 2 different ones in one day, and the neuro I see once told me that was okay.
Like hit it hard if you wake with it and maybe a Frova later to keep it at bay.
I have never done this, it didnt feel right. I have never taken more than one triptan in one day.
But I a very drug sensitive with the fibro.
Maybe someone else will come on and give you better advice.
I hope so.

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Frova and Triptans question - urgent Empty Re: Frova and Triptans question - urgent

Post  sherri b Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:10 pm

I have mixed the triptans... 2 or 3 different kinds a day. And up to 4 per day.... It was out of being desperate, and not caring if I woke up. but I woke up and was fine.
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:50 pm

I wouldn't do this unless your doctor approves it and tells you specifically which triptans you can take without the 24-hour waiting period between them. The reason is that the different triptans bind to different combinations of serotonin receptors. If you get too many of the bound at the same time, it significantly increases the risk of serotonin syndrome.

Teri

TeriRobert

http://www.HelpForHeadaches.com, www.MyMigraineConnection.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:12 pm

I think if you were taking 2 different triptans a few hours apart, I'd be concerned, but 15+ hours apart, i wouldn't worry as much. I've taken 2 different triptans in a 24-hour period - basically, about 15-20 hours apart - before, and it's fine. The dr. never seems that concerned about it. Consult your dr. by all means, but if a consultation isn't immediately available, i think you'd be ok.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down