migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Since M with intense pain a few weeks ago some skills seem reduced

+4
Peter_sky
Sara79
Jewishmother
dizzyflower
8 posters

Go down

Since M with intense pain a few weeks ago some skills seem reduced Empty Since M with intense pain a few weeks ago some skills seem reduced

Post  dizzyflower Fri May 28, 2010 4:43 am

You probably know my migraines are usually silent and that it is the visual disturbances, loss of balance, confusion, mumbled speech etc and stiff neck , back, bad stomach that are the problems I get.

Two weeks ago though I had a really bad painfull episode that lasted a number of hours and I slept a lot after. I have had them before a long time ago.

Since I have found though that my handwriting is like a spider's compared to usual, and painting detail is difficult. (I paint acrylic on canvas) I also find it hard to remember things even when the M isn't noticeable, like sequences of things I was doing. I also have had to resort to a calculator instead of doing sums in my head.

Has anyone had this happen as part of migraine on it's own? or should I be saying something to the doc?

Di

Ps weirdly since this event I am able to do more physical stuff.

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Since M with intense pain a few weeks ago some skills seem reduced Empty Re: Since M with intense pain a few weeks ago some skills seem reduced

Post  Jewishmother Fri May 28, 2010 5:46 am

Whenever there is a change as significant as what you are experiencing you should mention it to your doctor - especially since you are having difficulty even when you don't have a migraine.
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

Since M with intense pain a few weeks ago some skills seem reduced Empty thankyou for replying

Post  dizzyflower Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:37 am

don't know what I've done wrong but I get the hint everyone.

I won't be bothering you anymore.

I couldn't feel more depressed, alone and scared if I tried.

But I get the hint.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Since M with intense pain a few weeks ago some skills seem reduced Empty Re: Since M with intense pain a few weeks ago some skills seem reduced

Post  Sara79 Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:57 am

IDK if you live in the states, but we had a 3 day holiday weekend, and many of the board members are probably visiting family or loved ones. That maybe why you haven't had many replies.

If I were to have a migraine that lasted that long, and I were having motor issues, I would go for a check to see if I'd had a stroke. Especially since mirgainers are at a higher risk of stroke. PLEASE, see your doc.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I was at a family wedding, and then I was working Sunday and Monday.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter_sky Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:04 am

Hi OP,

I have had some of these symptoms after a very bad migraine attack, normally they go away, but my sort term memory has been carp for years now.

I have also started to get stiff neck and pain in the back of the head. Just now I felt I lost my balance when I stood up after watching TV, this has never happened to me before, I am hoping it was because the weather is very close and humid today, I literately had to hang on to the door.

I hope that you feel better soon,

Peter
Peter_sky
Peter_sky

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:07 am

Hi Di,

I saw your post but have been having a heck of a time with my head and just had a 4 day weekend.

Sara79 hit it right on the head. See your doctor, sounds possible that you had a minor stroke. They may not be able to really do anything but aid you in recovering the fine motor skills and perhaps some of the mental capabilities.

I know that when I have worse pain, my mental functioning slows down. Can't think, focus, have trouble comprehending and have trouble putting sentences together.

Hang in there - even if it's just by your fingernails.

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:53 am

Hi Di,

The cognitive symptoms you describe are with me almost all the time now since my migraines have become chronic. I'm not sure if it's the pain or the meds (preventatives and/or abortives) or a combination of both. I find concentration, calculating, thinking in general, and reading difficult (my recent eye checkup was fine and they could find no explanation for the reading problems). My short-term memory seems to grow worse each day--forgetting words, thoughts, what I was doing. It's really quite frustrating and embarrassing.

When I have a rare "good" day (or partial "good" day), thinking becomes a little easier. That's when I try to pay bills, balance the checking account and do any paperwork that's been piling up. If I try to do it when I'm having the common bad pain days, things don't come out and I put things where I can't find them again. I create more problems that I have to straighten out later, so it's just not good to try when I'm having bad days.

It's really difficult for me because I held a "thinking" job up until a couple of years ago. I feel so disappointed and ashamed of myself with my shrinking brain capabilities.

I agree with the others that you should see your doctor to get his opinion on the new symptoms though. Please take care of yourself, but know that I empathize with you. flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:47 am

I had a really tough weekend so was not on the computer to see your post. I just want to say that changes that profound and quick should be checked out by your doctor asap. I have all of the issues you mentioned but they have come up gradually and most are a result of medication, chronic pain, and chronic migraines. Whenever anything changes quickly and drastically, I call my doctor. Our risk of stroke is too high to not call the doctor when things change that much.

I hope everything is ok and that you don't anyone's inattention the wrong way. It is hard to stay current when we are hurting. Add in a three day weekend and it is even harder to get online.

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  newtothis Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:39 am

I have the same symptoms however now that my meds seem to be helping some of them not so much. However, as has been mentioned - if these symptoms are new to you definitely tell your doctor.

good luck!
Debbie
newtothis
newtothis

Back to top Go down

Since M with intense pain a few weeks ago some skills seem reduced Empty thanks for the replies

Post  dizzyflower Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:03 am

I think I had been reading some of the postings on the other side of the site with fallouts and got the impression that there was a policy of ignoring some and thought I'd done something wrong.

Sorry your heads are not at their best at the moment.

Doc doesn't seem to write things down at the moment when I tell him new things so it would be a waste of an apointment. I am going to hospital next thursday and will bring this up then.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Since M with intense pain a few weeks ago some skills seem reduced Empty I understand what you mean about a thinking job tecky

Post  dizzyflower Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:29 am

I used to rely on thinking all day. It is so frustrating now. I am managing to do stuff like the washing up. but writing still isn't so good and I've noticed it for more than a week. I will phone in info for doc even though not seeig him before hospital appoinment. It will be interesting going on such a long journey like this. It will take quite a few hours to get there and 3 trains.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:57 am

I hope your doctor takes this seriously as your symptoms are troubling. Your words on your post are a bit jumbled too. It may be the migraine or whatever else is going on. But that your writing is affected doesn't sound right.

I hope everything is ok.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down